MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Thu 21 Sep, 2017 1:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Working on new bounty hunter ships. Feedback welcome!
PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2011 5:06 am 
Hound

Yah that autoaim can be pretty annoying, particularly when the target you want to target isn't popping up immediately when you cycle thru enemies, and the enemy you do want is to your right, and your highlighted target, a dart, is on your left. Turrets face the dart, whereas a Sunspot is on your right and you want to focus on it instead.

I think having full control and NO auto-aim with turrets when under human control would be a great asset.

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2011 7:11 am 
Scout

Palandus wrote:
Yah that autoaim can be pretty annoying, particularly when the target you want to target isn't popping up immediately when you cycle thru enemies, and the enemy you do want is to your right, and your highlighted target, a dart, is on your left. Turrets face the dart, whereas a Sunspot is on your right and you want to focus on it instead.

I think having full control and NO auto-aim with turrets when under human control would be a great asset.

The ability to fly without having to track the mouse so the mouse can aim turrets would be a good addition. Key binding to thrust forward/backwards and turn instead of strafing.

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2011 9:25 am 
Shortbus

Really glad to see these features coming along. I was worried they were on freeze for awhile.

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2011 1:41 pm 
Scout

sven_the_slayer wrote:
The ability to fly without having to track the mouse so the mouse can aim turrets would be a good addition. Key binding to thrust forward/backwards and turn instead of strafing.

Currently you can hold shift to manually control turrets.

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2011 6:45 pm 
Hound

You can, but you cannot turn your ship while doing so. Its a tradeoff, manual aim or manual control.

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct, 2011 10:36 pm 
Dart

I Like the OP BH ship ideas. Could you please upgrade the array though so it is not weaker than the small ship?

BTW I did go for bombs in my last run and used my helix in my huge slot till chapter 4 along with a gull. And yes the tactic you mention, Richard, is the way to go. (For some reason I got inertial engines before entering the core worlds... so i suppose that helped... a lot) that with maxed particle cannons and QC shields are all I really needed to bomb and kite any enemy into oblivion. And I agree that bombs don't need a damage boost, because they can level bases extremely fast. I would actually be in favor of a nerf if the bomblets would actually detonate fast enough to hit anything (or if the clusters total firepower was divided between more bomblets with greater range). I would just pull my ship away from the blasts and shake off the slow when bombs were in A.I. hands. They do the same to mine, but I'm able to turn that into a tactical advantage. Corrosive bombs are zombie's bane. They are dumb and fly right into the cloud and a single well placed bomb can lay waste to their production cycle.

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 4:05 pm 
Hound

Hehe, bombs are evil

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 6:13 pm 
Scout

Grytviken wrote:
I would actually be in favor of a nerf if the bomblets would actually detonate fast enough to hit anything (or if the clusters total firepower was divided between more bomblets with greater range). I would just pull my ship away from the blasts and shake off the slow when bombs were in A.I. hands. They do the same to mine, but I'm able to turn that into a tactical advantage. Corrosive bombs are zombie's bane. They are dumb and fly right into the cloud and a single well placed bomb can lay waste to their production cycle.

One question. What's your difficulty level?

PostPosted: Sat 29 Oct, 2011 7:56 pm 
Shortbus

I've been pretty much just using bombs on my last playthrough, and I destroyed everything with them fairly easily up until huge ships showed up. My only problems with bombs atm is that they just don't really slow huge ships, and end up being pretty useless against them. All I really think is needed is for large bombs to slow huge ships the same as normal or for there to be a huge bomb slot that is pretty much the same thing as large, but with better slowing capability.

PostPosted: Sun 30 Oct, 2011 7:37 am 
Hound

Well if the secondary explosions detonated about .25 to .5 seconds after the main explosion, then the secondary bomblets would be crazy effective... scary even XD

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov, 2011 5:01 pm 
Shortbus

here is my take on bombs, not sure if this has been said or if it is even possible but here goes: I think we should give players the choice to either manually control or autopilot their bombs. manual control has the benefit of being able to detonate whenever they want but autopilot can get away from their bombs and fire other weapon while the bomb is in flight. bottom line: I am a firm believer in giving players the power to do whatever they want whenever possible. I would lover to hear what the devs think on this issue.

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov, 2011 8:44 pm 
Hound

We'd like to put manual flight back in at some point, but it's not very high up on the fix list at the moment :(

The default non-flight mode makes the bombs useful for most people. I was heart broken when we removed it, but it was just too punishing to have your host ship get killed while to pilot the bomb. If we add back in, we'll probably make a button for it in the tactics panel.

Thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2011 7:57 am 
Gyro

Why can't you just fix the AI to avoid trouble and only act in self-defense while the bomb is being steered?

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2011 8:40 am 
Scout

SilvasRuin wrote:
Why can't you just fix the AI to avoid trouble and only act in self-defense while the bomb is being steered?

Quite possibly because advanced AI is actually a difficult thing to write from the ground up, even by professional teams or people with experience. Fixing certain issues may cause others to appear, and may only exaggerate the original problem further.

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2011 10:54 am 
Shortbus

necavi wrote:
How about a combination turret? Equip each of say...3 medium turrets with a special turret that makes all three turrets fire a beam at a single point, combining them to fire what is effectively a large/huge gun (think death star).

the death star type beam was not on a turret, but on a fixed mount, and used the reverse of a beam splitter to merge the beams, technology we in theory have now.

That said, i haven't gotten to where i can talk much about huge ships, but i think the idea of maybe making a tiny hangar so you could have something like a gyro or other tiny ship that could be used instead of a (large or maybe huge) drone bay would be something the bounty hunters would be likely to have, perhaps requiring the acquisition from a bounty hunter ship to use it. also the possibility of buying ship data at stations/ acquiring weapon/engine/etc. data from ships would make things more interesting. also, the option to capture bases, meaning you could go collect a smaller number of goons/data/res every so often, but the base being at risk from enemies, w/o a way to defend other than ai weapons on it makes sense to me, the pirates in the carribean, would take ports and hold them as safe havens. same is true earlier in history, therefore, why not in the future?
if this is in the wrong thread please move it somewhere it would be more appropriate. ty

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2011 8:03 pm 
Shortbus

The combination turret, I think what he means is take a ship that has multiple turrets on it, like the crawler. You put the special turret on it a few turret slots, and whatever beams are on that turret could merge death star style.

more in the sense that in order for the beams to be able to merge, they'd have had to be on a turret platform, so they could fire normally, but also merge. This could give a crawler a long range shot.

Sounds like it could be interesting, but I'd say it would need some kind of limitation, as in once the beam has begun to fire, the turrets are fixed until they stop, meaning youd have to turn the ship to change the beam direction.

Probably be OP against space stations, unless they can have them too (though the rotation on the space station would make it semi worthless :/)

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2011 4:09 am 
Shortbus

You guys are so obsessed with the size of your bombs... lol

Instead of a huge bomb slot, maybe the huge ship could have 2 large ones instead? Or maybe even 3? :D that might be overdoing it, haha. I kinda figure a huge bomb would be a little bit too massive, but if you go down the same path as the sunspot ie. no huge drone slot, just multiple ones, it could well be a lot of fun and still resonably ballanced. I know I'd fly it. :)

P.S. I love this game, thanks for all your hard work fellas. I have over 100 hours clocked up, lol.

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2011 6:07 am 
Scout

Richard wrote:
Huge
1 large bomb slot
2 large turrets
2 small turrets
1 huge utility
2 medium utility

Let me know what you all think.

I think for a better looking design for a huge ship that instead of having a single large bomb slot, since huge would have been the next step yet would have been too strong and overpowered, that maybe two or three medium bomb slots would make better sense in both looks and stopping power without being overpowered.

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2011 12:57 am 
Dart

I am not sure if it has been suggested already or not, but how about the huge bombing ship could have 2 large bombs? or 1 large bomb and 2 mediums, or.. etcetera? I think it could be really cool to have multiple bombing bays, since the recharge time is a bit slow. It would also be interesting to see a bombing ship have a drone bay, or missiles. Since ships with bombing bays are normally for support anyways.

It could be something like this:
1 Large bomb slot/ 2 medium bomb slots
1 Large drone
2 Large launcher/ 1 Huge launcher
1/ 2 Large utility
1 Large turret/ 2 Medium turrets
Slower speed, mid health for a huge ship.

I am not sure if it is balanced, but it would certainly interesting!

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2011 4:55 am 
Dart

hmh I do agree that there should be a huge ship with a bomb bay sense the isn't one yet if i am correct... but i just don't see bounty hunters using bombs... I also think most ships with bomb bays look fairly silly >.< no offense! of course sense i know i can't come up with a better frame for the ships. It's just i see bounty hunters with fast ships and fast projectiles.. so SM rockets and machine guns (Cannons) Oh yeah i also can't wait for flack point defense utility!

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2012 6:52 am 
Scout

I would like a feature to make it easier to replenish your crew members. It is hard to get them from escape pods because escape pods expire after a short period of time.

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2012 11:59 am 
Shortbus

I think it could be good idea to have a fast huge ship. Well add engine boosters and any ship can go fast but i mean one that FEELS fast and agile (because with the actual huge ships and a cloaking build you feel like piloting an invisible brick!!).

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2012 9:52 pm 
Dart

Isn't that kind of the -thing- with huge ships? Something that big simply can't be made very maneuverable. Honestly in my opinion that's the way it should be.

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan, 2012 4:30 am 
Dart

Not necessarily, with enough thrust you can counteract any amount of inertia. there probably wouldn't be much room left for things like weapons though.

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan, 2012 5:09 am 
Boomerang

Generally, the volume of a sphere increases much faster than the surface area required to make the sphere. Another way of saying this is that the surface-area-to-volume ratio decreases as the object gets larger. This is why larger hotair balloons can accelerate upwards faster than smaller hotair balloons. I am not sure if it holds true for all 3D shapes but I'm thinking it will at least hold true for regular 3D shapes (Cube, Tetrahedron, any Isohedron?). Anyone that can shed more light on this would be welcome.

In space there is very little friction, so ships need not be streamlined, thus I am assuming they could be quite spherical, and thus I can only assume it is quite possible for the surface-area-to-volume ration to decrease (rapidly?) as the ships get larger. This is good.

If the ship had a constant density of mass throughout then I would think that as the ship got larger the mass-to-volume ratio would remain stable (correct?). However, I am assuming most of the mass is at the surface area as armor and hull. The inside of the ship would be far less dense. This would mean that a lower surface-area-to-volume ratio would assumingly mean a lower mass-to-volume ratio.

A lower mass-to-volume ratio means the size of the engines would increase faster than the mass they are accelerating, assuming the same percentage of volume is used for the engines. Assuming engines scale up 100% efficiently, this would mean more thrust per mass, and that would mean greater acceleration. Again though, this is assuming engines scale up 100% efficiently (this may be the breaking point of all this - we don't know what engine technology is being used and what would happen as the engines got bigger).

In fact, the mass-to-volume ratio decreasing as ships get larger in space is an important reason in why many think drones would be horribly inefficient (they would be tiny ships and would thus use the mass and volume less usefully).

My physics could be missing vital things that mean larger ships in space that are spherical enough do not behave this way but thats what I've got.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next