MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Sun 24 Sep, 2017 4:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Devving a Space Browser Game
PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep, 2011 4:11 am 
Scout

So I am working in php/mysql to develop a space browser game of a relatively unique design.
In contrast to OGame and other such games, there will be both a resource system and a credit system. Also you will be able to make as many colonies as you want, with a slight restriction. After a certain number of colonies you will start receiving an income penalty based on a percent of total income. So, say you make 50 colonies, you will then get a penalty based on the number of colonies beyond that number, something like this:
(X-50)x(1+x-50/100)=corruption
x is the total number of colonies.
the progression would be like this
1.01 1.04 1.09 1.16 1.25 1.36 1.49 1.64 1.81 2.00 2.21 2.43 2.68 2.95 3.24 etc.
And you could make a special building to cut that down to a more manageable cost.

Colonies have stats
happiness
health
crime
wealth
income
population
density
landmass
education
you can build about 7 buildings to manage certain stats and more to produce resources, like food, which provides income and others that are used for buildings ships and so forth.

there will be a few thousand systems and so forth.

research is non-linear. there will be a few science styles. one involves running projects with formulas and trying to get the best formula to get a given blueprint. another involves having scientists with personal stats that you add on a project. you choose the result and how good it is is based on their stats. all prints will be unique results.

ship design involves creating designs from various blueprints. there are maybe a score of hull types which hold different guns. they can also hold armor and/or shields. i may add more customization, i am not sure. ship types do things like detect approaching fleets, explore systems and planets, destroy probes, have capships with gunbatteries to kill small fighters and so forth.

enough with the features though, what would you guys like to see in a space browser game? any particular things you always wished would be included? i always up for interesting ideas. a lot of the game function is in flux currently.

Post subject: Re: Devving a Space Browser Game
PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep, 2011 8:41 am 
Grasshopper

Well, I don't currently have any ideas, but I was curious as to whether you currently feel like you are going to add such things as biological hulls (an old favorite of mine) and the like? How will combat go?

PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep, 2011 5:24 pm 
Scout

necavi wrote:
Well, I don't currently have any ideas, but I was curious as to whether you currently feel like you are going to add such things as biological hulls (an old favorite of mine) and the like? How will combat go?

well the game is text based, so i'm not sure how i would add biohulls. as i said, the game is similar to ogame in its text based ness. and therefore combat is probably not going to be visual. after all, visual combat for hundreds of thousands of ships would be somewhat impossible to implement. my computer is barely able to play spaz now.

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep, 2011 12:18 am 
Grasshopper

Nothing wrong with text based! (I am unfamiliar with ogame, I'm afraid) Also, the way to add biohulls (if you are so inclined) is simply to have different properties attached to them, not entirely sure how that would be an issue in a text-based game.

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep, 2011 7:36 pm 
Scout

necavi wrote:
Nothing wrong with text based! (I am unfamiliar with ogame, I'm afraid) Also, the way to add biohulls (if you are so inclined) is simply to have different properties attached to them, not entirely sure how that would be an issue in a text-based game.

well i'm not sure what different properties would add anything in text games. what special properties would they have?

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep, 2011 8:07 pm 
Shortbus

I really don't go for text-based BROWSER games. They are all exactly alike, and yours sounds pretty generic also. No offense, some people like that.

I don't see your game having anything special over any other games, and that's your problem :P

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep, 2011 10:26 pm 
Scout

Gravy wrote:
I really don't go for text-based BROWSER games. They are all exactly alike, and yours sounds pretty generic also. No offense, some people like that.

I don't see your game having anything special over any other games, and that's your problem :P

if you think its generic, i don't know what kind of games you have been playing. i'm not offended. i just can't think of more than one game with a similar model. maybe i didn't explain too well. the colony, exploration, research, and resource systems are entirely different from travian/ogame/the1000000millionogameclonesontheweb. most games proceed along linear research paths which don't interact much with each other. their buildings grow linearly as well. they also typically have very limited colonization systems, as well as a very limited combat system fleet/army comp wise. as i said, i've found only one game similar to this one, and its mostly defunct due to the designer spending more time on the more profitable webcam part of his business, so i can't imagine that you are referring to that when you say the game is generic.

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2011 7:42 am 
Scout

So this is actually off the ground now. I had to use a webhost instead of my own apache server because i was unable to attach my server to the net.
The game is currently in alpha testing, with a few of my friends from other games.
Closed beta is coming in november. I guess technically the game will always be in closed beta, the webhost limits my cron jobs so i can run scripts with too many people.
Registration is currently broken but i may just make a single special account with limited permissions for people to mess around with.

PostPosted: Thu 13 Oct, 2011 8:20 pm 
Hound

Take a look at an older game called Outpost 2: Divided Destiny by Sierra in the mid-90s. It did something similiar to what I think you are trying to do...

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2011 4:35 am 
Hound

I wouldn't mind giving it try when you are allowing for an open beta. I enjoy colony-based games w/ non-linear research trees that make each race/people distinct. Graphics for me are not an issue, provided you explain what I'm doing when I make a decision.

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2011 5:35 am 
Scout

Well, open beta should be in like, late november? I got the universe map working so all I really need are travel and battle logic. Travel will be easy, battle maybe, maybe not.

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2011 7:27 am 
Hound

I'd say first make sure that the colony aspects and resource aspects work first, then worry about combat.

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2011 9:20 pm 
Scout

Palandus wrote:
I'd say first make sure that the colony aspects and resource aspects work first, then worry about combat.

Aside from having to set up star travel and exploration so that you colonize different planets, I am done with the colony and research systems. I do still have to set up the part of research that creates the run times. Currently projects finish instantly. I have all the resources set up, I have integrated the planet stats into that, and also the landmass growth and population growth is set up for colonies. The universe and all the galaxies systems and planets have been generated for the current round also.

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2011 12:09 am 
Hound

Now is this space game similiar to other space games in that initially buildings are built quickly but eventually, it takes several hours to several days to complete a single task where you can only have one task active at any one time.

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2011 12:47 am 
Scout

Palandus wrote:
Now is this space game similiar to other space games in that initially buildings are built quickly but eventually, it takes several hours to several days to complete a single task where you can only have one task active at any one time.

It is in no way similar to that. What buildings you can build are based on what building blueprints you can have access to and there is a theoretically infinite number of buildings of every type that can be researched. Buildings have no build time, merely cash and resource costs, and there is a limitation of total buildings per colony based on size. You can build any number of any building, excepting the observatory, because you only need 1 of those. Buildings have 2 stats aside from the building requirements, workers and efficiency and the output of the building is based on multiplying those numbers, excepting research facilities where efficiency adds to the total quality of research projects and workers limits the number of workers you can put on science projects. At 50-250 colonies, managing colonies takes approximately 15-30 minutes a day. Unlike non browser 4x games like civ, there is not really an exponential increase in time taken as you advance through the game. Most time goes into either resource management, research, exploring, or fighting. Usually each empire will have one or two guys who do all the exploration, which is good because its a huge time sink. I did choose to have exploration done by systems rather than planets, in order to save time.

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2011 3:36 am 
Hound

Interesting... I'm intrigued.

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2012 3:56 pm 
Dart

Let me say the keyword for victory:
Freedom!

Make the game able to receive people's customization. It's very atractive the free colony build idea.
If im able to design my colony the way I wish, like defensive, maybe offensive, tech developing center or whatever the hell I want count me in ;)
Just another tip: Make a "Hero" system. May be a pilot, a main ship (mothership), the Manager of the community and so on. Basically his stats and powers affects directly the game itself.

Good work!

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2012 10:37 pm 
Hound

Being as I havent heard anything from this guy in over 2 months I don't even think he is doing it anymore.

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2012 3:34 am 
Dart

thats not good. such projects are hard to go on, can say by myself.

PostPosted: Fri 03 Feb, 2012 9:53 pm 
Hound

how who started? Richard and Blorfy or the maker of this post?