MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Mon 22 Jan, 2018 7:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Missiles and rockets a bit weak? -5% reload speed?
PostPosted: Mon 16 May, 2011 8:20 am 
Scout

I think I can answer your question.

During the stage where you just have one large ship and two small ships, I've always just had a pair of Gophers equipped with Leech Emitters to prevent enemies from being able to shoot at me with anything but missiles and crew pods. They, in fact, did work on bigger ships, as I noticed that after they had their beams concentrated long enough on another large ship I was fighting, it began to use it's power based weaponry slower and rely almost solely on missiles to try and destroy me.

As for Gravity Missiles. I'm not sure if this is 100% accurate because my data is from major changes and different scenarios but. When I used Huge Gravity missiles, they stopped any ship, dead in their tracks, not being able to move or do anything. However, I've been hit by smaller Gravity missiles on my huge ship, and they still did slow me down.

I think that the smaller the missile, the less it slows you, and that's about it.

PostPosted: Mon 16 May, 2011 9:08 am 
Ranger

My apologies as well for that unfortunate distraction. I wholeheartedly concur that if it had read "Reload Time" instead of "Reload Speed", this whole sidetrack never would have been an issue.

Regarding Ion and Leech emitters: I can confirm that Leech and Ion beams will definitely work on ships of larger size than the firing ship, and on ships of a larger class than the emitter. The individual beams may be less effective, either through sheer differences in tech levels, or the scale on which they're used.

Example: a single small Leech won't have nearly the same effect on a Huge ship that the cumulative firepower of 8x on a Crawler would, or that even a single emitter of larger size would have. That said, it will still work - granted, with a less noticeable effect, but an effect nevertheless. Depending on your research levels, a 4x Leech + 4x Ion + beam booster Crawler setup can be really effective against single UTA/Civ targets, as long as you back it up with cannon/launcher equipped ships to help with the armor and hull.

PostPosted: Mon 16 May, 2011 3:22 pm 
Volley

Toxicologist wrote:
A question about Gravity Missiles. Someone told me that Gravity Missiles only work on ships that are the same size or smaller than the Missile's mounting. Is that true? And if it is true, does the same apply to other debuffing weapons, such as Ion and Leech Emitters?

Not true. The effect is just very weak if you use them against a ship of a larger class (so don't bother putting any in your Carrier).

PostPosted: Mon 16 May, 2011 7:49 pm 
Dart

Kajio wrote:
Okay people, this is getting out of hand.

Things aren't fun when you start bringing a ton of mathematical equations into a game.

That's rather a generalized and sweeping statement, they may not be fun things for *you* but many people enjoy theorycrafting a great deal looking at the numbers and finding out which are the best builds mathematically, and then seeing how it works in the real world, or doing the numbers on a combo that feels intuitively powerful, to take WoW as an example, there is a massive community of people devoted to the art of number crunching high end content, for some people its the results that matter, they dont care for the math, some are about the results, can't do the math, but like to know its been proven accurately, others genuinely enjoy the process.

You are feel to express that this may be uninteresting to you, but please try to have the tolerance to allow others to have their say, especially when they are helping to inform people about the right way of doing things or dispelling misconceptions.

PostPosted: Mon 16 May, 2011 8:54 pm 
Hatchet

In any case, missiles can be quite effective when teched up and boosted, like most other weapons.

They are particularly useful once one begins dealing with zombies - though I *DO* feel that this effectiveness is a bit too heavily weighted towards SRM's and to a lesser degree gravity missiles.

I found that standard missiles and torpedoes were, unfortunately, far too easily countered by point-defense systems, even at fairly advanced missiles levels, and did less overall damage than the SRM swarms. On the plus side, they aren't as easily distracted by floating bits of debris, and have longer range, but the range is rarely a useful attribute given that they don't damage shields.

Needless to say, an anti-shield EMP missile would be devastating. Probably too devastating, granted, but still.

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2011 12:27 am 
Scout

Point defense might be able to stop some missiles yes but if you have boosters along with high level Subsystems and Launchers you can literally have a stream of normal missiles that just rip through enemies one at a time, shields and all.

The only things that make SRMs still more effective is the fact that they hit from multiple sides which prevents a well placed laser shot from taking a bunch of them out and the fact that they target just about anything.

Normal missiles are pretty much useless once zombies come into play as the main objective/threat, however, if you're before the end game zombies, I suggest sticking with normal missiles unless you're okay with everyone in the universe hating your guts. (SRMs tend to fly everywhere which tends to make them hit friendly ships)

PostPosted: Mon 06 Apr, 2015 11:31 am 
Shortbus

Hopefully they will update the missile and hits a lot of zombies (AOE). :twisted: :twisted: