MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Sun 24 Sep, 2017 12:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hey Devs, I am curious about something!
PostPosted: Sun 04 Aug, 2013 9:17 pm 
Shortbus

As this is my first post here on the SPAZ forums, I would like to start off by saying that SPAZ is one of the most fun games I have played in ages. I grew up on many top-down space shooters, and this is a real throwback to the golden-age of free-roam arcade space shoot-em ups, with that great customizability twist. But onto my question for the devs…

Before the main menu, you guys say that you created SPAZ because there were no games like it anymore. So, what games are you guys referring to?

My favorite games of a similar style are:

• The Escape Velocity trilogy, Ares, and SketchFighter 2000 by Ambrosia Software <- This is my biggest fave, go get it if anyone hasn't tried it
• Asteroids (duh)
• Unprovoked, an old mac title, not sure if it was for PC.
• Steel Fighters, was either a clone or an original, but it had destructible environments and lots of weapons
• Many more I cant recall the name of…

Thanks, and I am super excited for the release of SPAZ 2 using the Unity engine!
-Micro

Post subject: Re: Hey Devs, I am curious about something!
PostPosted: Sun 04 Aug, 2013 9:46 pm 
Tug

Idk about those games, but if i remember correctly, they were referring to Starscape-like games.

Post subject: Re: Hey Devs, I am curious about something!
PostPosted: Mon 05 Aug, 2013 10:33 pm 
Shortbus

Ah I see, I checked it out, and yeah it has many similarities. Doesn't look as fun though as SPAZ =P

But yeah, if you haven't checked out the Escape Velocity series, go check it out. its really fun, has similar gameplay but is more story based. Highly recommended.

Ares, if you can run it still, is a tactical RTS where you control ships and passively generated resources to combat the enemy. Its actually got a bit of a learning curve but the controls for ship movement are the same as any top-down shooter. Also, highly recommended.