MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Sun 24 Sep, 2017 4:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: GSB: Gratuitous Space Battles
PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar, 2011 8:47 am 
Grasshopper

Spotted this game advertised in a banner ad over at Penny-Arcade: http://positech.co.uk/gratuitousspacebattles/

It has a similar look to SPAZ, but from watching their demo reel it seems this game has gone off in a fairly different direction. Battles are presented as scenarios, and it seems you deploy a customised fleet before the battle begins, and then watch your AI controlled ships duke it out with the enemy's AI controlled ships.

I haven't tried the game or formed any real opinions on it yet, but I figured you guys might want to see for yourselves.

Post subject: Re: GSB: Gratuitous Space Battles
PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar, 2011 9:10 am 
Volley

It's pretty fun for awhile. Gets repetitive really quickly though.

I lost interest after unlocking all of the stuff.. no more upgrades? Just more fights with no real goal? Ehhhh... if there was a higher degree of interaction these things wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue, but I can only handle so much "sit and watch" when it comes to games.

PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar, 2011 9:55 am 
Clockwork Personnel

im with FDru here, its fun for a while but no real long term value

but the price is pretty low...so dont let this stop you from getting it

Please read the Forum guidelines before posting
Anything related to the forum dont hesitate to PM or e-mail me

PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar, 2011 11:05 am 
Clockwork Personnel

I hae this game, I managed to play it past the tutorial for about 5min, and not touched it since.

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar, 2011 6:02 pm 
Dart

Tryed (Tried? dunno how to spell it correctly) this game after looking at screenshots, and discovering it look a lot like SPAZ.

And, well, yeah - it kinda sucks. I like more X3 (and i really hate X3, it's too god damn difficult! Come on! I don't have half of year to learn the basisc!) and this is just... no fun at all.

Still, it looks pretty fun.

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar, 2011 10:00 pm 
Scout

Also bought this game.... played for about 1hr and haven't touched since then.

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar, 2011 10:29 pm 
Hatchet

GSB had lots of potential to be honest. The main problem is that the fights start to get repeatitive quite quick and unlocking stuff doesn't carry that far. Pity really; Some good new features, variations and enhancements would make this a real great game.

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2011 9:46 am 
Shortbus

I have to agree with JHGT, GSB has heaps of potential and I got a real kick out of it, but the quick achievement of unlocks and fairly easy missions that can largely be beaten with primarily fighter spam and one good long range tanked mothership did reduce the playability a bit.

The constant drip drip of DLC from Cliffski got a little weary too for me personally, whilst a few of them made nice additions the novelty did wear off a bit too quickly for me. A fair few people bought the game on release and it would be nice just to have a little something free chucked in from time to time like what used to happen in the old days just to keep us interested.

That said I thought the premise was good and I liked the artwork. One of the first things I noticed about SPAZ was the similarity to it visually (same artist?).

Notch (minecraft fella) has mentioned that he is also toying with the idea of a space game. I have hope that the genre 'could' be starting a revival.

A reboot of Elite 2 with a twist (2D view) would be nice. I toyed with flatspace but could never really get to grips with it. Space Rangers 2 really captured me too but It again lacked the depth that I yearned for. I realise that SPAZ isn't going to be an Elite style game, but I still hold out hope for some hint of epic-ness.

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2011 5:55 am 
Scout

i never much liked it either, and the latest expansion might have caught my interest, with the 4x stuff, but i quickly lost interest when i found out that none of the ai build or do anything your doing, it just throws PLAYER created fleets at you randomly, so you end up just loosing every time ever unless you are really good already.

its basically the exact same thing you already were doing, since the ai doesn't have any actual empire to manage.

PostPosted: Mon 16 May, 2011 2:55 am 
Grasshopper

Its exactly what it says on the box, Gratuitous Space Battles, no muss no fluff just some good old fashioned shoot em up.

Actually when I first saw SPAZ my first thought was a cross between GSB and Sins of a Solar Empire.

PostPosted: Mon 16 May, 2011 8:35 am 
Scout

I bought this when it first came out, not the best decision but it was fun while it lasted. Once you get everything, there's nothing much left to do. Although sometimes I still run it and let the fleets fight each other while I eat food and watch or do my homework or something.

Not too fun, but it provided me with a good background noise maker.

PostPosted: Mon 16 May, 2011 3:57 pm 
Boomerang

IMO GSB would work great as a screensaver, especially if you could design the enemy fleet. The game is also quite moddable, which is nice.

PostPosted: Mon 16 May, 2011 10:04 pm 
Grasshopper

Well yes, GSB is a game concept begging for a campaign mode.

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2011 3:41 am 
Boomerang

It actually does have a campaign mode, in the form of a DLC. As far as I can tell though it's crap, just another way to play against other player's challenges.

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2011 11:49 pm 
Scout

I have GSB and the 4 race expansions plus the campaign mode. I absolutely hate the campaign mode. Its like someone else said, player created fleets so that you have almost no chance. I found that I could do well if I just passed the first 70 turns doing nothing and then started making fleets. If you don't ever attack I think you can farm cash and pilots forever before starting. The fleets you fight come at you without any sort of order based on difficulty. The way I see it, fleet composition is just too complex for the game to analyze and also, since you can specialize so massively, no single kind of fleet can fight off all the different super min maxed fleet types. Fight spam, vette spam, missile spam, super armor, super shields and so forth. Also the economy is boring as all hell, and you can't really control your fleets at all.

PostPosted: Sat 01 Oct, 2011 3:58 pm 
Shortbus

I bought the game when it came out but got bored pretty quickly. There isn't enough of an actual game underpinning the battle engine, it's like he wrote the battle engine then got bored.

When I played SPAZ I looked back on it and though "this is the game GSB want's to be"

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2012 5:30 pm 
Shortbus

I liked GSB! And what is the connection between GSB and SPAZ, anyway? I thought I saw a press piece that said there was a developer in common between the two. Anybody know if that's right? They certainly have a similar look, and some game mechanics in common (in the 'Hangar' area, especially.)

PostPosted: Mon 31 Dec, 2012 1:24 pm 
Shortbus

RedMedicine wrote:
They certainly have a similar look, and some game mechanics in common
While sure some gameplay mechanics are the same in both games IE: the hanger deck ship module customization, it doesn't mean they have similar developers at all, MinMax if I remember correctly is 2 guys who made a game together and created a company. Anyways the point is just because there are similarities doesn't mean they are in anyway connected.

PostPosted: Thu 25 Apr, 2013 1:23 pm 
Shortbus

GSB is one of my favourites. I enjoyed tweaking my fleets for optimum effectiveness/efficiency even after unlocking everything. But it still left me with a burning desire for a proper campaign mode.

Steam reports I've spent 38.8 hours on it.