MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Sun 17 Dec, 2017 1:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Remove leech turrets from the game entirely?
PostPosted: Wed 29 Jan, 2014 12:02 pm 
Shortbus

Hi all, at this point I have basically ragequit the game because those turrets annoy me so much. I don't think I'm even going to be able to go back to it until I know they're gone. They're a deal-breaker for me, I literally do not enjoy the game in the slightest anymore now I'm encountering them. Is there a mod that removes them? Can anyone explain like I'm five how to edit any game files to remove them myself if there's not? This was one of my favourite games of all time right up until I first encountered those things, and now I hate it. I'd like to love it again. Can someone please help?

Post subject: Re: Remove leech turrets from the game entirely?
PostPosted: Wed 29 Jan, 2014 2:22 pm 
Tug

By leech turrets, do you mean the deployable leech turrets, or all (the ones on ships too)?
To mod the game, you need to download the Mod Package, and then just edit with notepad++ or something. I'm not sure how hard it will be to remove the turrets alltogether, but you can change their designs to a different weapon. If only the deployable turrets, it should be "gameScripts\datablocks\ships\Designs\turretDesigns.cs". I think the game probably doesn't mind you deleting the turretDesigns.cs.dso file in the game files and replacing it with your own.
Note: the game won't compile a .cs file if a .cs.dso with the same name exists, so to make any changes to .cs, you need to delete the .cs.dso file.

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jan, 2014 4:23 pm 
Shortbus

Thanks for the advice, but that looks way over my head. I think I'll just skip the game and this dev entirely in future. If that seems harsh, I just spent literally two hours trying to defeat a Helix ship which would retreat while spamming leech drones/turrets faster than I could outrun the previous one, recharge its cloak while I was unable to damage it, cloak, dick around for a while repairing itself then come back at half health to repeat. That shouldn't be a thing.

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jan, 2014 6:25 pm 
Tug

It's not that hard to defeat, what is your build/tech, have you tried mass-bombing him, to slow him down and have your main ship smack the heck out of it? Try some reactor/weapon boosters.
Personally, i've never had much of a problem with helixes, and actually, i worry more about cloaked mass bomb helix, than turret helix. The leech is annoying, but still.
Weird how you can be stuck fighting a helix for 2 hours, but the retreating thing is an annoying bug or something.
Have you tried surrounding it with your ships?
And just because you encountered something not perfectly balanced for new players doesn't mean you have to avoid the dev completely.

Also, sorry if i made it seem hard to mod the game, (technically, because of the game's engine and stuff, modding is harder, but still), modifying one file doesn't seem that hard to me, and honestly, almost every game out there, you have to edit at least one file.
Sorry, if i seem unfriendly.

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jan, 2014 6:55 pm 
Shortbus

The retreating thing is a bug?

My main ship at the time was also a Helix. So you can imagine I don't generally have trouble beating them, if I managed to destroy enough to complete the research for it. I was unable to surround the other one with my other ships because it was fleeing as fast as we could follow. It was all I could do to stay in range of it, much less surround it. Yes, I bombed it when I could. It wasn't effective: again, it was repairing faster than I could damage it. Bombs have a long cooldown and my beams were rendered useless by the leeching.

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jan, 2014 7:29 pm 
Tug

Try cannons if you have any (it should help you if you can take down it's shield , then with cannons you can take out the armor). It shouldn't be a problem even if you haven't spent all that much in cannon tech. You might also try drones (to keep him visible), and also, why don't you set your AIs to follow him, and you take a faster ship and circle around him (maybe without armor if that helix doesn't do all that much damage, and maybe with engine boosters if you have the tech).

How does it retreat? If it is the 10k retreat distance, then maybe come back, or continue retreating, it's an annoying bug.
It might help having the mini-bus thingie with scanners (the first ship you have that costs 0 even if you put a modded Titan Beam, a powerful reactor and a strong shield on it) and have it stroll around the area where it re-cloaked.

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jan, 2014 9:15 pm 
Shortbus

On that occasion it wasn't retreating to 10k, though I've had that happen to me too. It was literally just moving away from me at the speed I was moving toward it, releasing a leech turret every time it could. Basically, I'd just get out of range of one leech turret, or have my wingmen destroy it, and it'd deploy another. Maybe I'd feel like the leech things weren't so awful if they had a MUCH longer cooldown before another could be deployed, but as is, I pretty much immediately hit escape and reload the last save whenever I encounter something which deploys them. It's not ideal, but it's too good a game to never go back to it just because I hate something that happens sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2014 12:49 am 
Shortbus

Use non-energy consuming weapons such as missiles, torpedoes, bombs, Your own turrets, etc. There are many ways to counter leech-turret using Helixes, or other "bomber" class ships (Including the Mammoth) For example, drones are invulnerable to leech-turrets, and can quickly wipe them out, and weaken the Helix too, and a well-timed torpedo will demolish it. Hope that helped :D

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2014 1:45 pm 
Tug

The only problem with drones is that they themselves are a large energy drain (to rebuild).