MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Tue 24 Oct, 2017 12:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Love it!
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2016 4:23 am 
Shortbus

I had stopped playing games for a while, but when I saw SPAZ 2 on my steam dashboard, I had to have it. I'm a huge fan of SPAZ, I couldn't pass up the sequel.

....and I finished it in about 2 days. Right now I have almost 50 hours playing it over the last week.

I have to admit I was disappointed when it was "over," but I do realize that you're still adding stuff to the game, so I'll definitely stick around.

Here's a few of the things I liked/disliked.

Pros: No crashes! The game seems very stable. I think it did C2D once after I'd been alt-tabbing quite a bit, but most games do that if you alt tab too much so no big deal. The game saves often enough that even if it does crash you don't lose much progress if any.

3D battles. The interface took some getting used to, and some things could have been explained more thoroughly, like shield and engine boosting. It wasn't till I was halfway through the game I figured out shield boosting. Being able to blast off parts of enemy ships is awesome, as well as engine boosting/ramming enemy ships (Highly effective!). That was a lot of fun early game till the ship got too cumbersome to maneuver effectively.

Cons: My biggest gripe was the way the parts were populated/built/created/whatever. While they're not technically at random, getting the parts you WANT is. Good luck finding a Large part that's better than 3 stars. I've found 4 stars rarely, and 5 stars never. Then there's finding the weapon you want, and that's a nightmare too. Trying to assemble a specific ship design is almost impossible unless you're willing to settle for crappy parts. I think there should be some way to create the parts you want, even if it's only in the cheat menu.

Why am I only able to control 15 provinces? I was going to try to control more just to see if I could get better parts, but...

Obviously the game is missing some sustenance like side quests, or something that happens after you defeat the zombie alpha, but I'm sure that's coming.

The mining...side-quest...thing... Seemed pointless to me. The res you got from popping containers was a lot less than you can get on the starmap, and comes at a much greater risk. After popping about 10 cans for shits and giggles, I got my awareness(?) up to 3 and got swarmed by about 20+ sub-ships. Even my level 130 ship died pretty quickly. Not worth it IMO.

As your ship gets bigger you lose maneuverability... Which I guess I understand however, I thought those wings were supposed to increase maneuverability? Hmmm.... Maybe that should be tweaked? It almost removes the tactical advantage of being able to ram enemy ships.

Other than those few things I really enjoyed the game. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you guys have in store for us! I'd love to see a youtube update overview like the Prison Architect Devs have been doing. Thank you for giving one of my favorite games new life!