MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Fri 17 Nov, 2017 6:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: BigFightforBeef (multimod)
PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2015 7:19 pm 
Tug

Unfortunetly, the creater/combiner of the mod has kinda cancelled it.
But why can't you fire all turrets while in manual mode?
The turrets have 3 modes, manual fire, auto fire and the button you hold down that makes all the turrets target the mouse pointer, but in all 3 modes All turrets fire, well, maybe except in auto-fire If the weapon doesn't have enough range.
Anyway, nice to see newer players in the game :)

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2015 7:27 pm 
Volley

DestinyAtlantis wrote:
.....but in all 3 modes All turrets fire,....

Actually. They don't.

You need to set "-Cascade=0" in your launch options* to enable the possibility of all your turrets shooting at once.

* In steam. Right click SPAZ > Properties > Set Launch Options

Official SPAZ mod package (v2.0) Cause people cant find links anymore

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2015 8:24 pm 
Tug

So that's what he meant?.....i forgot about that, but still....

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2015 4:01 pm 
Shortbus

While I realize I'm probably way late.. I figure it couldn't hurt to ask.

How would I go about adding the ships from the "19 ships from GSB" into this mod? or vice-versa, whichever is easier..

PostPosted: Thu 17 Sep, 2015 4:07 pm 
Shortbus

where is the mod download link

PostPosted: Thu 17 Sep, 2015 6:34 pm 
Tug

Under "Current Builds" on the first post, there is a "Build 8" in white, that's the link.

PostPosted: Sun 18 Oct, 2015 11:03 am 
Shortbus

I keep getting an error:

SST_ShipSpawn could not find valid entry

If someone could please help it would be greatly apriciated :D

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec, 2015 2:22 am 
Shortbus

In file "/gameScripts/datablocks/ships/Designs/hugeDesigns.cs"

Find the word "eexternalLink"
Replace with "externalLink"

Do not forget to delete hugeDesigns.dso

----
Also a small remark.
Game engine seems to ignore certain errors, which is caused by visibility scope.

If the script has an error that causes interpreter in the engine to break outright, something like:
Code:
/*
a comment, but just after the / there is an invalid symbol "%" below
*/%

then you will get a crash. The crash message will only indirectly indicate the file by stating the entry near which it crashed.
This is because its a compiled file that is processed (dso) - so you get a segmentation fault.
Like this one:

"Alert: Fatal-ISV: (/home/icculus/projects/spaz/engine/source/T2D/t2dUtility.cc @ 184) Invalid Hull! HullBoomerang 140705"

which is caused by problem in smallhulls.cs. Engine is indirectly indicating that it broke near Boomerang hull definition.

Also, a good indication is also missing .dso file. Problematic file will usually fail to generate the .dso pair to .cs.
So delete all .dso and check which file has one missing.

BUT
if the code is directly invisible... example:
Code:
function HullDatablock::GetHullThreat(%this)
{
   %baseThreat = $HullThreat[%this.hullType];
// below is the problem line
   aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
}

then you never get the segfault until interpreter in the engine gets to parse this block, which may happen when this function is called in game.
Or if the problem is within specific ship or weapon configuration, then its not gonna show up until this thing is asked to generate in game.

PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb, 2016 7:48 pm 
Shortbus

I just tried reinstalling this mod again after having issues where booster modules did nothing last time I was playing around with BFFB around 6 months to a year ago but it seems I still have this issue I remember playing around with some of the config settings back then trying to locate the issue with no luck. I was wondering if anyone else has these same issues still with the mod besides me. I have no other mods installed and a fresh reinstall of game and re-download and reinstall of the mod (in case it may have been updated since last time I tried). I still really want to do a play-through with this mod if I can even get it working properly. There still is no other game quite like SPAZ in my mind. Nothing matches the feel. Closest is maybe Reassembly.

This seems to be a dead thread for a mostly dead mod on a mostly dead game but I figured a post was worth one last shot.

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar, 2016 6:50 am 
Shortbus

The_Haminator wrote:
I just tried reinstalling this mod again after having issues where booster modules did nothing last time I was playing around with BFFB around 6 months to a year ago but it seems I still have this issue I remember playing around with some of the config settings back then trying to locate the issue with no luck. I was wondering if anyone else has these same issues still with the mod besides me. I have no other mods installed and a fresh reinstall of game and re-download and reinstall of the mod (in case it may have been updated since last time I tried). I still really want to do a play-through with this mod if I can even get it working properly. There still is no other game quite like SPAZ in my mind. Nothing matches the feel. Closest is maybe Reassembly.

This seems to be a dead thread for a mostly dead mod on a mostly dead game but I figured a post was worth one last shot.

God *** the forum is broken. Anyways, try replacing the word in just one file I wrote above and see if it fixes your issues.

I have just finished playthrough of the whole game WITH this mod, with only difference is that I made 4 hangars progress from 3xSMALL, 3xMEDIUM, 3xHUGE and (finally) 4xHUGE.
I also completely disabled all IDF ships, since they are blatantly overpowered. Thats done by cutting away stuff in ships/designs and /hulls and also reference in tutorialDatablocks_components.cs

The Void Ray is simply overpowered, overranged, completely off balance weapon, similar to IDF. Its crying loud to be cut off.
Combined with 4x efficient turret (HUGE), it destoyed final boss in 2,5 seconds when put on any HUGE ship.
Bounty hunters? Whole base gone in 1,5 seconds. That includes all their ships. They don't even have time to talk about how "interesting" it is.
Thats on INSANE!

Overall it was fun, UNTIL I was capable to produce (edit) Hammerhead - then put 2xturret with HUGE mining laser on two turrets (4x total), thing cut through asteroid block for Rez like no tomorrow => easily 50,000 credits -> 3x fully equipped hammerheads with 4x 2x huge overload emitters = nothing ever could resist. Even though I had subpar armor plating, I easily cut through level 50, getting more designs as well as cut down the bounty bases.

The Sun reactor is also overpowered, it delivers power like crazy. And thats is not even best reactor.

The mod is very stable, in 5 total days I had only 1 problem, when suddenly was unable to get into star system. I am pretty sure mod had nothing to do with it though! Also, I am on x56-series Xeon with ECC memory, playing on Linux so the chances thats hardware are zero. But it only happened once in like 50 hours playthrough.

And boosters work - shield, reactor, beam - tested. The mod files is in plain source and requires very basic knowledge to understand and change values.

In the end, I think the original game is much much better than with a mod. Without half-done IDF ships, mod only brings stronger shields and supercharges what can be put into turret slot. Never seen enemy to use the newer fittings though. Enemies do use shields however - which makes them strong until mid-game, when 2x turret slot comes. With tripple slot enemies are easy, when void ray is unlocked - main boss becomes easier than playing tic tac toe against 3 year old.

Personally, I would just change hangar progression from small to huge (vanilla need to have tiny hangars makes no sense to me), up the crew/rez limits if you wish, and have fun. The balance is simply not here for the whole stuff.

As to the whole "forgotten" game, I think it deserves to be remade in open form. Like what OpenXcom is to UFO:EU (dos). There is so much potential in doing new different mission types.

Last edited by drunkenwaitress2 on Tue 15 Mar, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar, 2016 7:31 am 
Tug

Well, this mod was last updated 2.01.2013 (January), while the the FFU mod with the IDF ships and weapons' design changes to use the new stuff was maybe about a year ago. And while the balance isn't really done, and as was said in the description, IDF ships to be made unlockable and added to the enemy side/faction (and thus you needing to fight that absurdness in order to get it, if getting it was going to be part of the story/gameplay).
But well, there are some stability issues with that mod, because something somewhere in the engine breaks i think.

The problem with getting into a star system may be the problem with overlapping lines, i.e. there are 3 star systems, A, B, C, you can get from A to B, from A to C, but there is no connection from B to C and no warpgate, making it appear like a bug.

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar, 2016 6:19 pm 
Shortbus

DestinyAtlantis wrote:
Well, this mod was last updated 2.01.2013 (January), while the the FFU mod with the IDF ships and weapons' design changes to use the new stuff was maybe about a year ago. And while the balance isn't really done, and as was said in the description, IDF ships to be made unlockable and added to the enemy side/faction (and thus you needing to fight that absurdness in order to get it, if getting it was going to be part of the story/gameplay).
But well, there are some stability issues with that mod, because something somewhere in the engine breaks i think.

The problem with getting into a star system may be the problem with overlapping lines, i.e. there are 3 star systems, A, B, C, you can get from A to B, from A to C, but there is no connection from B to C and no warpgate, making it appear like a bug.

Yes, but does it play any role? I am thinking about forking it and then cutting balancing stuff just for sake of it.

From my head, like this:

IDF: cut away completely. The AI does not control them, they are only player-controlled, massively overpowered due to all-turret design. Re-adding them is a no-brainer.

Void Ray: massively nerf it. Increase power drain 5x-10x, decrease damage 2x-3x, increase refire delay 3x-5x, decrease range within screen (it fires like 3x off screen). So that user will not be able to put more than four on any ship and they do 1/4 of damage like now. Even then, its overpowered.

Quad gun mount point: Nerf it to 2x huge and 2x medium instead of 4x huge. This totally makes sense and gives at least some balance.

Tripple gun mount point: Again nerf to 1x huge and 2x medium instead of 3x huge.

Double gun mount: nerf it to 2x large instead of 1x huge. Otherwise it kills everything above in technology.
---
The idea is to nerf the turret mounts, they are simply blatantly overpowered.
I did not use IDF at all, but I can just imagine what kind of destruction HUGE IDF ship can cause when fully fit with 4xQuad each having Void ray.
I am confident it can slice its way into *this* reality right through the screen in mere 2 seconds.

Sunspot: I am really desparate to upgrade its turrets to 3x huge, instead of vanilla 1xhuge, 2x large.

Hangars: Go in quads 4x small - 4x medium - 4x large - 4x huge. Unlock HUGE only at Stage 4 when you get new Clockwork 2.0, that would be awesome challenge!

Science points: It gives 5 points, go back to vanilla 3 points, but decrease skill requirement for levelup to 50+8xlevel instead of 30+20xlevel (which makes no sense, vanilla is 50+20xlevel). That results in 2,5 faster experience gain, so user unlocks 1/2 of whole techtree around level 150 which is near end of the game, which is perfect. Some spezialisation, but much more relaxed than vanilla.

More resource and goon storage for clockwork stages: so user does not have to go back and forth the mining.

Various translation fixes.

Rebalance reactors, they provide simply too much power.

Rebalance shields so the progression is more even, give faster regeneration to top shields.

Rebalance engine: the best engine is by far hardron. It gives so massive speed, that any engine makes no sense.

Triple utility mount: fix bug where it gives 3x medium on huge mount instead of 3x large, which makes no sense. 2x utility mount gives 2x large.

Cost: massive increase costs for top stuff.

And and and.

---
The bottom line is that currently the game becomes EASY on Insane right after player get his hands on any huge turret ship.

--- ---

The bug I experienced is not related to locked out star nodes. It was a very regular node, I just tried to switch from tactics screen into planet overview - and screen simply froze. I was able to switch back into tactics, but planet was locked out. Restarting the game fixed it, so it really looked like vanilla bug.

Regarding instabilities most people had - as I wrote above, many HUGE ship definitions contain misspelled variable - "external":
Quote:
In file "/gameScripts/datablocks/ships/Designs/hugeDesigns.cs"

Find the word "eexternalLink"
Replace with "externalLink"

Do not forget to delete hugeDesigns.dso

When game engine is asked to spawn this kind of ship and it opens the section, the chances it crashes are very high.

PostPosted: Fri 22 Apr, 2016 8:18 pm 
Shortbus

Heeyheeyho,
I downloaded this mod but when I start the game with this mod choosen I get the Error Message:
"Fatal-ISV:(..\..\source\T2D\t2dUtility.cc@ 184)
SST_SpawnShip could not find valid entry"

I am fairly new to the whole modding thing...i would need a rather detailed solution

Thanks in advance :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11