MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Sat 23 Sep, 2017 8:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Parts that can be placed on top of cores
PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep, 2016 7:24 am 
Shortbus

I have played through most of a campaign now. I haven't played the first game in this series. I think the game is really good with a few glaring issues. One of which ( which I see being mentioned many times), is that the mothership can really only be built as a long skinny line without gimping your firepower. To remedy this I suggest making a new class of parts which fit on top of cores which mount guns or can have some other effects. Limit the bases of these parts to have horizontal footprints (i.e. 1x2, 1x3, 2x2, 2x3, 3x3). These parts should either make up for the loss of firepower directly or have some other compensating ability.

If possible I would also like to see larger battles implemented. 4 captains is a little too limiting. From a top level first time playthough with no background in the previous title in this series these are the first things that jump out as game weaknesses. Anyway thats my feedback

Post subject: Re: Parts that can be placed on top of cores
PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2016 1:08 am 
Hound

While the game does leverage a few 3D shooting functions, it's still primarily a 2D top-down'ish shooter. Implementing a fully 3D assembly system at this point would be a major overhaul of our core mechanics, so I can't say that's something we are considering at this time.

The big reason behind the 4 ship limit is simply performance. While most space games have a single object ship with a few mounts on them, our ships are built from dozens of individual parts, all being fully destructible. That does come at a cost. You may have a monstrous rig that can handle more ships, but most people do not. Furthermore, we've tested the game in early development with more ships, and we found the magic number to be 4. Any more than 4 and the combat experience turns into a fireworks factory on fire.

That said, we do plan to eventually include some special mutators that allow you to have larger ships and more strike craft if you can support it. We just need time to get to all the stuff people are requesting.

You may also want to take a look at our synergy demonstration. It should give you more of a reason to build more bulky ship frames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHNuypZnEBY

Post subject: Re: Parts that can be placed on top of cores
PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct, 2016 12:10 am 
Shortbus

That video is helpful, thanks.