MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Mon 22 Jan, 2018 1:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How do I make other factions stronger?
PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec, 2017 3:22 am 
Shortbus

In my first playthrough on normal difficulty, I'm trying to eliminate the infection instead of just rushing to take out the zombie alpha base.

The infection keeps spreading and taking territory from the other factions. I'm now at level 71, and buying new bases costs 18k scrap. To save scrap, helping other factions expand by clearing zombie nodes and buying bases for them. But they are too weak and cannot hold the space. The map is too large for me to defend on all fronts. I cannot order my faction members to reinforce a node either. I'm spending a lot of rez curing infected captains, but I can't always find them to ask them to join my faction. Even if they do, they get infected again in short order.

I'm using ion bomb fighters to remove shields and two mass drivers on my ship. Together with a sacrificial wingman, fights work fairly well. But I have to wait for new wingmen to arrive which slows down how quickly I can make inroads into infected space.

Post subject: Re: How do I make other factions stronger?
PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec, 2017 6:13 pm 
Hound

Clearing the galaxy manually is something you can do, but is not the main objective of the game. Depending on your situation, it may be extremely difficult.

Don't forget to expand a starbase after you've built it. A basic starbase core can't do much to defend itself.

You can gift money and parts to other captains. If they can use it, they will. A faction might be resource starved if they keep having captains lose their ship.

Your primary concern should always be making a badass mothership. If you can handle yourself pretty well in a fight, I would keep fighting zombies. You get good XP and they basically shuttle you Rez and ship parts.

Hope this helps.

Post subject: Re: How do I make other factions stronger?
PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec, 2017 5:46 am 
Shortbus

Thanks for making such a fun and addictive game :D :D :D

I'm at level 108 with a 156 threat ship. Using a ion bomb hangar at 115% damage to take out shields. Then hull with another bomber hangar and two bonused mass drivers. Two defender hangars to protect against bombs and missiles. I mostly do well unless I wander into an infection cloud or mass bomb that removes my shields and then die. My wingmen are usually 50-ish threat and die almost every time. They rush the zombie ships and serve as cannon fodder while I take them out at range.

Didn't know giving other captains parts helped. Is giving them parts the same as giving scrap?

I have been upgrading starbases as soon as I build one (19000 scrap right now). It takes [12+(0.5*12*13)]*500 = 45000 scrap to upgrade a station completely to 150 threat. Upgrading a base to level 8 costs only 24000 scrap for 87 threat which seems like a good compromise. My capital is in safer space, so every time I return I pick up ~200k scrap which is enough for 2-3 new upgraded bases.

To save scrap, I've been helping other factions expand their contiguous space and building upgraded stations for them. However, the other factions almost never seem to upgrade these starbases and do a poor job of defending. Very often they lose the starbase while I'm selling loot to gather scrap for the next expansion. I'm allied with all the remaining factions. All non-infected captains have 100 standing with me. The infection is compressed into about a dozen sectors right now with 10-20 captains on the border zones.

I spend all my spare rez curing zombie captains for ~3000 each, but it's not fast enough to stem the infection flow. Cured captains have a tendency to rush headlong into infected space and get reinfected. Perhaps gifting the cured ~10-20k in scrap or parts immediately would be a good idea.

Wish there was a way to sell existing starbases for scrap. Or even better trade bases with other factions. Placing bounties on infected starbases doesn't seem worth it. It's adds a lot more to the cost of expanding ~15k scrap. I tried twice and no one succeeded. Instead it probably got some greedy captains infected.

The other factions don't seem to prioritize defending their space from infection. I have been expanding two factions to make inroads into zombie space. It was going fine for a while, but then those two went to war. They destroyed four critical border starbases that took me hours to capture and didn't build anything there. The zombie alpha got two before I managed to kill him and rebuild the other two.