MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Fri 24 Nov, 2017 3:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Last Jungle In Sector 17 [Looking for gameplay feedback]
PostPosted: Sun 04 Aug, 2013 3:11 pm 
Shortbus

Me and my friend are developing a small sci-fi game and I was suggested to post about it here by some users.

Last Jungle In Sector 17 is a new take on the traditional top-down view space shooter with added RTS elements, some of the games it relates to are SPAZ, Star Control and classic Asteroids.

The game is developed for the Flash platform and can be played easily in the browser, the playthrough of the prototype should take about half an hour (add period before com): ljis17 com/prototype/

Post subject: Re: Last Jungle In Sector 17 [Looking for gameplay feedback]
PostPosted: Sun 04 Aug, 2013 6:41 pm 
Hound

An interesting concept for sure. Tried it out.

Some feedback:

-> Found the combat a bit too easy, in that the enemy ships do not try to "lead" with their shots. By "leading" I mean that the ships do not try to shoot where you plan on being rather they shoot where you currently are and thus miss as you manuever in a different direction.
-> Found a few minor spelling mistakes. The biggest one is "pray" should be "prey" when its first introducing the Carrier.
-> The loading screen for the game sometimes made my IE flicker and freeze briefly. It stated at the top "Internet Not Responding". Is this normal?
-> Only difficulty I encountered was trying to attack the two missile boats from very afar. Do they come closer or do I have to go to them? If I do have to go to them, how do I find the Station again (as there isn't a minimap or a directional indictator pointing to where the Station is)
-> The Station's health meter didn't go down... didn't appear to be getting hit either.
-> A popup message stated to get repairs for your ship, hover over the station. Where over the station? I noticed I had static repairing while flying around, does hovering over the station increase the repair rate?
-> It may be nice that hovering over the station also increases your reload speed or shield regeneration speed.
-> Zooming out is a bit problematic with Mouse Wheel, as the mouse wheel will usually end up scrolling up or down the entire webpage making it difficult to center the screen. Its also too sensitive in that you touch it just slightly and it goes FULL Zoom or No Zoom. I'd like a mixture of Zoom / No-Zoom; the mid-ground.

PostPosted: Sun 04 Aug, 2013 7:32 pm 
Tug

Did i just play an updated version???
I had no problem seeing the direction of the station(and even the distance), it is easy to take care of the missile boats(2 missiles on 1 of them, the third missile on the other one, and laser it to death), once the defensive stage began, it became easy(long range high accuracy normal/high fire rate for long range sniping and shorter range thougher for close-range(actually i think the dual-barreled plasma is meant as a barrier???(it does 40x2 damage, while the long range sniper does 100 damage)).
It took some practice to get the accuracy correct, but that is understandable.
Idk what the allied ships that i bought did, but spending the money on sniping turrets is better worth it(i could even say that they are op, when combined with double-barreled plasma cannons), because when there are a lot of turrets, the enemy ships shoot at all the turrets. Oh, feedback: focus fire of multiple ships on one target.
I don't have a problem with the scroll whatsoever(at least i think i don't, i think there are 4-5 different zooms, but i may be wrong).
Also when full-screen, you don't have to worry about the annoying sometimes-bug of scrolling the whole page.

PostPosted: Mon 05 Aug, 2013 10:19 pm 
Shortbus

Palandus wrote:
An interesting concept for sure. Tried it out.

Some feedback:

-> Found the combat a bit too easy, in that the enemy ships do not try to "lead" with their shots. By "leading" I mean that the ships do not try to shoot where you plan on being rather they shoot where you currently are and thus miss as you manuever in a different direction.
-> Found a few minor spelling mistakes. The biggest one is "pray" should be "prey" when its first introducing the Carrier.
-> The loading screen for the game sometimes made my IE flicker and freeze briefly. It stated at the top "Internet Not Responding". Is this normal?
-> Only difficulty I encountered was trying to attack the two missile boats from very afar. Do they come closer or do I have to go to them? If I do have to go to them, how do I find the Station again (as there isn't a minimap or a directional indictator pointing to where the Station is)
-> The Station's health meter didn't go down... didn't appear to be getting hit either.
-> A popup message stated to get repairs for your ship, hover over the station. Where over the station? I noticed I had static repairing while flying around, does hovering over the station increase the repair rate?
-> It may be nice that hovering over the station also increases your reload speed or shield regeneration speed.
-> Zooming out is a bit problematic with Mouse Wheel, as the mouse wheel will usually end up scrolling up or down the entire webpage making it difficult to center the screen. Its also too sensitive in that you touch it just slightly and it goes FULL Zoom or No Zoom. I'd like a mixture of Zoom / No-Zoom; the mid-ground.

Thank you for this in-depth feedback.
Found the combat a bit too easy, in that the enemy ships do not try to "lead" with their shots.,
We actually have the leading developed but we haven't implemented it yet, we will in the final version though (that is if we reach the funding goal on our Kickstarter campaign, unfortunately it isn't going that great right now)

IE flicker and freeze briefly
What OS are you using? This should not happen.

how do I find the Station again
There is a directional arrow which points where the station is, it even shows the distance, check from this picture (add period): i.imgur com/T19VZm8.png

The Station's health meter didn't go down... didn't appear to be getting hit either.
, answers it self :)

A popup message stated to get repairs for your ship, hover over the station. Where over the station?
There are shields and HP, when you hover anywhere over the station it repairs HP, shields get regenerated automatically.

It may be nice that hovering over the station also increases your reload speed or shield regeneration speed.
Isn't the game too easy already :D ?

Zooming out is a bit problematic with Mouse Wheel
Hmm, we'll look into it, shouldn't happen.

DestinyAtlantis wrote:
Did i just play an updated version???
I had no problem seeing the direction of the station(and even the distance), it is easy to take care of the missile boats(2 missiles on 1 of them, the third missile on the other one, and laser it to death), once the defensive stage began, it became easy(long range high accuracy normal/high fire rate for long range sniping and shorter range thougher for close-range(actually i think the dual-barreled plasma is meant as a barrier???(it does 40x2 damage, while the long range sniper does 100 damage)).
It took some practice to get the accuracy correct, but that is understandable.
Idk what the allied ships that i bought did, but spending the money on sniping turrets is better worth it(i could even say that they are op, when combined with double-barreled plasma cannons), because when there are a lot of turrets, the enemy ships shoot at all the turrets. Oh, feedback: focus fire of multiple ships on one target.
I don't have a problem with the scroll whatsoever(at least i think i don't, i think there are 4-5 different zooms, but i may be wrong).
Also when full-screen, you don't have to worry about the annoying sometimes-bug of scrolling the whole page.

Thank you for your feedback, I'll nerf the long-range turret a little.

All in all if you think this project has a chance and you would like to have a say in it check out and share our Kickstarter, we will deliver for fans should we get funded (add periods): www kickstarter com/projects/1396394944/last-jungle-in-sector-17

PostPosted: Thu 15 Aug, 2013 11:52 pm 
Shortbus

Due to popular demand we are now featuring controls relative to the screen. So check them out and let us know which you like best (add period): ljis17 com/prototype/

PostPosted: Tue 20 Aug, 2013 12:56 pm 
Shortbus

Today we launched a contest titled "Write your name into video game history". Basically we are giving one lucky person a chance to write an entire new campaign for our game, check it out here (insert period): ljis17 com/contest/