MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Wed 20 Sep, 2017 2:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Captains, Bandits, and Zombies oh My! (The Classes in SP
PostPosted: Mon 28 Jul, 2014 1:42 am 
Volley

Wait... so I could possibly stop... ANYWHERE on the galactic map? Even between galaxies?

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jul, 2014 8:25 am 
Tug

You mean between solar systems?

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jul, 2014 3:48 pm 
Hound

Every time you drop out of warp, you'll be near a star, but it's unlikely you'll ever see the same one unless you are visiting a starbase. If you leave the outer rim of the galaxy, you'll eventually run out of gas and die.

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jul, 2014 1:25 am 
Volley

well I was thinking of setting up a half way station. :) yes between solar systems not galaxies... my bad.

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2014 10:07 pm 
Scout

I love what you said so far, but one thing I'm confused about:

How does the game end? How do you "win"?

Can there be a happy ending or is it just "you are the last human survivor in the zombie apocalypse, your reward is getting to die last"?

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2014 11:46 pm 
Hound

We are still going to have a linear narrative in SPAZ 2. There will be some sort of event that ends that narrative, but we're not going to stop you from continuing to play endlessly. We also don't want the story to dictate missions or flow. We still have a lot of work to do on the story end, but we'll discuss it more when we've got more of it functional.

PostPosted: Wed 10 Sep, 2014 11:30 am 
Scout

Richard wrote:
We are still going to have a linear narrative in SPAZ 2. There will be some sort of event that ends that narrative, but we're not going to stop you from continuing to play endlessly. We also don't want the story to dictate missions or flow. We still have a lot of work to do on the story end, but we'll discuss it more when we've got more of it functional.

Ok thanks. Its going to be interesting how will you combine a petri-dish metagame with a linear narrative with unique characters recurring from the previous game. To me, unless the story has something remarkable to tell (in this case yes, the idea of humanity running out of resources in the galaxy and experiencing a self-destructive apocalypse as a result, with zombies thrown in is indeed cool and fascinating), I think having an infinitely replayable concept of a petri-dish metagame would be directly limited/constrained by a linear story. Like fitting a square peg into a round hole.

I'm speculating the linear narrative has the player assemble/find a deus ex machina that gets rids of the zombies/solve the resource problem, so that only the human captains remain, after which the player basically claims the entire galaxy for themselves. Or maybe find a way to assemble a one-way ticket to another galaxy, spread and prosper, but only to repeat the same apocalyptic cycle of tragedy over again. : D

I want to mention that SPAZ 2 is one of the extremely few games I'm geniunely hyped for, especially for the petri-dish aspect of 200 captains in the same universe interacting with each other. Nothing comes close in the games industry with that level of innovation today.

PostPosted: Sat 22 Nov, 2014 6:38 pm 
Scout

Hello hello. ^.^

I only want to ask, if one of the dev's can answer the question without spoiler something of the story. I dont have worry about the bandits and even more about the zombies but "we" get 200 captains on the start of the game? In that way if the 200 captains die we are alone? The civilization fall apart and everyone the player alone can not guard dies? o.o And if i dont understand wrong without captains no fighting, no fighting are no scavange fields and without those no bandits and without them the poor zombies starve? xD

Or do captains do "respawn" in some way? Dont want an empty galaxy after long play's.^.^ Oh and by the way, how big is an galaxy or... maybe multiple galaxy's? xD Ok last question is not the right topic for the thread please~ forgive me.^^

And for the end, i'm looking really forward to this game, had long time fun with the first game.

PostPosted: Sat 22 Nov, 2014 7:56 pm 
Tug

It's not you get 200 Captains, it's there are 200 Captains in the galaxy, and you are one of them. (1 player and 199 AIs)
i'm pretty sure that zombies have hibernation or something like that to avoid them starving out, or if they are coming from another galaxy, there are always reinforcements. (btw i have no idea either).

PostPosted: Sat 22 Nov, 2014 8:11 pm 
Scout

Yes i know that we dont "have" the captains, because of that i wrote ""we" get 200 captains". ^^ I know we dont "own" them in any way.

I agree with you that the zombies have something to nom on because no one of us like to see the little bastards starving to death. xD

PostPosted: Sun 23 Nov, 2014 5:16 pm 
Hound

When your ship is destroyed, your escape pod will return to a near by friendly starbase. From there you'll have to rebuild a ship from your inventory of parts. The same goes for AI captains. The only real death in the game is zombification. Between captains and zombies, there will always be 200 agents present.

FYI, we're still working on these systems, so changes may occur.

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov, 2014 9:28 am 
Scout

Ok i think i can live with a system like that. :D Is it possible to the player to get zombified? I know its an dump question.

I ask this because i thought if a captain lose an fight is instant zombification if its not they can survive more fights i think. I was afraid that the captains maybe are somewhat fragile that we "lose" them in a couple of hours in the game and i would dislike that, i like long games. ;)

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov, 2014 10:49 am 
Tug

I'm pretty sure the Captains can handle themselves in small skirmishes early, and with stations in bigger skirmishes (if the AI piloting them isn't ridiculously dumb like to charge at close range with medium/long-range weapons).

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2014 12:09 am 
Scout

I hope it, otherwise the games dont last long if the player dont like it to be alone in a mass of "little" zombie ships. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2014 9:08 am 
Tug

Dude/Lady, the AI Captains have exactly the same abilities as you, the only difference is the AI that controls them, so if they can't last vs zombies, what makes you think you can last much longer than them?
Uh, sorry if that was rude.

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2014 3:12 pm 
Scout

Lady please. ;) Uhm yes i forgott it a bit that they can practicaly do what we can do but i think, i would agree with you, if the word "AI" was not there. In most games the player can do things what the AI cant do and if the zombie AI have at least 1 routine that clearly kills an captain its possible that the zombie AI can slaughter the captains, in the same way a player maybe can think about the programmed zombie attacks and find a way that they can solve the problem with a chance of 100% without any harm. But i would be ok with that, if the zombies cant launch such kill-attacks after each other that the captains have not a little chance to survive an hour of game. :lol:

Dont worry it's only a discussion and as long arguments are used and no insulting i'm fine. :)

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2014 7:14 pm 
Tug

If only AI that learns (at the very least remembers what happened the last time it did what it had done) was a bit easier to implement... though technically, that would spell doom for most inexperienced players depending on the level of learning of the AI.

Btw, i just noticed your name. If i'm not mistaken, kitsune means fox in Japanese.

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2014 8:48 pm 
Scout

Yes this maybe would be good for captains and would maybe lead to interessting strong fights between the AI's but how you say clearly said destroy an inexperienced or for my person clumsy player's. :lol: Let's say we hope the AI is strong enough to let us have fun with the game and not to strong thats wreck our fun. :D

Aye~ you are right kitsune is the japanese word for fox. ;)

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2014 10:15 pm 
Tug

This just reminded me of AI War: Fleet Command, i haven't played the game yet, but i heard from some friends of mine that the AI there is unbeatable on the highest difficulty level (even the creator of the game says so).

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2014 11:10 pm 
Scout

Because the AI takes every chance the player gives them or because in the highest difficulty the AI gets buffed like lower building-cost, more damage or something that way? With the first i can live but the second i dont like it. I dont like to lose against "cheating". xD

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2014 11:56 pm 
Tug

Technically, it's not cheating at all (in the universe they are in). Because the AI comes from another galaxy/has taken over several galaxies, and you are just a commander of a small human race, so even if you take 50 planets, if they have a whole galaxy and send all their ships.......

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov, 2014 10:58 am 
Scout

Oh yes i remember now, its the game where the AI-Fleet has controll of the whole map and you in the beginning only 1 system. :shock: Yes ok that is not cheating its only the "beginning advantage". :lol:

PostPosted: Sat 03 Jan, 2015 1:13 pm 
Shortbus

I think the zombies regening is kinda bad in a way, it means no matter what you do as the player, in the end, It's you vs a huge horde of zombies that you can never get rid of. Its kinda bad because every game will end up this way. I think you should put a limit on the regeneration, so they can only regen so many times before the cells no longer have the power to regenerate (Kinda like ageing irl, the cells lose their ability to replicate over time which results in permament cell death). Otherwise the game will end up being pretty pointless in the end. Kinda like FF13-2, the ending in that game realllly irked me because it pretty much made everything you did the entire game completly pointless. Spaz2 is sadly looking like the same thing, no matter what you do the zombies will win in the end, since they are virtually unkillable. There has to be a way to permamently kill a zombie captain, so that the player has some hope of actually winning in the end.