MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Wed 22 Nov, 2017 11:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Will SPAZ 2 be available at GOG?
PostPosted: Sat 14 May, 2016 9:37 am 
Dart

Well, title says it all. Not everyone use Steam. ;)
We even have it in our wishlist (but I can't post links yet).

Post subject: Re: Will SPAZ 2 be available at GOG?
PostPosted: Sat 14 May, 2016 3:30 pm 
Hound

For now we only have plans to distribute through Steam, but that may change as we develop during Early Access.

PostPosted: Sun 15 May, 2016 10:13 am 
Scout

Tally another interested for GOG when it comes time to put out the final version.
I also don't/won't use steam.

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2016 7:29 pm 
Shortbus

I am curious for the sake of it.
I believe a big part of gamers prefer GoG because of the "you buy the game, you own it" compared to steam where, if the platform goes away, you lose the games.
If I buy SPAZ 2 on Steam, will there be any way to make sure I can get it again if Steam goes down, or should I wait for GoG to get it and make sure I can love this game forever?

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2016 7:37 pm 
Hound

I think if Steam went down something would be seriously wrong with the state of the world :)

I like to own stuff too. We understand. We may expand to other platforms, but for this super early stage, we need to take things slow. We will let you know of our future plans as we know them.

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2016 7:47 pm 
Shortbus

Hehe, if steam goes under the economy is probably dead and forgotten. Still Steam can be a bit of a DRM bitch, I just sat through a very long time of the internet dying, so it just put me in this perspective.

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2016 9:10 pm 
Dart

Gendorius wrote:
I am curious for the sake of it.
I believe a big part of gamers prefer GoG because of the "you buy the game, you own it" compared to steam where, if the platform goes away, you lose the games.

For me it's another reason - most of the games sold on Steam have a 'region lock' policy (so gamers from rich countries could not buy cheaper games from Russia or Brasil, for example). It means that, if you are planning to move to another country, or just want to play your games while visition another country, basically 3/4 of your Steam library will be locked, and you will be forced to buy these games again, which is pretty annoying (at least for me). :evil:

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2016 9:17 pm 
Scout

Gendorius
I believe Steam has addressed this possibility in the past. I think they said that they'd at least release something that would at least allow for the games you have downloaded to continue to be played.

Personally, I strongly dislike the complete control (walled gardens) that companies are increasingly demanding over their customers. While Steam has been much less onerous than some of it's clones, I still won't pay money in exchange for electronic and legal subjugation. Paying for a "service" rather than a "product" means it can be yanked away whenever they please and for any reason. In particular, this presents severe censorship problem. Make a bad review about a game, say the wrong thing politically, or violate an invasive "code of conduct", even in an unrelated venue, and Dev's can ban you or a mob can demand your electronic execution. Never be optimistic about whether a company will defend your interests, you are drop in an ocean of customers that won't be missed. EA's Origin is a prime example of what I just mentioned actually happening.

With GOG, you pay money, you download it, you keep the the download in your backups (you do have backups, right?) and that's it. Install it whenever. No muss no fuss.
Personally though in the past I've preferred Humble Bundle, as they take a much smaller chunk of the profits while still being DRM free and simple. It seems lately they only seem to be dealing with collections of steam keys though.

In all practicality, in the unlikely short-term event that steam physically goes down and stays down, the devs would certainly make it available somewhere somehow.

In the likely longterm event than steam gets mismanaged/bought out/warped beyond recognition/finally shut down, and also Richard and Blorfy are nowhere to be found because they got kidnapped and sacrificed by EA to forgotten dark gods, you will always be able to find game archives that pirates have made available. This is how all old games are normally preserved for future generations. As such I am not really all that worried about availability of a single player game over the long term.

Don't get me wrong, I respect what Steam has accomplished, and totally understand why people like to use it. That's just not a marketplace I want to be a part of or encourage in whole.

Richard
Yeah, I completely understand wanting to keep it simple, and I agree. I'm patient, and fully expected to wait longer (even after the game gets finalized) for you to have the free time to futz around for the sake of cranks like me.

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2016 9:32 pm 
Hound

Thanks for understanding. We'll do what we can. Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2016 11:22 pm 
Dart

Richard wrote:
Thanks for understanding. We'll do what we can. Stay tuned.

It's been almost a month. Still looking forward to purchase game through GOG. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2016 4:54 am 
Scout

Gendorius wrote:
Hehe, if steam goes under the economy is probably dead and forgotten. Still Steam can be a bit of a DRM bitch, I just sat through a very long time of the internet dying, so it just put me in this perspective.

It was poor internet connections that caused me to get Steam in the first place. If it hadn't been for Steam while I was deployed, I wouldn't have had access to any of my games as I used disc media, and the environment out there destroys DVD drives.

I just don't understand the arguments about Steam not working on a poor connection, because most Americans, or anyone from first world countries don't even know what a poor connection is. Try latency of over 10-20 seconds. Not milliseconds, but actual seconds. Combine that with data rates in the 1 mb/s range that get slowed down by the latency to the point that you feel like you're on a 28.8 kb/s modem. Steam works awesome for this.

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2016 11:18 pm 
Dart

Chthonic One wrote:
Gendorius wrote:

It was poor internet connections that caused me to get Steam in the first place. If it hadn't been for Steam while I was deployed, I wouldn't have had access to any of my games as I used disc media, and the environment out there destroys DVD drives.

I just don't understand the arguments about Steam not working on a poor connection, because most Americans, or anyone from first world countries don't even know what a poor connection is. Try latency of over 10-20 seconds. Not milliseconds, but actual seconds. Combine that with data rates in the 1 mb/s range that get slowed down by the latency to the point that you feel like you're on a 28.8 kb/s modem. Steam works awesome for this.

I remind everyone that this thread was created to ask developers about possible SPAZ2 availability through GOG, not to discuss Steam, GOG, or any other platform, and not for debates about which platform is better and why. I respect every opinion but still think we need a bit more flexibility. Some people cannot/do not want to use Steam (and they have their reasons), and by making game Steam-only developers are almost forcing them to use... other methods of acquiring the game, which is not a good idea in my humble opinion.

Richard wrote:
For now we only have plans to distribute through Steam, but that may change as we develop during Early Access.

GOG has an option for early access titles too. :D

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2016 12:20 am 
Hound

We'd like to expand to another platform at some point, but the big issue for us now is what that will do to our future-to-be multiplayer connectivity. Steam does it one way, and GOG does it another way. We're still very early, and are yet to even look at our Mac and Linux build. It's very likely you will get what you are asking for in time, but we need that time to get there. We're doing our best.

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2016 4:15 am 
Dart

Richard wrote:
We'd like to expand to another platform at some point, but the big issue for us now is what that will do to our future-to-be multiplayer connectivity. Steam does it one way, and GOG does it another way. We're still very early, and are yet to even look at our Mac and Linux build. It's very likely you will get what you are asking for in time, but we need that time to get there. We're doing our best.

Thank you for clarification Richard. :)

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2016 7:17 pm 
Dart

Hello again!
Just a reminder that some of us are still waiting for GOG release. :|

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2016 10:30 pm 
Dart

SPAZ1 owner here, was hoping to get SPAZ2, but not willing to install Steam on anything on my local network. I will surely buy it if there's any non-Steam options!

PostPosted: Sun 23 Apr, 2017 5:47 pm 
Dart

I'm also interested in a GOG version.

I read that multiplayer got axed in favour of a good single player game (a good thing for me personally), so Steam is no longer necessarily different than GOG.

I hope we can look forward to buying it there.

PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr, 2017 4:28 pm 
Hound

Stay tuned for a near future announcement on this front.

PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep, 2017 10:36 pm 
Shortbus

I appreciate that MinMax work on their own timeline, but how far into the future is "near future" for this announcement? Or has it happened but not referred to here? SPAZ2 doesn't find anything on GOG, only SPAZ.

I'm +1 with the others as a not-Steam type, just like I was five years ago (different account; lost password) when I had the same conversation about DRM-free then too (I believe you put something DMR-y in, though not Steam).