MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Sat 23 Sep, 2017 8:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Boarding Action
PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2016 5:34 pm 
Shortbus

So, I recently beat sandbox mode for the third time yesterday, and the thought occurred to me. There are no suicide cannons in this game anymore! So, I figured I'd ask the men themselves, will we be getting our good ol' fashioned suicide cannons back, and if so, any plans on how they would function. Would boarding marines still steal data? Maybe jettison parts from the enemies ship? I'd love to see boarding come back in Spaz 2, especially since crew play a bigger role in mothership operation now, and a lack of crew can practically disable a mothership.

Post subject: Re: Boarding Action
PostPosted: Tue 26 Jul, 2016 1:00 am 
Dart

Sending Boarding/Invasion teams would be really great addition. Firstly during boarding, the battle efficiency of the target ship gets half (due to fight going on inside); if operation is successful (success rate should be low), the enemy commander can be captured and joins to the player faction at the end (which could be the juice and traction of this operation), or enemy ship is sabotaged and there can be crew casualties after the battle. If failed, nothing happens except all the boarding crew dies on the way to the enemy ship or inside after boarding.

Boarding ships especially can be great addition if player start to get fleets in the further development of SPAZ2, so new ships can be added to the fleet.
But if fleets are not planned, then boarding can be good addition to add captured obedient allies/vassals on the campaign map. Because when we destroy enemy ships, the enemy shouls either flee or die. This boarding way introduces a new addition.

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2016 8:31 am 
Shortbus

No, I was thinking more along the lines of the original, where your boarders would invade the enemy ship. Your crew would kill their crew and vice-versa, until one side was wiped out. After that, if your boarders succesfully pacified the crew, they would destroy the ship (or starbase) from the inside, slowly. Upon destruction of the enemy craft, your boarders would steal life boats and wait for pickup. That is, at least, how it worked originally and I should have specified this in my post.

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2016 10:56 pm 
Dart

Sorry, but I am giving my opinion, you are giving yours.

Your opinion is good, however I have another opinion to be able to capture enemy ships in the meanwhile too. You subjugate their commanders and be able to make them vassal after the success. That could be great and fun for me.
Even though you may not control the captured ships, you can have loyal subjugated vassals on the map AND/OR you switch to your new captured ship and not use yours anymore (it is like piracy in maritime history). Why not?