MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Sat 23 Sep, 2017 8:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Having trouble finding some math about synergy...
PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct, 2016 12:15 am 
Shortbus

More specifically, has anyone actually done the math to determine the actual resultant stats from a full-synergy build, compared to the line, U, and cross basic variants?

Post subject: Re: Having trouble finding some math about synergy...
PostPosted: Sat 08 Oct, 2016 9:05 am 
Dart

I did some quick, rough checks between a 10-core line and a 10-core 2X5 brick. Assuming all parts are equal, you take ~20% DPS loss in favor of a ~30-35% raw stat bonus when you use the 2X5 brick. You can't fit as many weapons, but the ones you do have will hit a little harder, and fire a lot longer between reloads.

I don't think it's worth it to go 3X5, you just lose too many mount points to make up damage anywhere else, and you get the same connect point bonuses as you would on a 2X thick line.

My experience is, when you're poor early game and only have a handful of good pieces it's better to brick up and boost them, but later in the game when you're rich you'll get a lot more value out of peripherals strung out over a line or U shape.

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2016 6:35 am 
Shortbus

Thanks!

I'd already come to that conclusion by "feel", pretty much. I'm currently running a 2x6+1 with 1 extra core to mount a 1-slot extra engine, at...ummm...*alt-tab*...threat 81 at level 34 so far, and I haven't been feeling underpowered at all. I think the heavily-boosted HP and shield really stands me in good stead. So I'm thinking an eventual upside-down "T", with a 1-thick "bar" for engines, and a 2-thick fuselage, will work pretty well. I'm already (by the bar it shows) plenty powerful enough to destroy the zombie infection, although I take that suggestion with about 300 grains of salt -.-' .

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2016 3:06 pm 
Dart

Darkmere wrote:
I don't think it's worth it to go 3X5, you just lose too many mount points to make up damage anywhere else

2x7 you get 13 cores with a 10% bonus each.
3x5 you get 3 with 10%, and 8 with 40% and 3 cubes with 100% synergy, for a total of ~46% synergy.
i found it to be much worth it. yes, you lose fire power, but ultimately i found speed and manouverability and hitpoints to be what allowed me to win fights when outnumbered and outgunned.

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2016 9:01 pm 
Shortbus

Actually, I've found no clear, final advantage to either approach. I can pack a LOT of engine on my current inverted-"U" (optimally, one 3-slot and four 1-slot), ya know, which not only makes up for speed bonuses from synergy, each additional engine also carries its own weapon(s), of course. A horizontal 2x7 (plus your home core) could do even better in that regard (synergy plus many engines), but will be a wallowing pig in any kind of debris or collision. The game includes enough physics, that if a wide ship hits off-center, it's wrenched to that side, and debris is SUPER-common o.o' . The "U" design, inverted or not, has a lot going for it imo. I'm willing to bet at least a quarter that it's the most common form you see.

Remember also, you get SOME bonus to weapons just from hooking 'em to good cores, as well.

Currently, at max core count, I can pack 10 Pulsars, 2x Laser Fighters, Ion Bomb Fighters, 2x Ion SRM, and 2x Mini Gun. I have plenty antifighter/missile cover with the Laser Fighters and Mini Guns (plus I can outrun small craft, missiles and warheads easily), and the havok from the Pulsars + ramming *evil chuckle* ... It does damn well at range, too, so I'm not overly dependent on a single strategy =) . I'm never outgunned.