MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Fri 22 Sep, 2017 9:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post subject: Re: Insanity Mod
PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2012 11:46 am 
Scout

CoqPwner wrote:
I was using the download from the first page indeed, I'll try with the newer version later.
Why not update the front page version though? is it possible? Are you still testing it? New users won't go through the entire Topic to find the newest version.

Bumping this.
This is important.

You released your mod so you surely want to have others play it and maybe give feedback, right?
Well now step back for a second and get in the position of the new user.
Like, think you have no idea about anything, but you want to try mods for SPAZ the first time.

Now go and see your first page with this mindset. The first post is usually the first thing a new user sees when he browses mods.

What happens is that new users usually take whats on the front page, because no one has the time to go through 20 pages of random crap. And in this case, not only the description is lame and uninspiring, but also the download is outdated severely.

You'll have people get frustrated and bug you with old problems because of this. Not only that, but some will completely ignore your mod, no matter how fun it is, because you fucked up the front page presentation.

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2012 8:00 pm 
Tug

Palandus wrote:
Hi all, this is my Insanity mod. I plan on eventually making this mod a conversion mod for SPAZ. It'll look at changing a lot if not all of the variables that makes SPAZ work. It will most likely cause CPU performance hits, but this should be expected. Major changes that I am interested in doing for this mod is:
1) Allowing more ships to be on the combat field at any one time.
2) Allowing more and more frequent reinforcements for Ambient Events and starbases being attacked by the other faction, and reinforcements to defend the base.
3) Allowing more explosions, brighter, longer, and more vibrant. Looking at increasing debris created and the dying time of starships.

My latest post will have the most recent version of the game.

Incremental Updates or Balance Tweaks will use the format V#.#1 or #.#2 etc...
New Changes or Major Changes will use the format V#.10 or #.20 etc...

Also, badly need help in making weapons/ships. I understand the coding side of things mostly, but the making the actual artwork, I am completely lost at. Which, unfortunately the How To guides glaze over. Which is fine as I didn't know the procedure on how to get all the coding in.

The mod has been renamed and a version attached to the mod for easier viewing, and so that you can be sure if the mod version listed here is the up to date version.

Added a newfile called TotalChanges which will eventually catalogue all the final changes and compare them to the default values for avid modders.
~ Palandus

You are probably right that he needs to update the OP post, but he did say that his latest post will have the most recent version.

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2012 7:38 am 
Colt

DestinyAtlantis wrote:
Palandus wrote:
Hi all, this is my Insanity mod. I plan on eventually making this mod a conversion mod for SPAZ. It'll look at changing a lot if not all of the variables that makes SPAZ work. It will most likely cause CPU performance hits, but this should be expected. Major changes that I am interested in doing for this mod is:
1) Allowing more ships to be on the combat field at any one time.
2) Allowing more and more frequent reinforcements for Ambient Events and starbases being attacked by the other faction, and reinforcements to defend the base.
3) Allowing more explosions, brighter, longer, and more vibrant. Looking at increasing debris created and the dying time of starships.

My latest post will have the most recent version of the game.

Incremental Updates or Balance Tweaks will use the format V#.#1 or #.#2 etc...
New Changes or Major Changes will use the format V#.10 or #.20 etc...

Also, badly need help in making weapons/ships. I understand the coding side of things mostly, but the making the actual artwork, I am completely lost at. Which, unfortunately the How To guides glaze over. Which is fine as I didn't know the procedure on how to get all the coding in.

The mod has been renamed and a version attached to the mod for easier viewing, and so that you can be sure if the mod version listed here is the up to date version.

Added a newfile called TotalChanges which will eventually catalogue all the final changes and compare them to the default values for avid modders.
~ Palandus

You are probably right that he needs to update the OP post, but he did say that his latest post will have the most recent version.

He also says "latest post" and says nothing detailed about the meaning. Latest post in this thread? Latest post on the forums as a whole? Latest, as in "at the time of this message" ? Its very ambiguous labeling :P .

Just felt like adding to the nitpicking <3 .

But regardless, its just proper etiquette to keep your OP in the most updated and meaningful manner possible. Like React said, it helps introduce your new players to your mod in a more meaningful manner, and a less stressful one for all. But thats up to the mod maker either way, theres no laws or rules that say how to market a product. To each their own.

Image - " Particle Cannon, Particle Cannon. Doing the things a Particle Cannon... " -

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2012 8:06 am 
Hound

When I release the update (which is delayed as I wanted to study harder for my Thursday exam >.<) I'll update the first post with the most recent build and change the description.

And yes, last post is ambigious as my last post can have the version OR it may just be a forum reply.

EDIT: Main post updated. Most recent build (5.6) is listed there. Currently working on 5.7

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2012 12:35 pm 
Tug

Technically, he doesn't need much of a description for the mod. It's INSANITY mod, meaning it is sort of the same, but it's insane, like Insane TD in WC3, it's like normal TD, but if you are afk even for a minute and you may lose, at least in the beggining.

PostPosted: Thu 13 Dec, 2012 5:02 pm 
Shortbus

Hello Palandus, I started playing your mod for a couple of days already, I started with 4.60, which worked perfectly and made my game much more interesting.

Everything worked perfectly. Yesterday I saw update 5.60, so I downloaded it because it had some nice changes I wanted to see.
Again, everything worked perfectly. Up until I reached Act4 (Gather a Fleet). I could not travel anymore, all the galaxies were grayed out and one was yellow, which I sadly couldn't teleport to either.
I could only teleport to the Black Hole, but there Admiral Jamison tells me I don't have a fleet big enough.
When I change back to 4.60 or go back to vanilla, I see the other galaxies again and I can teleport again.

V5.60:

V4.60 or Vanilla:

Now here in V4.60, The yellow galaxy is there too, but this time I can teleport to it and continue with the game.

So I am stuck if I wish to keep on using V5.60, the only way for me to continue is by using V4.60 or using Vanilla.
Could you please fix this issue, since it isn't really a minor issue :P

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu 13 Dec, 2012 5:57 pm 
Hound

Interesting. Before I release 5.7, I'll see if I can actually make it through Chapter 4, and see if I can narrow down the issue. Its probably due to me changing the star levels of Zombie stars to make Chapter 4 consistently harder than Chapter 3.

PostPosted: Thu 13 Dec, 2012 5:59 pm 
Tug

It seems to be a problem with the connection between the Black Hole system and the level 70 where the hidden gate was(in CH-3), because it looks as if you can teleport to it, but there is no jump-gate, while the others look like the separated outer galaxy to me, so it must be a simple bug with the connection, whatever method SPAZ uses to define jump-gate connections.

Edit: I meant the highest level non-Black hole/Center of the galaxy system, which in vanilla spaz is always level 70, sorry.

Last edited by DestinyAtlantis on Thu 13 Dec, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu 13 Dec, 2012 8:52 pm 
Hound

Is it showing as LV70 in V5.6? I thought I changed it so that it was like 160 or something

PostPosted: Thu 28 Mar, 2013 2:10 pm 
Shortbus

I do hope you're still developing this mod. This mod added different difficulties for different challenges. You actually needed to use different kinds of weapons and outfit your ships accordingly, not with just the highest tiered items.

PostPosted: Thu 28 Mar, 2013 6:34 pm 
Hound

I have taken a break from development, but I think I'm ready to get back on the horse again and continue with it.

PostPosted: Wed 10 Apr, 2013 6:00 pm 
Dart

Hello,
Just wondering if the mod is fully playable from begin till end in the current version? As stated above, there were some issues with chapter 4?
Goodluck with the project if you do keep going. There's a few potentially superb mods for SPAZ, and this is one of them.

PostPosted: Sat 20 Apr, 2013 8:29 am 
Shortbus

Could you possibly reduce enemy shield regen a little bit? With all laser ships except one it takes a good 5-10 minutes to crack through the fast regen shields then another 20 second to melt the hull.

PostPosted: Sat 11 May, 2013 12:41 am 
Shortbus

This looks promising. I'll give it a try. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon 04 Nov, 2013 11:09 pm 
Shortbus

Hi everyone that remains playing SPAZ :]

I'm very proud of this MOD, congratulations Palandus

But I miss something, variety of ships. So.. is it possible to integrate the mod like "19 ships from GBS" without lot of work?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue 05 Nov, 2013 7:56 am 
Tug

I think it should be possible, because only FFU has reached the datablocks limit, and GBS' ships mod only adds player ships.

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov, 2013 7:37 am 
Hound

Oh probably ya. Though, first I need to get up the energy to fix the errors with some of the late game stuff I think. Then it'd be a simple matter of merging me thinks.

EDIT:

For those who care, even after so much time, I'm currently at work at creating V5.70. I'm playtesting it while I go, trying to find obvious areas that need tuning (I've already changed the maximum damage multiplier for Armor, Shields, Cloaks and Hulls to more reasonable numbers so that it doesn't take next to forever to kill a Station or Huge ship) AND bugs that need to be fixed.

If I recall there was something about a torpedo bug (that I'll attempt to find) and something about the endgame problems. I'll try and do a full playthrough and make changes to it.

Cheers!

EDIT2:

I think I narrowed down the Chapter 4 systems bug and removed it. I'll check if it is gone.

Was the torpedo bug where the torpedo exploded but did no damage?

EDIT3:

V5.70 is coming along nicely. Made some changes to ensure that people use beams, cannons and missiles. Beams consume little energy and destroy shields. Projectiles consume a lot of energy, but destroy armor. Missiles can be shot down en-route and destroy hull.

Going to do some more testing and should have it out soon.

PostPosted: Tue 12 Nov, 2013 1:54 am 
Hound

(Yes I know double post but...)

Hey all!

Gotten back into the swing of things. V5.70 for Insanity 8 Extended is released. Will be working on Insanity 6 Extended and will release it a little later.

Lots of changes in it, check the first post for download link.

NOTES:
I believe I fixed the torpedo issue. If I haven't then I'll look again.
I believe I fixed the chapter 4 issues. If I haven't then I'll look again.
Motherships are no longer invulnerable and if you aren't careful during a ship invasion, they can be destroyed.
Stations are far more defensible now and take a lot of effort to destroy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21