MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Sat 23 Sep, 2017 8:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: [Feedback] V0.6.1
PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2016 4:53 pm 
Dart

I'm back ! (told you i would be !)

133 hours spent on playing SPAZ2, good job MinMax, you beat the 131h i spent on SPAZ1.
Well... I dont count the fact that a lot of time is spent testing (like i did the campaign 4 time i believe...) but hey, still a thing right ?

So for the new features :

- Tuning on camouflage mode, nothing to say because i hardly use it (i pay my bounties).

- Secondary objectives, a good thing, alleviate some of the xp grind, but beside of that ? not a lot to say about it. Plus some objectives are clearly just a way of saying "hey you can do this you know ?" like bouties, racket, duel... Not that i find it a bad thing, but it feel more a part of a tutorial then anything else.

- Cheat Mode : Ok, here things get ugly real fast. The cheat mode is the thing that made me think about some cores aspects of the game that get boring doing over and over. Especially with the way you earn scrap in the game. I will talk more about it later.

- Mining Op : A good idea but a flawed one. If you are starting the game, destroying one crate is a death penalty, and "foraging" Rez takes a considerable amount of time considering the results, any rez spot is more rewarding. Which means you deliberately want the player to steal the crate, which we can only do later on...

- Pirates : Good, careful though because we loose completely the level 6-9 pirates in the Maj, meaning the arena grind is all the more mandatory. I dont understand why a destroyed base go flying elsewhere by the way...

- The right click way to build the ship is awesome, i don't know if it's new, it is not well introduced so i was building with the tractor ray for a hundred hours...

- Clarity : I'm not sure if you explain the benefits of taking bases at some point, like enabling more part, and the shield/hull/... thingy i still don't know what's for, i guess bonuses. You started with the little indications of starbases features, go all the way down :)

I guess that's all for the new part. Onto some core issue.

-- Economy --

I still think the game lack the Mining experience SPAZ1 had, only not for Rez but for Scraps this time.
Let me be perfectly clear, i (and i suppose others) loved the mining not so much because the fun of it, but because it enbled you to get ressources to buy without doing stupid things like arena farm (and it was kinda fun). You could go at a mining station, activate mules and do something else while your ships grabed Rez. Of course it kind of make the game easy because you never have issues with money, but at the same time i felt it was a good deal time for money.

Right now, to earn scraps you can : Do arenas, go from scrap points to scrap points, fight off pirates (harder now), fight or ransom random captains that will hate you for that or destroy bases. Not accounting the stockpiles. Basically you can either fight, fight, fight or spend rez and time for scraps in a unnefficient manners.
On the stockpiles by the way, the game kind of force you to build your own faction because the stockpile you get as a faction member is low compared to what you gain as a chief.
It would be better to have some real advantages to remain part of a faction like being the owner of every base you build (instead of you being ripped off the moment it's built). But i digress.

So there is in every game that grind for scrap (and exp) that is really boring after a while. Having the scraps mining in the style of the old mining would probably do the trick, maybe making the game too easy, but at least you would not depress when starting a new game and cheating right away after a few times :|

-- Strategy --

So, here i discuss zombies. Honnestly, you made them incredibly hard to deal with you sly bastards ! By design though, there is no point in fighting off the invasion, it's even made incredibly hard because of the many zombie captains the Alpha would have made that fly to the rescue of the attacked bases. Unless you are right next to the infection and you are really screwed, your best course of action is to use the others captains as shield, build a massive ship and go for the kill asap. Targeting the alpha with the instant attack on this special base is the easiest way to win right ? It's lacking the pushing out the zombies i think.

One good way to deal with that is to implement some sort of defense like i see it asked here and on steam forums. The other is to treat Zombies like Pirates, if you destroy one base acting like a hive, the swarm scatters, only it would do it differently.
Basically you consider every base like and alpha to some portion of zombies, you fell a base, the zombies tied to that base dies permanently. A bit radical but it's a good way to entice players to do some zombie hunting no ?

I came up with a crazy ideabefore, before realising it was just a bad thing... I left it in spoilers in case you pick something in it, it's not finished.
| Click to toggle: +
But what if the map was designed differently ? The current map stay like it is, but smaller maps are added all around it, accessible only through one point and every faction originate from one of these smaller maps like that :

The idea being, to add again the warpgates, the fights over them, serving as ultimate defense before anhilation (ah yes when you loose the home territory it's over). The smaller territory would feature one of every kind of ressources and would be a safe area for you and your faction (defended by the warpgate, if you are not a faction member you don't pass without a fight).

What that would do is :

1) Have a dedicated place for your faction relatively safe (you have the code of one gate at the start, so you dont fight over it, unless you are member of another faction, then you loose your right ! hahahaha)

2) The zombie alpha get one zone too ! He is here, you will have to pass the door before fighting him.

That's all folks, i don't think i have anymore to say right now, except this : Thanks for listening, reading and improving the game.

Post subject: Re: [Feedback] V0.6.1
PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2016 6:11 pm 
Dart

Ah yes, the disable voices don't work.

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug, 2016 12:05 am 
Hound

Hi there

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you are diggin the game :)

Glad you didn't have to use the cloak .. Many people need it to get past bastard captains.

Secondary objectives are in fact a teaching tool more than anything. The game is large and complicated, and people forget about these features during play.

The mining op "should" scale to your level, but don't expect to get out unscathed if you are aiming to get all the crates. Take some, and consider leaving. We also made the rocks give you more stuff last update.

The pirate base isn't flying really, but rather it's swarming to another location to start a new hive like a disturbed insect colony would.

The right click build method is semi-new if you haven't played for a while.

You can review the starbase and advanced starbase tutorial from the tutorial list (? icon on the map). Every starship part in the game is produced from a starbase, based on these linked connections. If you want to produce your own ship parts, you'll need to do build an empire eventually. Being a member of someone else's faction is a stepping stone to that. That said, we do plan to give faction management an upgrade eventually.

Arenas, mining ops, and bandits are not intended for you to lean on them the entire game. Have you tried fighting other captains? If you can fight a captain that is higher threat than you, you can often get 3 level-ups at once, along with a huge pile of resources. Try jumping in on other larger fights and helping 2 titans fight it out. You will be handsomely rewarded if you can survive. Same goes for jumping in on starbase battles.

You actually can't wipe the zombies out unless you fill that zombie war bar at the top of the screen. You can spank the alpha a bit, but you can't cure the infection until that bar is full. They might seem a bit hard to deal with after they have taken a few provinces, but keep in mind they fork out a lot of XP and loot. Expanding your empire shouldn't be more important than expanding and evolving your mothership abilities. OH and ya ... zombies are pretty unbalanced after the last few updates. We're working on it :)

The disabled voices seem to work on my end. The speech and unit chatter however, are separate. If you are trying to disable the former, you'll have to adjust the unit chatter slider from the options.

Thanks again for the feedback. Keep it coming :)

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug, 2016 9:55 am 
Dart

I will retest the unit voice, i'm pretty sure i had it deactivated in my current game where it is still on.

[Initiate test mode...]
[... Computing ...]
[Done!]

I start a sandbox game, all options by default, uncheck speech. Then quick save, quit the game. Start the game, continue the game, click on the "read this". And they talk !!!! I'm not crazy !
Either you are not saving or loading a value somewhere :/

And are you sure about the zombie counter ? As far as i know, destroying the first base wipe everything...

Edit : By the way, i started a sandbow with my level set to 20 (may be relevant) and i don't get the side objectives.

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug, 2016 3:42 pm 
Hound

I'll look into these issues. Thanks for the report.