MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Mon 20 Nov, 2017 1:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Escape Velocity: Original/Overdrive/Nova
PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2011 1:33 pm 
Shortbus

Anyone play these games on the Mac? Or PC when Nova was ported over? These were the best free roaming space games ever.

Post subject: Re: Escape Velocity: Original/Overdrive/Nova
PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2011 2:01 pm 
Turtle head

I played Nova on PC. It was fun for a while. I have to say the combat ultimately didn't feel satisfying enough, though; much preferring SPAZ. :)

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2011 2:09 pm 
Scout

YES! Definitely the best top-down space game I've ever played. I love SPAZ, but only because EV taught me how.

Some of the Nova questlines were outstanding. . and the mods!

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2011 7:44 pm 
Volley

The combat in Nova is horrible. I could never kill anything unless vastly overpowering it. Aside from that, it was an alright game, I just couldn't be bothered with the struggle to learn how to do basic things like... shooting stuff. So I traded Opals til I had some of the best ships in the game, then got bored.

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2011 8:18 pm 
Hatchet

DeathDealer wrote:
YES! Definitely the best top-down space game I've ever played. I love SPAZ, but only because EV taught me how.

Some of the Nova questlines were outstanding. . and the mods!

I adored EV:Nova, but it's really hilarious how almost all the missions are just decently written courier missions. I was a space trucker extraordinaire.

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2011 8:28 pm 
Scout

True. The missions themselves weren't too exciting. It was always the possibilities. I remember one game where I got freakishly lucky and captured one of the largest freighters in the game while still using my first ship. My crew of 1 overpowered them and suddenly I went from a couple hundred credits to owner of a 2 million credit ship full of cargo :D

I didn't have too much trouble with combat. It wasn't as exciting as SPAZ until you were significantly into it I seem to recall. But once you had a sweet ship I loved conquering planets and demanding tributes. One of the storylines had you becoming so transcendantly in touch with the universe that you dematerialized, becoming one of the forebearers of human evolution, lol.

I think the side missions are a big step towards what really made EV tick. I hope that soon we can have ship capturing and hireable mercenaries as well. Raiding crippled and derelict stuff was tons of fun too. Maybe a sprinkling of untagged missions that appeared when traveling to empty planets could surprise someone who was used to always knowing what they were getting into.

PostPosted: Mon 22 Aug, 2011 8:04 am 
Shortbus

This is a long post; there's a summary at the bottom. I played all the EV games extensively, and was mainly interested in SPAZ because of it's seeming resemblance to EV. having played the demo through tonight, I've found some major differences:

in EV, you can outrun and dodge missiles. In SPAZ, I have had hardly any luck doing that even with the ability to strafe. most of the survivability of fighters in EV was in outrunning missiles and staying out of range of turrets and energy weapons. it may not be realistic that missiles in EV travelled the same speed whether fired from a stationary or moving ship; however even if it were made more realistic, you would still have a big speed advantage vs. missiles from slow ships. SPAZ seems to be unrealistic in that cargo effects your speed, when it should only effect your acceleration and deceleration in various directions.

in EV, non-energy weapons had ammo counts. In SPAZ, they are limitless. This means that you cannot exhaust your enemy's ammo supply, and you don't need to put much thought into your use of guided weapons, you can just hold down the fire button for the duration of the battle (maybe not with torpedos since they'd require more aiming, but still much simpler than using torpedos in EV.)

in EV, fast ships were much faster, and as a result, battles took place over much wider expanses. in SPAZ, ships are generally pretty slow by comparison, reaching their top speed in one second (and decelerating somewhat as soon as you stop thrusting?) Aside from just evading fire, you could also use speed in EV to maneuver for bombing and strafing runs, line up an attack on a slow-moving freighter's flank, or on the weak flank of an enemy formation; you could use it to take a break from the battle, to reorganize your fleet, and you could use it to draw the enemy out of their formation so you could engage them separately. In SPAZ you can probably still do these things to some extent, but to a lesser extent than in EV. The gulf between fast and slow ships is smaller, so there's less time for tactics and maneuvers because everyone is closer together.

in a related point, the maneuvering in EV was simpler, graceful, and was much easier to master, which gave you more time to check the information bars and make better use of your sensors. SPAZ uses a kind of strafing + mouse cursor control of direction that I've never seen in any top-down game ever, and it seems to require a lot more effort to learn maneuvering as a result, unless you purely use forward and backward. Combine this with the lower speeds and closer battles and the combat is all a lot twitchier and more actiony, not much time to use sensors.

in EV, you had to work a lot harder to afford new equipment and new ships, because they tended to be more expensive. in SPAZ the entire upgrading process is extremely streamlined. the time, availability, and cost are all much different than in EV, in such a way that challenge is severely reduced. Similarly, replacing ships when yours are destroyed is also extremely easy.

in EV you acquired new ships by buying them or disabling/capturing them, both of which required a lot of effort and made sense in the game setting, in SPAZ you acquire them purely by destroying ones like them; they cost some money, sure, but on normal difficulty it's extremely easy to make money. The only similarity here is that your political standing effects what equipment and ships you have access to, but even that is extremely reduced because...

in EV governments spanned large swaths of space and multiple star systems, and apparently in SPAZ every single star system is autonomous, and even when you do earn a criminal record, it takes maybe an hour of play to undo it so that you can access a port and buy schematics. Once you have the schematics you won't really need anything uniquely from that port again, whereas in EV there were a lot of items which could only be bought in certain places.

in EV you traded realistic commodities through trade routes spanning an 'astropolitical' (as opposed to geopolitical) landscape of outposts, colonies, tourist traps, industrial and agricultural worlds, military chokepoints, backwaters, barren wastes, and pirate hideouts. In SPAZ, everyone trades mainly crew, data, and a miraculous material which can be found floating everywhere you go and can be used to fabricate anything you need, and so far the only factions I've seen are civilian and the UTA, all in a state of galactic anarchy.

--

of course, the EV series of games spanned what, a decade of development and modification and there were a lot more people working on it with a lot more funds going into it. I have also played any one of the EV games much more than I've played SPAZ, so who knows how relevant my points are to the later part of this game. But, I think it's safe to say EV and SPAZ are very different, both in how they execute the space theme, and in how they handle combat. The focus in SPAZ seems like it will be about customizing ships before and during battles, and giving them orders RTS style in the tactical screen, deciding which ships to target with which one of your ships and what kind of weapons and strategy you'll use. A kind of space shooter/squad/strategy mix. Maybe there will be more tactical maneuvering later on in the game, but I doubt it will ever resemble the gameplay of EV without serious tweaking of the combat at least.

Summary

No dodging missiles
No ammo limits
Ships are slower
Maneuvering controls are complex
Gameplay focused on casual action-strategy with deep ship design and customization
Gameplay not as focused on immersion, realism, or single player tactics.

Last edited by ruaidhric on Mon 22 Aug, 2011 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon 22 Aug, 2011 8:22 am 
Shortbus

FDru wrote:
The combat in Nova is horrible. I could never kill anything unless vastly overpowering it. Aside from that, it was an alright game, I just couldn't be bothered with the struggle to learn how to do basic things like... shooting stuff. So I traded Opals til I had some of the best ships in the game, then got bored.

the combat in Nova was thoroughly nuanced and rewarding, even in the first EV game I often took on enemy cruisers with single modified fighter bombers. but a game is like any other form of art, every individual gets something different out of it.

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2011 10:32 am 
Grasshopper

I played a LOT of override and nova, not much of the original unfortunately...but for that same kind of kick I play Naev, an open source nova-like project (although in many ways it bears more resemblance to the first two games).

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2012 2:21 pm 
Scout

EV was one of my first games as a child, that was almost 17 years ago, I still go back and play Nova from time to time since it's compatible with Windows.

Nova had some amazing designs for ships, its too bad that modding it was such a nightmare due to the fact its base platform was Mac and it used a lot of weird tools for its models.

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2012 5:33 pm 
Shortbus

Hell yes. :) I loved EV Nova (and the others - I played them all as they came out.)