MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Fri 17 Nov, 2017 6:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: More Hangars
PostPosted: Mon 14 Oct, 2013 12:28 am 
Hound

Hex editting should be fine. Most people don't know how to do it and won't bother with it. Translating bytes into machine code, and then back into bytes is no small task. Even worse when you don't know what you are looking for. Trying to reverse engineer a game with Hex Editting would be TEDIOUS.

Also, someone hacked the save files to increase hangar total amount BEFORE modding was made available, and the devs didn't seem too concerned over it.

PostPosted: Mon 14 Oct, 2013 2:22 am 
Shortbus

Fair enough.

You are correct, Reverse engineering a game is a bit tedious, but not necessarily difficult if you're observant. For example, I noticed that no matter what resolution I was using, the Hangar selection buttons were always 56 pixels in height. Width is a bit more difficult, because of the button's partial transparency. The image used in the mod files is 96x48, which makes two reasons that we know the game script is specifying the size of the button directly.

A file search for a partial name of the image used pointed to one of two files. After viewing the compiled contents, I decided Hangars.cs.dso was probably the likely candidate, and started poking around in it from there. That being said, I suggest if you are going to mod this file, just make a copy of it and stick it in the appropriate "more hangars" mod folder, rather than editing your game file itself. It seems to read the compiled file just fine.

You're really looking for the number 56 in Hex equivalent. It just so happens that one of the first matching numbers happened to be it (Address 2203 I think, but you know what you're looking for.), so it only took me a few hours to complete the whole process. Torque also seems to arrange it's compiled scripts fairly linearly, and doesn't blow up from altered checksums (or like file protections), so if someone wanted to get more of the size and pixel counts, more addresses could be found to resize the buttons more aesthetically. This is assuming that all of the image sizes are specified directly by the game script. I probably wont do it myself though, I just wanted my ABC's to work.

I'm one of THOSE people who will spend hours setting up ropes and pulleys just to make being lazy easier. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu 27 Nov, 2014 2:07 pm 
Scout

Any fix to the ABC issue for us who play at max resolution?

PostPosted: Thu 27 Nov, 2014 6:53 pm 
Tug

It's Hardcoded so i kinda doubt it.
Good news: SPAZ 2 scales with resolution.

PostPosted: Mon 01 Dec, 2014 5:35 pm 
Scout

Sooo... Theres no way to add a hotkey to cycle thru A-B-C or move the entire part of the UI to somewhere else?