The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Tue 23 Jan, 2018 2:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Comet mining
PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2012 9:14 am 
Scout

I dont get Comets. Literaly.

The wiki says this:
"The best way to go about mining these phenomena is to bring a maneuverable ship with a decent cargo capacity (eg. the Tug) and try to position yourself in its path so that you can break it up with your main guns. Beams are often the easiest way to break the main comet but you have to be almost directly in its path for them to work. Speed does not matter! There is currently no ship in the vanilla game that can catch a comet so do not try lest you be rewarded with disappointment."

http://spacepiratesandzombies.com/media ... itle=Comet

...But in reality when i go to check out a comet i see it coming on the map -> i then move to intercept it and attempt to attack it while positioning myself so it's coming at me. I usualy end flanking it and then it just zips past me and i cant catch it.

Just what exactly does people do to harvest theese big suckers? never gotten anything else than pink slips from theese.

I have tried to catch up with it but i guess that's a bust according to the wiki.

"There is currently no ship in the vanilla game that can catch a comet so do not try lest you be rewarded with disappointment."

Post subject: Re: Comet mining
PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2012 12:20 pm 
Gyro

You just need bigger guns. Once you have that, just place yourself in the comet's trajectory and fire away.

For me it took particle cannons before i was able to crack these babies open.

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2012 2:11 pm 
Scout

Well that explains it. Thanks for the reply.

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2012 7:06 pm 
Tug

:O
For me it took Tug/Mule with mining beams, also i think if you set your ally ships with mining beams, they will automatically fire(since the AI says fire at asteroids and mine if you have Mining Beam), also if you have any unused slots(that aren't used for mining), put mining beams on them, also it think it would help to not have any armor(bigger speed=>longer window), you might want to go for thrusters(if you have it), just stand in it's path(no flanking)(also going in reverse would help) and then blast it 'till it pops(or passes through you) turn around, accelerate towards it and continue blasting it 'till it pops(or if you are using only turrets on your main ship(tug/mule/etc.) you can actually try to "escape" the comet while it's in your path, and blast it 'till it pops) and continue blasting it and accelerate towards it.

Sorry if it's messy/non-readable/non-understandable.

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2012 11:34 pm 
Grasshopper

To mine comets easily you have to keep in mind one important thing: The comet is heading towards the warp beacon.

Armed with that knowledge, mining the comet then becomes a relatively trivial task of destroying it so that its debris field will either cross or settle over the beacon's tractor beam range. You don't need a fast ship for this, nor do you need one with a high cargo capacity. All you need is a gun capable of breaking the comet into fragments, and then busting those fragments open. The Particle Cannon, with its relatively long range and good rate of fire seems to be tailor-made to do this. Another good weapon for this is clustered Energy Burst Cannons, since they're able to hit more than one target at a time, shards cracking the central mass and then continuing on to smash fragments.

I hope that was helpful.

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2012 9:37 am 
Scout

I will consider the mining laser strategy when i see a comet.

i dont even have PD yet, not to mention particle or energy burst cannons so no go with that strategy yet.

How exactly are comets dangerous if you can just stand in it's path?

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2012 11:07 am 
Gyro

XanII wrote:
How exactly are comets dangerous if you can just stand in it's path?

I think that's just fluff. I don't remember ever being damaged by a comet.

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2012 9:25 pm 
Volley

They are terribly dangerous IF you blow it up next to you.

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec, 2012 1:51 am 
Grasshopper

A comet exploding is like a ship exploding, which can damage you if you're near enough to be hit by the shock wave. The damage, though, isn't that great. In terms of how much damage we're talking about, it's akin to a large ship exploding, so it's only dangerous to small and tiny vessels.

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec, 2012 2:05 am 
Volley

That's true however, up to the 3rd chapter your liable to loose small AI buddies if you explode it near you because they tend to hang out near you.

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec, 2012 3:07 pm 
Hatchet

those comets, if they impact your ship, will kill it (even the ones from FOU)

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec, 2012 10:38 pm 
Colt

I try to use beams to crack them open, but cannons work too because they fire so quickly. Being able to fire and swing the beam in an arc lets me hit the smaller ones as the big one explodes.

Hitting a comet slows it down, even if you dont do enough dmg to blow it up outright, by hitting it at least once youve caused it to slow down, and repeated firing on it slows it down more and more. This is why i like beam weapons the most against comets, you just have to "pan" the beam from side to side to get the first hit on each piece of the comet and then you can go after them at your leisure.

I also try to set up waves of ships for interception, so i dont have to chase down the comet. I leave a ship at the beacon, one several yards behind that, and one several yards behind that one, and one to go directly at the comet. That way, If i miss any comets with one ship, i can quickly use a hotkey to select one of the other ships and catch them as they move towards the ships that were positioned back more.

Image - " Particle Cannon, Particle Cannon. Doing the things a Particle Cannon... " -

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2012 9:38 am 
Scout

No problems here anymore if i have the Grinder in use. Just one firing and the comet goes to pieces.

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2012 8:03 pm 
Tug

It's called "The Grinder", if it can't crack a 'roid, nothing can (except maybe the Titan Beam, which should be able to crack them, since it's the only thing that is far more powerful than a Core Miner).

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2012 11:12 am 
Scout

Ah my bad. it is indeed "The Grinder". Nothing less will express my amazement about it's firepower.

Havent seen a ship take down one enemy per firing but this one does. UTA fighters charging at you? no problem. just keep firing and keep a straight aim. The explosions last as long as there are enemies coming in.

Those fleet missions that have reinforcements due to high system security level? no problemo.

Nevertheless i have now taken down several comets and this is the tool to take them out. Not that they payout much in data or anything?

PostPosted: Thu 13 Dec, 2012 1:52 am 
Colt

XanII wrote:
Not that they payout much in data or anything?

Its like with ships and missions, the lower your level in comparison to it the bigger the payload, and works the otherway around as well.

Image - " Particle Cannon, Particle Cannon. Doing the things a Particle Cannon... " -

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec, 2012 5:24 am 
Volley

Little known fact about comets: each "group" of comet chunks will be slowed down if you just kill one of them. So just try to hit one of the little ones that break off in groups of (always?) four, don't worry about hitting them all.

Post subject: hmm
PostPosted: Sat 02 Mar, 2013 12:47 pm 
Shortbus

I always found Disruptor/EBC combo best, but that's a bit of a later tier.

Not pointed at you....

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2014 1:12 pm 
Shortbus

Necroing thread because I'm new.

Dart with lasers. Always does the trick for me.

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2014 1:18 am 
Shortbus

Ehh, I just take a huge ship and ram into the Comet, Comets are dangerous because they explode if they collide with Huge ships, I think they also do that with Large ships, but I know for sure they explode on Huge ships

Confirmation: It's Raining Rez and Data!

Hope that tip was helpful!

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct, 2014 2:18 am 
Volley

... just takes a few hits and the comets pop.

PostPosted: Wed 07 Oct, 2015 8:29 pm 
Shortbus

I've never seen a comet in the 12 hours of playing so far .-.