MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Fri 22 Sep, 2017 9:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: ArcaTech Armoury & Munitions
PostPosted: Fri 11 May, 2012 9:04 pm 
Ranger

i downloaded this combi pack and noticed 1 thing that u should change.
Namely the fact that all beams are suddenly constant!! and they barely use energy(compared to normal firing...) and while this is fun, its not always handy to have.

Also, the fact that everything is now available regardless of mount type really takes the fun out of it...(i mean, mass bombs on any ship??)
I can understand the launcher turrets(who work fine btw) but to be able to put everything that way really messes up gameplay.

Still, its a mod, but i just wanted to say it.

PostPosted: Fri 11 May, 2012 9:23 pm 
Boomerang

Energy use for beams didn't seem to be non-extant for me. Quite the opposite, in fact!

Anyway, I'll probably do some more work on beams later. Between the GravPulse and Goliath, I think they've gotten enough attention for now. As is, we're up to 1 Projectile, 2 Beam and 1 Missile in terms of new weapons, and two new armour types. I want to try expanding into new shield types next.

As for universal turrets... yeah, that's why I wanted the shooter/launcher "omniweapon" slot type rather than the current universal slot setting. It's fun, but rather silly. I suppose I could make more turret slot options (eg; fixed launcher, missile rack turrets, etc.) but I think that'd just be clutter-inducing. It'd also probably mean increasing the number of turret techs to 10, and that would probably break savegames a bit.

PostPosted: Fri 11 May, 2012 10:25 pm 
Ranger

anyone tried max reactor tech with 10 goli beams on a manta? i used it to cut through final boss in ~5 seconds

PostPosted: Sat 12 May, 2012 12:51 am 
Ranger

I really would't mind if u created some specific dual-mounted missle turrets, just keep the mass bombs and deployable turrets out of it!

Also, conserning beam power usage, i have at the moment only the 2 basic ones,(normal beam and overload Emitter, 3 if u count the mining beam) and they work better then i had thought!!(hence the low power usage) and i must say that using the Citadel with 2 dualmounted torpedo turrets and the rest equipped with beams is downright wicked!!!(i'm at the middle of chapter 2)

I also noticed that when i loaded my save-game with this mod i suddenly had acces to the Hammerhead and Freighter(fully unlocked) who i previously had only partially unlocked.

Side effect from the ship mod?

anyway, good luck with your shield ideas :)

PostPosted: Sat 12 May, 2012 7:05 am 
Dart

Just wondering, but has anyone had any problems booting this mod up? the game enjoys telling me Invalid reactor, S_high capacity reactor, anyone else get this?

PostPosted: Sat 12 May, 2012 7:09 am 
Hound

You'd be getting that error because it is supposed to be all one line and no spaces:

Currently reads: "S_high capacity reactor"
Should be: "S_highcapacityreactor" its case and space sensitive.

I'd suggest that you take a look at SIZEhulldesign.cs and figure out which file has that in it by doing a CTRL+F "Find/Search Tool" in the file with the keyword "high capacity reactor" (keep the spaces)

PostPosted: Sat 12 May, 2012 5:45 pm 
Dart

Okay thanks mate.

PostPosted: Sat 12 May, 2012 6:22 pm 
Dart

Now it just says Invalid reactor! and then it would say L_BasicReactor or a different reactor if i tried to boot it up again...

PostPosted: Sat 12 May, 2012 7:11 pm 
Hound

Hmm. Interesting. Just a quick question, are you running just Arcalane's mod, or have you also integrated another mod into it as well?

PostPosted: Sat 12 May, 2012 7:40 pm 
Boomerang

Try deleting the reactorDatablocks.cs from gameScripts/datablocks/ships. All you're losing is some minor tweaks to the High-Cap.

If that doesn't work you've buggered something important up somewhere else and I can't help you. Make sure you delete the .cs.dso files before running again, too.

PostPosted: Sun 13 May, 2012 2:22 pm 
Gyro

Awesome, I bet the omni-turret is super overpowered. The hammerhead would be the ultimate customization ship.

But I don't understand the Energy Stream Injector. Does mounting it on your ship somehow change the firing type of the lasers?
Also, Hunter SRMs already do ion damage.

PostPosted: Sun 13 May, 2012 2:46 pm 
Gyro

It's meant to mount anything.
You could put multiple bombs on one ship, or spam drone bays, or possibly stack turrets on each other.

PostPosted: Sun 13 May, 2012 3:01 pm 
Boomerang

There is no actual Energy Stream Injector module, it's just a silly way of saying I changed the 'isConstant' for all main beam weapons to 'true'. :roll:

As for Universal Slots; they can't support turrets. Even if they could, recursive turrets would be a waste. Yes, you can feasibly use all of a Hammerhead's slots with OmniTurrets to make them into a mega-droneboat. Again, this is why I wanted the Omni-Weapon slot type. I'm not going to say any more than that.

Also, as for Hunter SRMs; I'm aware, but they;
1) are very high tier/tech
2) don't appear reliably until you're in the 'core' sectors
and
3) are impractical to use against specific targets, as they're more interested in chasing cloaked enemies

EMP Missiles are, therefore, an earlier option that allow you to focus more on missiles. Simple as that.

Ed:
Some final tunin' on the plasma cannons;

PostPosted: Mon 14 May, 2012 5:02 am 
Dart

Haha... well in a way Arclanes suggestion worked... but it just showed me another problem... and that was the weapon bits or something.... oh well i'll just do the shipyards and not the munitions >.<

PostPosted: Mon 14 May, 2012 1:59 pm 
Ranger

awesome! defi the best color!

PostPosted: Mon 14 May, 2012 6:22 pm 
Boomerang

Two new shield modules are ready for testing! Probably need a better icon for the Disruptor though.

What next? Engines? Reactors?

PostPosted: Mon 14 May, 2012 7:02 pm 
Boomerang

Reactors don't normally add Mass, but I think it might be possible. I'll experiment with it.

PostPosted: Mon 14 May, 2012 7:11 pm 
Hound

Couple Ideas for you Arcalane:

Cannons: Thunder Cannon (Artillery)
Missiles: Nuclear missile (Big boom + EMP effect)
Beams: Proton Collider (Eats up hull and armor)
Drones: Drone that fires a smaller-scale titan beam.
Mines: A mine that deals corrosive damage
Bomb: Nuclear bomb

PostPosted: Mon 14 May, 2012 7:42 pm 
Boomerang

DestinyAtlantis wrote:
But don't they add mass to the mothership(when they get the crystal, capacitors and that massive special reactor.
They had to upgrade the Clockwork to handle the added mass.

That was just fluff, though, and most likely added directly to the Hull mass. Reactors do have a 'componentMass' variable but I'm unsure as to whether or not it actually does anything yet, hence my remark on needing to experiment with it.

My comments in bold;
Palandus wrote:
Couple Ideas for you Arcalane:

Cannons: Thunder Cannon (Artillery) - Plasma Cannons are kind of in this role already - long range, high power, etc.
Missiles: Nuclear missile (Big boom + EMP effect) - See Nova Torpedo; this is waiting until we have better exposure of stuff like explosions and their related visual effects.
Beams: Proton Collider (Eats up hull and armor) - Could be done by using the Projectile damage type, I'll look at it later. I think my next beam will be a short-lived, moderate-power beam though, something more like a 40K Lascannon. Maybe. We'll see what my muse feels like.
Drones: Drone that fires a smaller-scale titan beam. - Nnnno. That's just silly.
Mines: A mine that deals corrosive damage - Corrosive damage is pretty much terrible, though. If the missiles tree weren't packed so tightly already, I'd toy with Corrosive Missiles and Anti-Armour Missiles, maybe...
Bomb: Nuclear bomb - Eh. Maybe.

PostPosted: Tue 15 May, 2012 2:51 am 
Gyro

I'm having the same issue as a previous poster... there is a problem with the reactor... how do I even open the files to look for errors in them as that was one person's suggestion?

PostPosted: Tue 15 May, 2012 3:02 am 
Hound

Couple ways. Simplest is to open it with a text file like Notepad, or Wordpad. The better method is to use a Visual C# environment or other program that shows highlighting, as well as makes the comments stand out.

The file you are looking for is:
"Name of Mod"\Gamescripts\Datablocks\Ships\ReactorDataBlocks.cs

Alternatively, you can post the file here, by using the attachment option below the text box for writting a comment when you choose the option "Post a Reply". I or Arcalane can take a look and see about fixing it.

PostPosted: Tue 15 May, 2012 3:20 am 
Gyro

Okay... by "the file", I assume you mean the reactor file. However, I was getting a similar problem with the other poster as well: when I deleted the reactor file, the game told me that a different file was on the fritz. A .cs extension isn't allowed either... perhaps open then save it in a text file?

Another problem is that it could be Windows doesn't like people tinkering in the program files. Perhaps there's unwanted security messing with the files?

It's just cycling between M_HighCapacityReactor and the other sizes.

EDIT: Yep, it was a security thing apparently. It was fixed. At least, it works now.

PostPosted: Tue 15 May, 2012 9:03 pm 
Boomerang

Oh look, is that a new reactor type I see on the first post?

Still need to test it first, but it's all coded up now.

Also, I feel it only fair to say the plasma shot colour was FinDude's idea. I was skeptical at first, but it turned out better than I expected.

Ed: Finally got a chance to test the Deflectors, too. I was skeptical when I saw the shield points (621 @ Shields 9 on a Huge Deflector) but their high regen and damage absorption really even things out in their favour, and they do very well on small ships too. I'm not sure if they need nerfing or not yet, so once they're out, I'd appreciate feedback on the balance.

PostPosted: Tue 15 May, 2012 11:40 pm 
Dart

I've been playing through this mod + the shipyard and so far it's been too easy. The extra hangars seem to let you breeze through on normal difficulty. The new stuff is pretty cool, but I feel like I'm not having as much fun as I could be all the time the challenge isn't there?

I would comment on more of your new stuff, but I'm just breaching the core & so far I've only got my hands on the missiles, which saddens me. Although the missiles are fantastic.

When you update the mod could you release with & without the shipyard mod included? When you add new tech can I play on the same save or do I need to restart? Because restarting the whole game every time you add a new item would suuuuuck.

PostPosted: Wed 16 May, 2012 12:06 am 
Boomerang

Nothing's forcing you to use the Citadel and Vespa, and you can edit the hangar allowances yourself in the globalConstants.cs -- or simply not use those slots. Or play at a higher difficulty level next time. ;)

You don't need to restart when new items are added or existing items moved around, no - it's only if the tech system itself (max multipliers, etc.) is modified that a restart is required. Since I don't touch that stuff you should be fine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next