MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Fri 24 Nov, 2017 3:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Custom Shoot 'em Up (Feedback requested)
PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2012 2:49 pm 
Scout

I'm considering beginning work on a Shoot 'em Up in Flash and eventually in C++. I'm sure this beginning is going to sound a lot more like the usual "I WANT TO MAKE GAME LOL" but in truth (unlike the majority of posts like this) I have the capabilities and knowledge to do such on my own. What I'm wanting to discuss though is what things people enjoy seeing in Shoot 'em Ups that make them enjoy them more. "Harbinger", which is the working title, was originally coded in Visual Basic (which of course, hit hilarious limitations) eventually I ported most of my code over to Flash and have a very basic shmup engine I can work with now.

I'm in the design and artwork phase so figured now is the best time to get together my generalized feature list, and where better to get this information than on a forum for a space combat game.

Features I'm wanting to include:
-Persistence, I feel this is vital to a long lasting shmup, you need new things you can obtain and upgrades between levels, skill trees or item slots
-A galaxy map, simply playing levels 1-10 isn't near as fun as actually jumping between worlds, playing levels between them, and accomplishing missions
-Unlockable Characters/Ships, such things drive people to play the game to its fullest and even really difficult unlocks cause extended playtime for a lot of people
-Customization and tweaking, the ability to modify your ship's weaponry and tools really helps the player get immersed and attached to their ship
-"Retro" sprite look (I'm wanting it to be rough around the edges, heavy outlines, etc.)

Inspirations:
-Sky Shark (NES) (One of my first Shmups as a child and easily still one of my favorites)
-Tyrion/Gradius/etc.
-Various Arcade Shmups (some of my fondest childhood memories were of playing them in arcades with my family and friends)
-Various Flash Shmups (I've played a ton of them that were great, but only had some features and not others, in general they feel half-done, but have such potential)
-Bullet hell games (I'm not making this a bullet hell game, but they've been a great inspiration to how difficulty should play in)

Post subject: Re: Custom Shoot 'em Up (Feedback requested)
PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2012 3:12 pm 
Hound

I like non-bullet hell shmups myself. One of my alltime favorites is Raptor Call of the Shadows by Mountain King Studios (formerly Cygnus Studios). I especially liked the purchasing option in Raptor, but it did get dull once you did beat all the episodes (1-10 levels).

Any further news on this project of yours?

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2012 7:54 pm 
Scout

Palandus wrote:
I like non-bullet hell shmups myself. One of my alltime favorites is Raptor Call of the Shadows by Mountain King Studios (formerly Cygnus Studios). I especially liked the purchasing option in Raptor, but it did get dull once you did beat all the episodes (1-10 levels).

Gotten kinda tied up in Java, I made a Minecraft mod and its up to 50,000 downloads now, so I've been doing mostly development on it. However I'm learning enough Java through it to consider Java for the platform of this game eventually.

PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep, 2012 8:50 pm 
Dart

Grazing?

PostPosted: Thu 22 Aug, 2013 9:49 am 
Dart

I'd buy it.

PostPosted: Thu 22 Aug, 2013 12:57 pm 
Gyro

Shadowclaimer wrote:
Palandus wrote:

Gotten kinda tied up in Java, I made a Minecraft mod and its up to 50,000 downloads now, so I've been doing mostly development on it. However I'm learning enough Java through it to consider Java for the platform of this game eventually.

Mind sharing the name of the mod? Maybe I've heard about it.