MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Fri 22 Sep, 2017 1:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: SPACE PIRATES AND ZOMBIES 2 Zombie Reveal Trailer!
PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2014 5:12 pm 
Hound

Check out our first new trailer in 10 months! The zombies have finally been revealed. We are also unveiling our entirely new strategic metagame. We hope you all enjoy the video. Please help spread the infection amongst the stars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LndzqSjt2K8

Post subject: Re: SPACE PIRATES AND ZOMBIES 2 Zombie Reveal Trailer!
PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2014 6:21 pm 
Clockwork Personnel

Trailer looks great, definitely an awesome showcase of what's to come, and of course raises so many questions.

Great stuff dude :)

Bug Submission
Known Bugs (Needs updating)
more as they appear...

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2014 6:25 pm 
Hound

Ask away. I'll answer what I can :)

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2014 6:37 pm 
Clockwork Personnel

Here's my first question, that map looks very much alive - assuming this is single player that is impressive to see all of the AI move around as much as the player does. I know for a fact the Multiplayer is going to be a massively awaited feature and I wondered if this is going to be pretty much the same as the multiplayer? If so - are these galaxies hosted on a dedicated server or from the client? Assuming it is from the client - wont the universe cease when you stop playing?

Bug Submission
more as they appear...

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2014 6:54 pm 
Scout

Sooo... No multible ships or mothership with hangars? Just one ship you build over time from parts?

Bit too much neon lights and glowing stuff. SPAZ 1 ships looked like ships, these new parts look... Wierd.

Stations should look more like SPAZ1 aka "actual stations" and not rotating-pointy-things.

Guns need to be more visible and missile launchers too. I want to see what is what.

Last edited by swatti on Fri 19 Dec, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2014 6:56 pm 
Hound

The map itself is a single player entity. We're still working on exactly how the MP fits into the game, but the map isn't a persistent MMO universe. We'll discuss more about what the MP is when we've solidified it.

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2014 6:57 pm 
Hound

You have the one mothership, but you have several smaller, single object ships under your command. You're free to switch over and pilot them as well.

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2014 6:58 pm 
Clockwork Personnel

Do the ships dock with you or are they persistently following your mothership?

Bug Submission
more as they appear...

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2014 7:02 pm 
Hound

At the moment they follow you around like a flotilla. Very much like BSG.

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2014 7:48 pm 
Scout

Glockwork / movable mothership + hangars for customized ships sounded lot better then "one custom ship + fodder"

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2014 8:01 pm 
Tug

Fodder?
Well, everyone has his view point i guess.
Anyway, This looks awesome, i only hope i manage to overcome my fear of module-based ships, because i hate it when my ships fall apart.

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2014 8:37 pm 
Scout

"Fodder" maybe a rude word but group of small single-part ships is no replacment for proper customizable fleet.

Building ships from parts is BRILLIANT, but in SPAZ1 we had a FLEET, eventually. What i worry about is having to travel far and wide building my ONE ship from parts take on bigger enemy and the grand final showdown... Followed by soul-less expendable small ships.

Use the GOOD BITS from SPAZ1, improve on THEM and add NEW stuff. SPAZ1 had the "limitation" of hulls. SPAZ2 does not, ships are built from parts, brilliance.

Player NPC mothership OR a base-of-operations should be your hangar-equipped "home" and kept from harms way. Able to hold its own but only for so long.
Upgrading hangars offers ships with larger parts and larger amounts of parts on em. Each hangar upgradable, each upgrade more expensive and needing more time/efford.
Eventually more hangars could be built and upgraded keeping player occupaid with gathering resources.

You could have many low-part-count hangars making small ships, aka "fodder" or couple high-part-count hangars with big heavy hitters. More player choise.

As for attaining parts. Same as Tech in SPAZ1. Blueprints. With a small twist. Attain a complete part, you can use but you cant make new ones untill you reverse engineer it completely. Broken wreckage gives only so little reverse engineer data, intact part gives more. If not needed, those could be stored or recycled for a bit more reverse engineer data.
Once fully reverse-engineered, you can make em yourself. Bases sell parts or data, like in SPAZ1.

As for rez, those asteroids with infinite rez need to go. Later hangar upgrades should cost a small fortune and non-infinite mining-roids would keep player moving his home-base. Obviously new mining-roids would be found around where the old one was... But who gets there first? You or the NPC-captains?

Mothership / Base should be upgradable too to access larger rez-storage to pay those massibe upgrades... And add moar dakka to the base.

Im worried about SPAZ 2 to be honest. Lot of good stuff from the first one has been thrown out of 3D bling. Nothing is broken beyond repair tho.

Think it thru, what made SPAZ1 brilliant and put that into SPAZ2 too.

PostPosted: Sat 20 Dec, 2014 3:03 am 
Clockwork Personnel

Hey Swatti, great post and I can definitely see your points when it comes to the modulation of ships and how they will be used in game. From what I saw of the trailer and have been reading I'm not entirely sure how it will play out in game and of course im sure the guys will let us know exactly how our fleet will be managed and handled. All I can comment on is from my opinion the trailer and snippets of information don't give that much away and what you're after might be in there - just not on show just yet!

Also, the 3D is refreshing and rejuvenates the art style - if its not your cup of tea (I'm not a massive fan of the over shoulder space combat), then I noticed you can also have it top down just like before :D.

interested to see Narlak's repsonse to your pose as you've raised some interesting statements and opinions :).

Bug Submission
more as they appear...

PostPosted: Sat 20 Dec, 2014 2:28 pm 
Scout

SPAZ1 2D was awasome, but it has its limits. Im very happy to see SPAZ go 3D, but that +1D should not eat away what made SPAZ great. 3D + neon lights isnt enough.

Making a sequal to a game will make or break you. Moving a huge step up from 2D to 3D can easily eat lots of features, "hey we dont need that, we got 3D now" - No, you do need that.

Give us SPAZ1, all of the good stuff it had, slap in the 3D, all the brilliant new features (NPC captains, componen based ships, living universe) AND THEN call it SPAZ2.

"You dont need to re-invent the wheel, make sure it spins like it did before, just shine the rim and replace the rubber"

PostPosted: Sat 20 Dec, 2014 3:50 pm 
Tug

Technically the only thing that is different between 2D and 3D is the type of animation, and the way you can look at it, + the game is still 2D in terms of the playing field, well 2.5D for the missiles and stuff.
Also, don't forget that the SPAZ 1 ships ARE 3D, then flattened for the 2D engine.

You are right, but there is only so much stuff that can be done with the workforce, time, schedule, environment (programming language and IDE) and experience availiable.

I doubt it would be that hard to implement equipment customization, let's say pay a small fee, have the technology, and you can replace the thing on the module with something else, maybe even merge some to make it bigger, with certain limitations ofcourse.
And about the stations, the SPAZ 1 stations have 2 parts, the base and the spinning one (that we can shoot), so yes, maybe only for aesthetics and to use space (they are ~large space stations after all), something can be added to make them bulkier.
Btw, don't forget that real space stations are also just spinning discs, for various reasons, like limited resources AKA SPAZ 2 Aftermath Universe.

PostPosted: Sat 20 Dec, 2014 4:53 pm 
Hound

For the most part, the responses we're getting from the trailer, and last years trailer are overwhelmingly positive. We know the game is very different than the first, and we're cool with that. We understand that the number of changes can be concerning for some. We're of course building on successful concepts, and reworking broken ones, but we need to do more than just update SPAZ 1. The modular ship design component is the heart of SPAZ 2, and not something we can remove without destroying the game. We know the modular ships look bizarre, and we're cool with that as well. We're glad we're differentiated from the 100 space games that came out last year ;)

We're very happy so many people love SPAZ 1, especially enough to defend it in it's purity. Despite the differences, this is still very much SPAZ, and it's fun as hell. We're still the same dev's trying to make the best game we can. We are going to have a free demo before we release the game to hopefully put any concerns to ease.

PostPosted: Sat 20 Dec, 2014 5:24 pm 
Shortbus

Richard wrote:
For the most part, the responses we're getting from the trailer, and last years trailer are overwhelmingly positive. We know the game is very different than the first, and we're cool with that. We understand that the number of changes can be concerning for some. We're of course building on successful concepts, and reworking broken ones, but we need to do more than just update SPAZ 1. The modular ship design component is the heart of SPAZ 2, and not something we can remove without destroying the game. We know the modular ships look bizarre, and we're cool with that as well. We're glad we're differentiated from the 100 space games that came out last year ;)

We're very happy so many people love SPAZ 1, especially enough to defend it in it's purity. Despite the differences, this is still very much SPAZ, and it's fun as hell. We're still the same dev's trying to make the best game we can. We are going to have a free demo before we release the game to hopefully put any concerns to ease.

I loved SPAZ 1, and, well I could rant... but I'm simply going to put it like this: I'm in, game on. Take my money!

PostPosted: Sat 20 Dec, 2014 7:18 pm 
Dart

Richard wrote:

Thats probably due to the fact that this is one of the best and most inovative games I have seen in a very long time. You guys turned an arcadey rpg shooter into a full on 4x space game with all the complexity that I would expect from one, and you didn't have to sacrifice anything from the original design to do it! Not only have you improved all of the original's mechanics, which is unbelievably awesome by itself, but every pore of the game oozes the game's theme, story and reinforces the atmosphere of the entire piece. You guys are literally creating a new genre with this title alone and I would be very surprised if there aren't loads of SPAZ clones in a few years! You've also documented all the design philosophy in some well written blog posts, so even the haters have nothing to complain about.

I just want to say thank you, and well done!!

PostPosted: Sun 21 Dec, 2014 2:27 am 
Scout

i took a chance with the original SPAZ... i won a gamers lottery.

I can take another chance with SPAZ2... i dont believe i'll be disappointed.

BTW... it LOOKS fantastic... if gameplay is as good as it looks... i'm sure i'll burn many hours playing it.

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2014 4:26 pm 
Scout

I hope im not misunderstood here. I actually LOVE the "modular ship design" - its friggin brilliant but still. One "modular ship" and x-amount of single part fighters... Please tell me "this aint it" and theres base / mothership and the hangars.

Im not asking a SPAZ1 clone or 3D facelift update. What i see LOOKS awasome but what i dont see has me VERY worried.

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2014 4:33 pm 
Tug

You can own space stations, technically anything can own space stations :D.

PostPosted: Sat 21 Nov, 2015 7:35 am 
Shortbus

With one hand, it is still one constructor which can be changed blocks only one merchant ships, considering that these games became not just a lot, but a lot, without the possibility to do merchant ships to support and even build its fleet of the game will be similar to the rest of the game (lost are SPAZ ).

I am glad that there will be a living galaxy Long live where your SPORE (1 ship, too) have to Baltaev all over the map for two things: their own survival and executing a final mission, otherwise you will die; D

But I hope it will be possible to change the blocks at all "their" station ?

This suspicion is that the game decided to make a hybrid SPORE and Lego, will hope that everything will return the same opportunity to build a fleet even as the original.