MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Fri 22 Sep, 2017 9:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Insanity Mod
PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov, 2012 1:07 am 
Gyro

Palandus wrote:
Aye, so I'll do some tweaking to shields, and the like so that they are powerful, but not overtly so. And doesn't take you the better part of 2 minutes to take out a starcruisers shields.

Well there are 2 ways to do it, either A) you reduce how much the shields have for capacity, or B) you reduce the damage resistance percent. For easier to balance A is probally the better of the 2 I'd think. maybe cut shields capacity in half for a initial test? I mean i'd expect it to take a bit to drop a huge ships shield but 2-3 mins of pounding on it is a tad much. Give a player that same shield, and I bet it'd never get dropped at all. I also wonder if u changed how much data enemies drop, last version of the mod I played 5.4 ish or so, even ships like 20 levels below me were dropping 50 and 100 data pickups, in vanallia you'd be lucky to see 1 data pickup's. I prefered it that way tbh you shouldn't get much of any reward data wise for killing inferior ships.

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov, 2012 3:54 am 
Hound

Scyris99 wrote:
Palandus wrote:
Aye, so I'll do some tweaking to shields, and the like so that they are powerful, but not overtly so. And doesn't take you the better part of 2 minutes to take out a starcruisers shields.

Well there are 2 ways to do it, either A) you reduce how much the shields have for capacity, or B) you reduce the damage resistance percent. For easier to balance A is probally the better of the 2 I'd think. maybe cut shields capacity in half for a initial test? I mean i'd expect it to take a bit to drop a huge ships shield but 2-3 mins of pounding on it is a tad much. Give a player that same shield, and I bet it'd never get dropped at all. I also wonder if u changed how much data enemies drop, last version of the mod I played 5.4 ish or so, even ships like 20 levels below me were dropping 50 and 100 data pickups, in vanallia you'd be lucky to see 1 data pickup's. I prefered it that way tbh you shouldn't get much of any reward data wise for killing inferior ships.

I was thinking that I'd increase the shields smaller ships had, and reduced shield damage resistance, at max tech level. Shield Capacity is a bit finicky as it is dependent on several factors: First is that the initial shield is based on how much hull HP the ship has. Second is what shield they have equipped. And finally, what is the shield tech. Also star level seems to have an effect on shield strength, though I do not understand what the formula is there for it. Oh, your shields will get dropped fairly often, even at max shield tech. Enemies use different weapon types more effectively than the player does. And yes, Data drop rates were increased, mostly because now low level ships can actually put up a fight.

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov, 2012 6:08 am 
Gyro

Is it possible to do a nearly full missle build with your mod? or will shields be too much of a issue? Maybe make a Ionic missle that does 0 to hull and armor but just owns the hell out of shields.

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov, 2012 5:26 pm 
Hound

Ever faced a BH Pelican? That thing shits missiles. Also, the Hunter SRM does deal Ion Damage.
Plus..... with my changes, you can now use missiles in shooter slots and vice versa... so you could say fly a volley now using 6 shooter slots instead of 6 missile slots. Or, use a Colt with 5 torpedo launchers (thats a fun combo)

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov, 2012 5:33 pm 
Tug

Palandus wrote:
Ever faced a BH Pelican? That thing shits missiles. Also, the Hunter SRM does deal Ion Damage.
Plus..... with my changes, you can now use missiles in shooter slots and vice versa... so you could say fly a volley now using 6 shooter slots instead of 6 missile slots. Or, use a Colt with 5 torpedo launchers (thats a fun combo)

That makes the volley into a corvette/whatever bigger ship with some smaller guns is, and the colt into a missile boat/(bomber/fighter with 5 missile launchers instead of 5 forwad facing fast firing/big damage slow firing guns.

PostPosted: Fri 23 Nov, 2012 11:56 am 
Gyro

Doing thsi also lets you get past the ai's stupidness with missle use. Put a cannon on it with the oongest range u can get, then itll sit and launch missles from the cannons max range, its the only way to really make missle boats work with the ai, if you watch BH pelicans they are setup that way, they have 1 gun mount so that it always uses missles from that weapons max range, though I really think the makers of spaz could have coded the AI better, its fairly exploitable.

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec, 2012 3:13 am 
Shortbus

Hello!

I wanted ti try a new playthrough of SPAZ and your mod really caught my eye.
I was just wondering though, I started a game on Expert and wondered if you pumped up the difficulty a lot to adjust for the number of ships you have? Is an Insane playthrough doable? Recommended? Is an expert playthrough considered too easy with this mod?
Just wondering before I really get sucked into a game ! =D

Mod looks awesome though!

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec, 2012 5:59 pm 
Gyro

CoqPwner wrote:
Hello!

I wanted ti try a new playthrough of SPAZ and your mod really caught my eye.
I was just wondering though, I started a game on Expert and wondered if you pumped up the difficulty a lot to adjust for the number of ships you have? Is an Insane playthrough doable? Recommended? Is an expert playthrough considered too easy with this mod?
Just wondering before I really get sucked into a game ! =D

Mod looks awesome though!

Well on Godlike you will own face till you come across large/huge enemy ships, then it gets really hard really fast lol. Still is a great mod, its alot diffrent than the vanallia game I say give it a shot on godlike, if it is too hard you can just lower the diffculty while in game, but remember you won't be able to put it back up without a new game. Godlike is not that bad cuz of the increased mining rates he has, doesn't take an hour to refill your rez after you get owned.

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec, 2012 6:41 pm 
Hound

I agree, that the difficulty scales up quickly when you hit Huge ships. I'm working on balancing that out... cuz as it stands those Huge ships dominate they battlefied... yes I think they should be able to do that, but when it takes several large, medium and small ships 2 minutes of solid firing on it to kill its shields, and then another 1min to destroy it... that means the Huge ships are a bit too overpowered.

I have been working on it (the mod), but with Final Exams next week, and the last two weeks been hellish with end of term assignments (last week I had 10 assignments due) I proly wont have an update until I get a nice cooloff period (after my first final proly which is on Wednesday). Tentatively I'll get an update out on Thursday as my first final is the final I'm the most worried about (Microeconomic Theory)

Some features that I'm working on:
-> Blorfy exposed some code for me to allow more reinforcement ships to come to a base, and it works.
-> Working on changing shield damage strength, armor damage strength, and cloak damage strength (this is the percentage of damage they take at max tech, which is current 0.25; which means that they only take 25% of any damage sent at them). However, to alleviate it, I'll look into increasing overall protection in the damage modifiers.
-> Some weapons I'm finding just plain suck at the moment whereas others are uber-powerful. Tweaking will occur.
-> Having a MotherRock in your safe spot allows you to mine to your content (provided you have a huge mining beam) rather than trying to befriend that T3 mining base. Haven't decided if I'll keep it or just set it back to having a chance to spawn instead of guaranteed to spawn. Maybe I'll switch out one of the beams on the Mothership (Chapter 2 only; By chapter 3 you should have a large/huge hull that has a huge weapon slot), so that it auto-mines the rock.

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec, 2012 7:37 pm 
Gyro

ANyway you could make a low exp edition of your mod? like where everything is changed except how much data ships/stations drop? Well maybe don't change space stations cuz they are a major bitch to kill later on in your mod, but change the exp from ships. I find doing a mission and gaining 8-10 levels in it in a system thats already way below me a tad much. heh Just a personal preference thats all. ABout the motherock if you were to have it be a chance to spawn players could just go in or out at will. I kinda think that the mothership would be smart enough to warp in near a decent source of rez. But, then again this would make Mining bases pointless.

Also good luck on your Exams and such, Was wondering where you been lately Palandus.

On a Side note, I hope when they release spaz 2 they release a full mod kit nearly right away insted of waiting so long. Maybe a month or so after release.

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec, 2012 7:50 pm 
Shortbus

Cool, I'll try it on insane and see how it goes then! I won't have much time to play either, with the exams coming indeed =P

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec, 2012 8:24 pm 
Tug

Scyris99 wrote:
ANyway you could make a low exp edition of your mod? like where everything is changed except how much data ships/stations drop? Well maybe don't change space stations cuz they are a major bitch to kill later on in your mod, but change the exp from ships. I find doing a mission and gaining 8-10 levels in it in a system thats already way below me a tad much. heh Just a personal preference thats all. ABout the motherock if you were to have it be a chance to spawn players could just go in or out at will. I kinda think that the mothership would be smart enough to warp in near a decent source of rez. But, then again this would make Mining bases pointless.

Also good luck on your Exams and such, Was wondering where you been lately Palandus.

On a Side note, I hope when they release spaz 2 they release a full mod kit nearly right away insted of waiting so long. Maybe a month or so after release.

Well, true they can just warp out and in if it's by chance, but not in CH-4, where it costs you(zombies attack) to waste system jumps.
Also, it is smart to warp out the mothership near a rez rock, but what if the Mining station is your enemy/the system doesn't have large rep deposites/the UTA guards the Rez deposits/the Mining/Civ base doesn't take kindly to people mining from its own 'roid.

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2012 4:57 am 
Shortbus

Small bug report, the novax Torpedo appears to just explodes right away as soon as it is launched.
I've just tested it on both the Mule and the Yacht and it does the same thing, explodes as soon as I launch it, even if there is not a single enemy in sight. Surplus torpedoes work fine and other missiles as well.

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2012 1:08 pm 
Dart

CoqPwner, are you using the latest version from page 19? The download from the first page isn't up to date, last I checked.
I had that problem with the main page download, but it is fixed and working fine with the latest 5.6 download on page 19.

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2012 6:03 pm 
Hound

It may be that the torpedo is still acting up, even with the most recent build. I'll take a look into it for the next release.

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2012 7:29 pm 
Shortbus

I was using the download from the first page indeed, I'll try with the newer version later.
Why not update the front page version though? is it possible? Are you still testing it? New users won't go through the entire Topic to find the newest version.

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec, 2012 9:50 pm 
Gyro

Palandus wrote:
It may be that the torpedo is still acting up, even with the most recent build. I'll take a look into it for the next release.

Are those the torpedo's that move so slow that even the slowest ship in game can easly out run them? I think they need to be made faster because the only reason they hit my AI ships is because the ai is as dumb as a rock, I never get hit by torpedos due to how slow they are.

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec, 2012 11:05 pm 
Tug

They are slow, BUT powerful, it will be very unbalanced if they were both fast and powerful.
Besides, stations can't possible evade torpedoes no matter how slow the torpedoes are.

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2012 12:22 am 
Colt

DestinyAtlantis wrote:
They are slow, BUT powerful, it will be very unbalanced if they were both fast and powerful.
Besides, stations can't possible evade torpedoes no matter how slow the torpedoes are.

Scyris99 wrote:
Are those the torpedo's that move so slow that even the slowest ship in game can easly out run them? I think they need to be made faster because the only reason they hit my AI ships is because the ai is as dumb as a rock, I never get hit by torpedos due to how slow they are.

Like Destiny said, I dunno, I dont think being slow means they are that ineffective......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLlUgilKqms

Image - " Particle Cannon, Particle Cannon. Doing the things a Particle Cannon... " -

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2012 4:13 am 
Hound

Early in mod development I made them so that they were fast and maneuverable... and people complained so I changed it so that they are high damage but slow.

If you hit one with your shields down it hurts like hell. If you hit a swarm of 10 of em, you take a lot of damage.

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2012 9:51 am 
Dart

I find them well enough off, though pretty much unusable outside of base sieges, unless paired with gravity missiles...
Gravity missiles...
Gravity missiles...

So I'm all around fine with them, as, like you said, fast and powerful = no good.

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2012 7:25 pm 
Hound

I could slightly tweak their speed, but only slightly as you recall that with missile research missile speed is greatly increased. Also, haven't released the next patch as I'm busy studying for my Monday final, with is at 9am. I should then have enough time to release a finished copy of the next patch on monday after my final.

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2012 9:09 pm 
Tug

How about increasing the max tech level of some techs to a lot higher, and the higher levels to be only mastery-like(like in some RPG games, where mastery increases damage/decreases cooldown/increases attack speed/etc., but doesn't give anything new), so they wouldn't get from weak to powerful in 10 levels.

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2012 10:43 pm 
Hound

Ive been thinking about something along those lines but I dont know how to make it so that a tech only starts giving bonuses at a certain tech level ie have something give even more damage but only starts at LV 6 and above.

PostPosted: Sun 09 Dec, 2012 2:13 am 
Volley

creating a function perhaps.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next