MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Sun 24 Sep, 2017 4:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ideas about SPAZ 2
PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2011 12:33 pm 
Shortbus

Tbh, this is more of a new game line than the sequel, but a lot of the concepts and game play are based on SPAZ.

More Races: Currently there are 2 races in SPAZ, humans and zombies. Why not add a few more, each with their on tech specialities? Want to be good at stealth? get on good terms with the cat race. Want to get the best armour? best be nice to the living rocks. Each race can have their on style of ship and relations to the other races (obviously the cat and dog race will be fighting a lot ;-)

More racial factions: Humans currently have Civilians and Military (UTA), I'd suggest splitting the Civs into Corps (Corporations who want more travel access and social infrastructure) and Carts (mafia style cartels who want all the power for themselves and don't care for the UTA or Corps). Apply the same idea for each race

Each system can then have a mix of races and factions and the interactions between them. Sure, some systems may have odd inter-faction relationships (ie the system where the cats and dogs love each other and both want to exterminate the rat race). But it gives a little bit more variety.

Allow systems to eradicate a race/faction: The Civs seem to hate the UTA, so in a system where the Civs are strength 3 and you just blew up the UTA minor space station, why not have the UTA leave that system entirely? Also with more factions you can mix things up more. In one system the UTA and Corps like each other (as long as neither dominate) and want the Carts to leave. In another the Carts and Corps are trying to gang up on the UTA.

I'm not sure if this happens, but change system strengths over time. That system you left with the UTA at war with the Carts, while you maybe friendly with the UTA, they were at strength 1 and the Carts (who you hated) were strength 3. Guess what happens while you are away ;-) Give players a reason to reinforce systems or go back to help defend older ones.

As for storyline, who knows. While a similar storyline may work it needs changes. Maybe all the races know about the big bad secret, maybe just the military sections of each race, or maybe you just happen to open a whole can or worms as you unlock the mega-ancient space gate of doom ;-)

Post subject: Re: Ideas about SPAZ 2
PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2011 4:11 pm 
Hound

Thanks for the suggestions. We do plan to make SPAZ 2, but it's a couple years off ;)

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2012 3:58 am 
Scout

hope you'll add some zerg-like races.....not like zombies of course......

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2012 7:25 am 
Hound

Necroposter!

Anywho, Zombies are more like zerg than you think. Most zombies from other games do not regenerate.

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2012 11:30 am 
Shortbus

I haven’t actually played the FULL game yet, but I tried out the demo. It’s pretty fun and reminds me of Space Rangers 2 (albeit, less unique and in realtime). As you mentioned though, it seemed to have the tendency to become repetitive (given the huge galaxy)

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2012 3:37 pm 
Dart

I'm posting most of my suggestions in a steam thread I opened personally (prefer the forums over there, I have too many games I play to go to each dev's forum and .. well you get the idea).

I'll add another new suggestion to this thread though I guess :P

How about systems, instead of all having individual relations .. you could have a collection of systems that share the same relations? Neighbouring obviously, have it so there are several systems all linked to one "major system". Introduce a system of "major" and "minor" systems. The majors could be trading hubs... great mines or just support life better than the minor systems. You could also try and introduce more randomness to the game by trying to do something similar to Borderlands with regards to your blueprints... ala... giving them several different versions of the same blueprint. One of the things that makes you keep playing Borderlands is the random loot generator, people love loot. Loot is what makes some games addictive... and this game is addictive thanks to the loot for me I would probably say... so having it so you can get varying ship designs (eg switching up fittings and mounts) or module bonuses (yes, numbers instead of bars pl0x) with perhaps elemental effect modifications could make the game more diverse. You could always have it so there was a choice to have the game without these mods though ^^

Having several modifiers to change the way the game plays would be pretty sweet too in fact.

Just ... rambling about what comes through in my head. I'm more of a brain stormer than a refiner when it comes to ideas.

For my let's playing commentary gaming series things that are moderately awesome... and moderately offensive, depending upon your perspectives on naughty words ^^

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2012 6:47 pm 
Ranger

Well, its not a bad idea that u have Joppsta, something like interstellar empires would definitly give more variation, hell u could even add some unique ship designs to some empires!
And it should work when using a random system generator and in multiplayer :)

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan, 2012 1:03 am 
Grasshopper

I have to agree that I like the idea of a SPAZ 2 to include multiple races, corporations, factions, etc.
I would buy that game too. Keep up the good work guys.