MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Sun 24 Sep, 2017 4:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Evochron Mercenary
PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb, 2012 7:09 pm 
Scout

Ohai btw, I came over from Steam, just fyi :p.
Feel free to add me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/scorcher24

Topic:
Since it is the same genre as SPAZ, did anyone try it yet?
I tried the demo lately and I must say, the game is cool but also highly confusing and bombards you with partially useless information.
I also find it hard to navigate in that game.
All those things remind me what awesome Job MinMax did with hiding those Infos in a really nice and yet informative interface.

But, I will most likely get it when it goes down a bit in price, the price tag of 23€ is a bit steep imho.
What are your thoughts?
Would also like to know if Blorfy and Richard played it :p.

Post subject: Re: Evochron Mercenary
PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2012 2:46 am 
Volley

I think I'd love the game if it didn't crash constantly when trying to land on planets, and often in stations when buying items. These parts of the game are obviously very important, and from what I have read the only possible cause would be lack of memory which is silly when I can run something like X3 without issues on XP with 2 gigs of ram.

So, sadly I can't support the game and have no interest in trying the newer one he just released (Evoch Alliance?) since I assume it'll have the same problems.

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2012 3:25 am 
Scout

FDru wrote:
I think I'd love the game if it didn't crash constantly when trying to land on planets, and often in stations when buying items. These parts of the game are obviously very important, and from what I have read the only possible cause would be lack of memory which is silly when I can run something like X3 without issues on XP with 2 gigs of ram.

So, sadly I can't support the game and have no interest in trying the newer one he just released (Evoch Alliance?) since I assume it'll have the same problems.

Odds are the SPAZ devs have been too busy working on their own game to play that one.

What issues have you been having getting Evo to run (besides the ones you mentioned?) I had some trouble running it and managed to get it running. I'd love to be able to help, it's actually a pretty fun game.

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2012 8:17 am 
Volley

zidders wrote:
What issues have you been having getting Evo to run (besides the ones you mentioned?) I had some trouble running it and managed to get it running. I'd love to be able to help, it's actually a pretty fun game.

Just the crashes. It's almost guaranteed to crash when landing on planets (usually when getting close to the surface) but occasionally in stations too when navigating the menus or buying things. I did read all the threads on the official forum, none of the suggested fixes for crashing worked.

My computer is fine tuned for gaming, with only processes that are absolutely necessary running, and doesn't have problems with most modern games so I assume when something is crashing it's something seriously wrong with the code or it has outlandish memory requirements (which seemed to be the case with Evochron).

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2012 2:53 pm 
Scout

It is not Large Adress Aware. That's the problem I think.

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2012 3:05 pm 
Scout

Yeah, I used http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showt ... p?t=112556 but it'll only work if you have a 64 bit system, unfortunately. Evo IS a bit of a beast. You're probably right about it being optimization, too. Shame, it's a great game.

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2012 6:57 pm 
Hound

Ya, I tried the demo. It's got some really cool stuff and I'm sure some folks just eat that stuff up. It's a tad simmy for my tastes though. I should go back and finish Freelancer one of these days.

PostPosted: Thu 10 May, 2012 12:14 am 
Ranger

i love it. tho i find it too hard to make money to upgrade my hull enough to fet to higher level systems to stand a chance in combat =/