MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Fri 24 Nov, 2017 3:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Carrier Command : Gaea Mission
PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct, 2012 12:36 am 
Scout

Anyone of you guys played it?
It is basically like SPAZ but with a Carrier and some Tanks and VTOLs.
It has some pathfinding issues atm, but other than that it is a true and good remake of the original :).
I think it is worth the money, however the gamehub over on Steam is filled with rage >_> over that stupid pathfinding bug (which can be greatly improved by a mod btw).
Waiting for the patch atm myself, but I don't regret paying the 40€ for it.
How about you guys?

Post subject: Re: Carrier Command : Gaea Mission
PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct, 2012 8:23 am 
Volley

Scorcher24 wrote:
How about you guys?

I remember playing the original '80's version of this game.

So I wish listed it on steam for when the price drops. :)

Official SPAZ mod package (v2.0) Cause people cant find links anymore

PostPosted: Tue 30 Oct, 2012 5:13 pm 
Scout

The first person sections are HORRIBLE, just torture to play. Enemy AI doesnt exist and then theres the pathfinding...

Once you hit about half-way into to the game it just starts sucking. ALL the missions are just the same, snipe off enemies with a player flown VTOL and then "hack" some buildings. There are NO defence missions, the islands under attack arent actually under any attack, AI units just loiter there doing nothing and the enemy-carrier just runs off as player comes to the island...

Untill they actually add something to do in the game its a discrace! DO NOT BUY.

Instead go find the true heir of the 80s classic "Hostile Waters: Anteus Rising" - While old, its friggin brilliant.

CC:GM does have HUGE potential but the devs havent really seen to use any of it.

PostPosted: Tue 30 Oct, 2012 5:33 pm 
Scout

Quote:
Enemy AI doesnt exist

That is simply not true. The enemy AI tries to hunker behind buildings, Mantas take cover behind hills etc.
Looks like you played it for 5 minutes or so.
The only issue the game has is the pathfinding and for that a patch is in the making. So I don't understand all that pointless hate the game gets.

Quote:
ALL the missions are just the same, snipe off enemies with a player flown VTOL and then "hack" some buildings

That is simply not true, there are different missions to take over an island. True, they are limited, but you can only have so much variety in a game.

Quote:
Untill they actually add something to do in the game its a discrace! DO NOT BUY.

There is a lot to do, you just failed to see.

PostPosted: Wed 31 Oct, 2012 5:14 pm 
Scout

I actually forgive the pathfinding. Its "ok" when theres only one wallrus. Basicly "all you need is one" as well... Well that, and a one Manta.

I must admit i havent played it for a while now so maybe they did add something in AI-wise but i did play untill the enemy-carrier is set loose. Till then all the AI was able to do was to fly the same stupid pre-set paths and if you indeed snipe em off with a laser you can do it without the AI even noticing you.
If you do engage the AI up close, they really dont "hide" behind hills, they just go up and down on a pre-set pattern to "look like it" but they basicly face you, shoot you, and go up and down. Sometimes they even fail at that and just crash into something or try to shoot you while humping a tree and killing themself in their own cannon-dmg.
The AI, if it can even be called that simply sucks, in all aspects.

The missions start to repeat themselfs VERY fast. With the exeption of some vomit enducing FPS-parts to break the chain and some plain retarded cut-scenes to pretend theres a plot.
It is indeed a remake of a classic but for god sake, did they have to bring back the "look for a button to open doors" -gameplay!? All you do in the FPS parts is run in an identical tunnel, push a button somewhere(and magicly spawning new moronic enemies in the same spots you killed them allready), then run another tunnel to push another button to get a lame cut-scene.
Did i mention i can shoot down Mantas with grenedes and kill half a dozen wallrusses as a foot-soldier... And the plot says they we are the "underdogs" :D

The island-missions are just repeating the same over and over. As in hack few "firewalls" by driving a truck there and then hack the HQ. Few exeptions are "jammers" that you must destroy to reach further into to the island.
Also your 100 years into to future super-tanks may lack "mud-tires" and magicly theres also poop-gas or whatever in the same island so your state-of-the-art VTOLs also suck... Like in WTF!? Artifically limiting progress with these retarded ways, who ever came up with that must be proud.

And like i mentioned. THERE IS NO DEFENCE BATTLES:
Enemy carrier goes to your island, Island starts to blink in your map if you go there, nothing is happening. You MAY actually spot the enemy carrier even, FLEEING(!!!!) and attack it. Ofc you cant destroy it since your hi-tech carrier doesnt have magic blueprints of a torpedo, that later can actually sink the tub.
If you dont go to aid your AI units in doing nothing against the fearsome onslaught of nothing. You lose the island and will have to blast thru the mindless AI-morons to capture back their so very usefull... Well, no, they are useless.

The resource management is just glued on. The enemy has INFINITE resources, you dont. Your resources will be depleted rather fast unless you safeguard your units carefully. Its quite nice to be honest how everything works etc but its just so pointless.

I must addmit there is a lot eye-candy in this game, the models are nice and "operating a carrier" sounds friggin sweet but consdidoring there are like 3-4 "types" of island-assault missions and the DISCRACEFULL fps-parts, while NOT fighting an actual battle, no i dont see much to play in this game, i really dont.
Please, do tell me what i have missed?