MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Sat 25 Nov, 2017 4:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Making SPAZ 2 the best it can be vs. scheduling
PostPosted: Fri 02 Jan, 2015 10:51 pm 
Developer

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking that we won't hit Q1, so I am writing this post as early in the year as I can. Sorry about the disappointment. We are not going to estimate when we will be done anymore until we are really solid on a date. It is just too much of a roller coaster for you and us. We are working as fast as we can while still trying to make SPAZ 2 the best it can be. We think that we are on to something amazing, and we can't bring ourselves to rush it out the door.

From an estimation point of view, once we have all the game working and can complete a full play through with story we will let you all know right away. The big tasks left are integrating the story into the sandbox, hooking up faction relationship simulation (wars etc), tracking personal relationships (friends/enemies), finish bounty system, the tactics interface for combat, and building the multiplayer combat modes.

Once all that is working, and before a beta/EA system. There will be a free compatibility demo. This will be for us to test multiplayer and system compatibility before people (play/pay for) the whole game. This will likely be an area combat mode and you will be able to get a taste of the combat.

Then we fix the issues from the compatibility demo and also tune the heck out of the single player. I have also blocked off a few weeks to make an attempt at online coop.
Once that is all done, we will then have some kind of beta/EA in what form is still to be determined. During this time we will also finalize the dialogue and hire voice actors.

We will continue to be as transparent as we can with the design and please keep the great ideas coming!

Post subject: Re: Making SPAZ 2 the best it can be vs. scheduling
PostPosted: Fri 02 Jan, 2015 11:23 pm 
Tug

Awesome, hm, i'm not sure exactly what your idea about online co-op is, and i have no idea how legal it is, but there are programs like Evolve, GameRanger, Hamachi, etc that allow you to play multiplayer through the use of "LAN" networks, whether that is full mutliplayer or only Co-op depends on the game though.
Anyway, i'm looking forward to trying out the game (if my old laptop can even run it at 30-60 fps).

PostPosted: Sat 03 Jan, 2015 1:27 am 
Shortbus

Would it be possible to create a "survival mode" early on? Like, the goal is just to stay alive as long as you can before the zombies/other factions hunt you down. Unless I'm mistaken, that'd give you a good testing ground for early access, and allow you to introduce features one at a time to make sure they work beforehand.

PostPosted: Sat 03 Jan, 2015 10:12 am 
Shortbus

Thanks for the update.

I'm going to talk for myself, but I think it applies to most of us here.
I played SPAZ 1 since the earliest alpha/beta/EA/whatever it was called back then, bought it to support you and enjoyed it long before it was on steam.
Now I want to play SPAZ 2 as soon as possible and again I dont care about bugs/missing features/etc (just "shut up and take my money" :) )

How about "minisandbox"?
We dont need 200 captains or huge perfect amazing awesome living universe for testing purposes.
Just a few stars/bases, few ship designs/parts, few captains/factions, few missons (story or not) and maybe possibility for zombies.

PostPosted: Sat 03 Jan, 2015 2:25 pm 
Tug

Distuth wrote:
Would it be possible to create a "survival mode" early on? Like, the goal is just to stay alive as long as you can before the zombies/other factions hunt you down. Unless I'm mistaken, that'd give you a good testing ground for early access, and allow you to introduce features one at a time to make sure they work beforehand.

Ehm, technically the game itself is a Survival mode, but with story and what not from what I understand.

PostPosted: Sat 03 Jan, 2015 8:33 pm 
Shortbus

DestinyAtlantis wrote:
Distuth wrote:

Ehm, technically the game itself is a Survival mode, but with story and what not from what I understand.

Oh, I know that. I mean without all the bells and whistles. Just the core gameplay. Maybe you're a paranoid antisocial loner who can't make friends. Maybe you're just mute like so many video game protagonists. For whatever reason, the factions don't wanna talk to you unless you're buying something, and you're so boring that you don't have a story.

In other words, why not let us at the core gameplay to test out all the bugs while the other stuff is being dealt with?

PostPosted: Sat 03 Jan, 2015 9:17 pm 
Hound

Mainly because the core gameplay is entangled in these features. We sort of need everything to function before we can get a real sense for the simulation we're building.

We know everyone is curious about the game, but we need to make the most of our beta / alpha / early access period. We don't want an ocean of feedback "Unfinished feature is unfinished, please finished unfinished feature" :)

PostPosted: Sun 04 Jan, 2015 4:34 pm 
Scout

I can wait... just make it good.

Fans soon forget a late release on a great game. no one forgets a timely release of a bad build.

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2015 12:25 pm 
Scout

Hmmm, thats making me a bit sad but its ok. ^.^ I only hope we dont have to wait for a half or an entire year... or longer. ;)

For me as always for all games, its your baby do what you want with it... except creepy things like diablo 3 and make a pony level... zombie ponys uwah*shiver*. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2015 6:51 pm 
Hound

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jan, 2015 1:28 pm 
Scout

We cant lose! We have space parrots and space zebras! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue 07 Apr, 2015 2:07 pm 
Shortbus

I for one, can wait as long as needed for MinMax to put out a game they can be proud of. If they need time I say give them time. If they need funding I say give them funding. If they need a ham sandwich I say that's their problem. It all comes down to trusting and supporting their vision. Maybe I'm being naive but I like to think MinMax is one of the good guys that values their passion over their bottom dollar and wont short change their baby for a few extra bucks. So lets do our part and soldier for the makers! Donate, Tweet, Facebook, Blog, YouTube, hell even Myspace about this game. It deserves more attention from gamers at large so lets advertise for them instead of just pining over it on forums.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr, 2015 8:19 am 
Shortbus

If SPAZ 2 meets or exceeds SPAZ then the wait IS worth it.we can still play SPAZ so we have that going for us and of course we can imagine what SPAZ 2 is like take all the time that is needed if the game is later than you hoped you can at least be happy that it is going in the direction that you want/need it to.

and don't forget to go outside once in a while i've heard the graphics are great but some of the story lines suck

PostPosted: Mon 13 Apr, 2015 10:01 am 
Dart

just take your time and make it a great game :) but a little update would be nice :)