MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Sun 24 Sep, 2017 4:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space games
PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2011 7:32 pm 
Shortbus

Ascendancy and after that MoO2 are my Favs in that genre. I-War was also great and Freespace ... wow!

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2011 10:31 am 
Shortbus

I've recently gotten into Armada 2526 and Black Prophecy (still waiting for launch or beta invite). Armada is really nice due to it's similarity to MoO and Gal Civ both of which I was a fan of. Black Prophecy, from what I've seen of it, reminds me a lot of Freelancer and X4 (tho only played it a bit), it's also a free mmo which is something a lot of my friends wished they'd have done with Freelancer. I'm a huge fan of space and futuristic sci-fi games games, my favorite game in the genre tho has to be EVE I've been playing it off and on since shortly after it came out.

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2011 11:41 am 
Volley

I love 4X games but I suck so bad at them, it's like a curse.

My favorite space game was probably Freelancer. Flying around in one ship and being that lone wolf mercenary is just fantastic. Not too many games capture the simple joy that FL provided. If the Evochron games didn't crash all the time I think they could come close...

Other than SPAZ I've been keeping an eye on Starfarer, though its development seems to be moving along quite slowly. I'm playing a bit of Naev right now and it's alright. The "reverse thrust to stop" had turned me off to even trying it but I gave in and tried it out and it didn't take much getting used to at all.

Sigh.. so many space sims, so very few that are memorable.

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2011 1:15 pm 
Grasshopper

growing up i only used mac's so my games where c&c EV sim city and warcraft. EV Nova being my fav game of all time if only it had multi player some how. freelancer is a close 2nd.

my only worry with spaz is it having 5 ships you can fly at once not saying this is good or bad its just different from my all time fav games. My plan is to play spaz with the 5 ships but probably focus more on 1 ship then anyothers like EV nova with the other 4 ships being like the ecsorts from ev nova but then i might really like changing ships who knows :) hmm now that i type all that i have an idea from my 2nd play through of only using 1 ship :) or the other 4 only being low cost fighters that i dont mind them dieing. damn i made myself want the game even more (worry is probably the wrong word more like my hope is at 99 and my worry is at 01 so small it doesnt matter but it is there)

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2011 7:54 am 
Hatchet

FDru wrote:

Other than SPAZ I've been keeping an eye on Starfarer, though its development seems to be moving along quite slowly.

Huh, Starfarer looks quite interesting. I'm definetly keeping eye on that. Thanks for the tip FDru.

PostPosted: Wed 04 May, 2011 4:32 pm 
Clockwork Personnel

Starfarer looks very similar, infact I could swear I'm just looking at a twin of SPAZ, just a bit less polished.

Bug Submission
Known Bugs (Needs updating)
more as they appear...

PostPosted: Wed 04 May, 2011 6:48 pm 
Gyro

Colin wrote:
Starfarer looks very similar, infact I could swear I'm just looking at a twin of SPAZ, just a bit less polished.

Same

PostPosted: Wed 04 May, 2011 7:48 pm 
Volley

I agree they look very similar, although Starfarer seems to be in a much more "serious" setting. And if you look up Gratuitous Space Battles you'll notice that both Starfarer and SPAZ look just like that, and it came out a long time ago.

Both these games popped up on Space Sim Central and that's where I heard of SPAZ to begin with actually. It's a discussion board dedicated to space games, and it covers hundreds of them so you might want to check it out if that's something you're interested in.

Last edited by FDru on Wed 04 May, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed 04 May, 2011 9:23 pm 
Grasshopper

ty for the starfarer post i just preordered
although the alpha owned me only beat 2 missions but it was good enough to see a small part of the game :)

PostPosted: Wed 04 May, 2011 9:32 pm 
Grasshopper

Yeah i bought that (Starfarer), waiting for Monday release :3. Only 7 euros, not bad.

EDIT: Actually graphics are quite good (expecially particle effects) and it's a bit lighter then SPAZ (it runs somewhat on my netbook). Not much better then Spaz Alpha, but different nonetheless.

I love the momento of the indie videogaming movement in the last few years, some many compelling games and great ideas in the hands of few prodigious programmers. Money to the righteus!

PostPosted: Thu 05 May, 2011 4:14 am 
Clockwork Personnel

Uomoz87 wrote:
Yeah i bought that (Starfarer), waiting for Monday release :3. Only 7 euros, not bad.

EDIT: Actually graphics are quite good (expecially particle effects) and it's a bit lighter then SPAZ (it runs somewhat on my netbook). Not much better then Spaz Alpha, but different nonetheless.

I love the momento of the indie videogaming movement in the last few years, some many compelling games and great ideas in the hands of few prodigious programmers. Money to the righteus!

Thank the recession, unstable economies and unfairing game corporates that have a monopoly which has blinded them from talent. From this we get unemployed, dissatisfied talented people who are capable of making instant classics, somewhat like we've witnessed with this game, they go out and do their thing.

The phrase "Indie Developer" sure has changed from bedroom coding on a rehash of pacman thats not worth a dollar to a memorizing display of genre defining video games done at the pace of those who can, not at the pace of those who can't.

Bug Submission
Known Bugs (Needs updating)
more as they appear...

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2011 9:37 am 
Shortbus

While, yes, I heard of this game via TotalBiscuit's Youtube channel, I was intrigued by how familiar the game looked. After a few seconds, it hit me: Escape Velocity. I've been playing that game on and off for well over 10 years, and to this day is still one of my all-time favorite games. To see a new game coming out with the same basic idea (build ships, make money, do missions, etc.) had me extremely excited. I played the demo for about an hour, and headed over to Impulse and bought the Beta.

I'll play this some more when I have the time (need to get up for work in 3 hours!), but from what i've seen so far, this looks to be a blast. Talk to you guys later!

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2011 10:28 am 
Dart

Colin wrote:
DISCUSS!

Though seriously, I want to know what other people think about this type of genre. Is it your favourite? Do you have a favourite in this genre? Whats your opinion on it as whole?

But most importantly, I want to know what brought Spaz to your attention? Im not looking for "I saw it on Cynical Brit", more over something like this: " The ship customization and faction system."

Go go go!

Best genre around, and looking to see a small resurgence by the looks of things. :) Space games have been around since gaming on primitive computers decades ago (Spacewar! anyone) and will continue to be around even though the heyday of the genre has passed, and the mainstream-ness of the genre died with Freespace 2 over a decade ago. It'll always be around, and it'll always be a fairly popular niche.

As for favorites...it's hard to say because there are so many different types of games, from top down games to flight sims to shooters and so on. My all-time favorite would have to be Freespace 2, followed by Tie Fighter, followed by Starflight, with many, many runner ups.

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2011 6:49 pm 
Shortbus

There are a couple of genres being represented here, so let me break it down a little:

1st person space flight sim:
  1. TIE Fighter DOS CD - The first game I played in this genre where I felt like I was part of a larger battle, with wheeling capital ships, wings of competent wingmen, and really well-written scenarios, both within a mission and across the missions in the campaign. Also, subsystem damage!
  2. Freespace - The only real modern competitor in the campaign-oriented space sim genre since Totally Games stopped making them.

Fleet-oriented RTS:
  1. Sins of a Solar Empire
  2. Conquest: Frontier Wars - A largely forgotten game that offered some interesting ideas around fleet supply of fuel and ammunition, and strong AI-controlled fleet mechanics.
  3. Ares - Another sadly forgotten game, with rate-based production, continuous zoom, and a really interesting command-and-control system for directing your fleet in a simple but powerful way without using a mouse.

Turn-based 4X:
  1. Master of Orion 2 - The classic benchmark for customizable ships, personable AI, and vast scope from tiny fighters to star-destroying monstrosities.
  2. Sword of the Stars - randomly generated tech tree and a physics-based realtime combat engine heavily influenced by available technology makes for interesting and subtle strategic decisions.

Free-roam RPG:
  1. Escape Velocity - a true Macintosh shareware original. Amazingly modifiable, and one of the first games to capture the feeling of piloting a hulking capital ship bristling with turrets and fighter bays.

Why SPAZ?
Randomly generated galaxy: much as I loved Escape Velocity and its mods, having the same galaxy every game always put a limit on its long-term appeal.
Direct ship control: Except for Ares, I can't remember the last time I had direct control over each of my wingmen in a top-down free-form space combat RPG like this.

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2011 12:16 am 
Shortbus

Tie Fighter was the first one for me as well - such an awesome and fun game :D

Freespace 2 was...epic.

Wing Commander Privateer 2: The Darkening was the first "Elite" style game for me, and it is the reason it got me hooked to this particular genre - well, that and cause I already liked space sims quite a lot.

Freelancer was a major disappointment though. It was substandard in pretty much absolutely everything except for the wonderful environments and a decent simplicity to controls and GUI. Apart from that, the AI was horrible - ship balance was just way whack - weak story, voice acting was hardly impressive, the economy was an utter disaster, turret system was a complete failure - along with all the trade class ships and so on.

SPAZ - it is yet another top down space game that is a must to play. I've also played Escape Velocity and several other top-downs, going all the way back to some really old games for DOS with good old EGA/VGA graphics (if anyone here has ever had the ancient Giga Games CD then they may have an idea of the type of games :p).

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2011 6:53 pm 
Dart

I got into SPAZ because its a space game with fleets (maybe reallly small fleets, but fleets none-the-less). In general I love space games across the board. I've played everything mentioned here and several more (for example, I didn't see Nexus, Hegemonia, Distant Worlds, and Aurora listed), even hopped on and moderally enjoyed MoO3 pre-fixes/mods because I love space games so much. Hell, it should say something that my favorite game at the moment is Aurora, and I'm pretty sure 99% of people wouldn't even call that a game.

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2011 12:11 pm 
Shortbus

Well im waiting till my paypal account is topped up so that I can buy SPAZ.
At first when I saw it on Impulse, It made me think about "Battleships Forever" and "Transcendence" And I was like bleh... Seen that done that But after Playing the demo ... I can say honestly that I was wrong.

My first space game and still favorite was for me "Space Empire IV" I have very fond memories and modded this game to death with my custom build "Earth Defence Force" blasting Planets and Suns... 8-)

Freelancer was also very fun ( where are you freelancer II ??? )

The last couple of years Im playing regulary Distant worlds & the expansion "Return of the Shakturi" and this is realy Empire building on macro level :geek:

And then offcourse the fanmade "The Ur-Quan Masters" (star control ) That was a nice and funny game iff you never tried it and you are bored then maybe you should give this game a chance !!!

So that is my contribution to this thread :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2011 1:11 am 
Shortbus

For me it's sins of a solar empire and Eve. When I was a kid I loved playing star trek on the Apple II. Pretty funny watching the youtube videos of that game. I remember it being so much better lol...

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2011 2:48 pm 
Gyro

The game I've played most is by far space rangers 2: reboot. I was surprised at first by the retro-looking gfx (it's a re-release from 2005 or something) but it's beautifully done and works really well. The game in itself is rather good but what really got me hooked was he mini-games. You could play text challenges, top-down space shooter(!) and RTS robot battles on the ground to achieve campaign objectives or just for the $$ and lols. The amount of content in the game is simply mind-boggling.

The RTS could probably be a stand-alone game and not look ridiculous.

Also the missions were pretty fun (one race is called Maloq and keep giving you software-related missions, isn't that chutzpah ?)

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2011 5:15 am 
Clockwork Personnel

Black Prophecy :D

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2011 4:43 pm 
Hound

Hehe, told you it was good ;)

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2011 10:56 pm 
Dart

Anyone ever play Star Sonata? That was a pretty slick top-down space game. That is an MMO game that sports a vast economy and taking control of galaxies. The level cap in that game is incredible....in fact I don't think there is even one.

Alas as awesome as it was, I quit playing it due to how much time it sucked away from my life :(

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun, 2011 12:21 am 
Volley

I am trying out Black Prophecy now. The combat is pretty fun but the crafting system is retarded. I guess you can't leave the crafting screen when modifying an item, and my first project was a 25 minute wait of just sitting there looking at the screen. I canceled it and logged out after 15 minutes. Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth.

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun, 2011 4:58 am 
Grasshopper

Guardiangi wrote:
Does x3 have "turret view" for large ships as in manual targeting of turrets in first/third person?

Yes, you just hit F1 to cycle through all the views. However, most of the turret arcs are too limited to be effective. A fighter that's on top of you will be below you in about two seconds. Mostly, I just let the AI do the turret shooting while I focus on my forward guns.

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun, 2011 8:48 pm 
Clockwork Personnel

Richard wrote:
Hehe, told you it was good ;)

You've lost much productivity from me to it :p

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next