MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Fri 24 Nov, 2017 3:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sword of the Stars 1 and 2
PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2011 3:59 am 
Scout

I am starting this thread as it seems a lot of people on this forum have no experience with the Sword of the Stars series (Official website)... and think Gal Civ 2 is a true Moo series successor... I beg to differ, as customizing your ships does nothing... And Sots with the complete collection very much plays like an updated Moo 1... Oh, and dare I mention it's made by the same minds behind Homeworld: Cataclysm?? Ahhh... Also curious if any of the devs have played this game... you might get some cool inspiration for SPAZ from it... ;)

Post subject: Re: Sword of the Stars 1 and 2
PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2011 4:04 am 
Volley

I just couldn't get into SotS no matter how much I tried. That is to say, it kept my attention for less time than most 4x games (which isn't generally long to begin with). The research system was interesting but I guess that it was too combat-oriented for me. Is the sequel bringing anything new to the table?

For what it's worth I never played MOO1 and only had a taste of homeworld Cataclysm (just the tutorial, actually), so those comparisons sadly didn't say much.

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2011 4:55 pm 
Scout

Well, I understand you aren't into a 4x style... however, it does have real time combat sort of similar to SPAZ... and researching, and customizable ships... I've read the other thread about space games... and just curious how many of those people have tried Sword of the Stars (complete collection)... as it's a very different game from it's initial 1.0 release. :)

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2011 4:56 pm 
Hound

I played SoS and it was quite good. My personal favorites would have to be Sin of a Solar Empire (another home brew Vancouver game), and Space Empires 5 just because there is SO MUCH STUFF.

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2011 3:08 am 
Scout

Richard wrote:
I played SoS and it was quite good. My personal favorites would have to be Sin of a Solar Empire (another home brew Vancouver game), and Space Empires 5 just because there is SO MUCH STUFF.

Nice. Have you seen some of the amazing footage and videos for SotS 2 that came out of E3 yet??

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2011 5:01 pm 
Hound

Ya, the ships looked prudy.

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2011 4:53 am 
Scout

And Richard (I'm assuming you are one of the DEVs that made SPAZ) has any bit of SPAZ been inspired by the SotS way of doing battle?

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2011 7:02 am 
Dart

Wow, lots of familiar games listed in one thread.

I got Sword of the Stars Complete Collection recently on Steam, but have not had a chance to install it yet. I loved the demo a lot, so had to get the complete collection when I caught it on sale recently. I would have installed it sooner, but games like SPAZ and Minecraft have been sucking up all my free time. It does peak my interest to hear Sword of the Stars plays like an updated Moo1.

I can also agree that games like Gal Civ 2 (Ultimate Edition) are nice due to assorted options, tech and ship design, and I like how movement and battles are handled in Sins of a Solar Empire, and I love the overall versatility, flexibility and modability of Space Empires 5. Also a Moo2 fan (Doom Stars for the win!), and sadly, also have Moo3.

I figured customizing ships was fairly important in Gal Civ 2, especially with the whole 'rock paper scissors' thing going on with weapons and defense.

On a side note, I did not know the people behind Homeworld Cataclysm also did Sword of the Stars. That is very interesting to know.

And last but not least...
"Wait, they are making a SotS 2?!" :o
That is news to me.

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2011 4:59 pm 
Hound

zanzibar196, there might be some inspiration hidden away in there. It's been so long since I played SotS, I can't remember it very much.

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jul, 2011 4:24 pm 
Scout

rditto48801 wrote:
And last but not least...
"Wait, they are making a SotS 2?!" :o
That is news to me.

Yes, and it's looking VERY sexy... check out Angry Joe's reaction to it... ;)

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2011 11:43 pm 
Scout

I was totally unable to get into SotS. I bought like 1000$ of games on impulse, the majority space strategy themed, and I played way more GalCiv2 and SoaSE. Stars was just confusing in a way gal civ wasn't and I like SoaSE better than both. Its sad cause when I read the description and bought it, I was so excited.

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2011 11:46 pm 
Scout

I found Sword of the Stars to be a bit too one sided. One of the main mechanics is if you want to dedicate yourself to raising profit or spending on research, but the mechanic simply doesn't work, if you just dump everything into profits and go on a huge land-grab early on you eventually get to the point where your empire can do stupid ammounts of research in just a few turns. If you dedicate yourself to research early on you'll never get to the point where your few high tech worlds outperform a giant empire of lowtech ones though.

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2011 11:52 pm 
Scout

Aetrion wrote:
I found Sword of the Stars to be a bit too one sided. One of the main mechanics is if you want to dedicate yourself to raising profit or spending on research, but the mechanic simply doesn't work, if you just dump everything into profits and go on a huge land-grab early on you eventually get to the point where your empire can do stupid ammounts of research in just a few turns. If you dedicate yourself to research early on you'll never get to the point where your few high tech worlds outperform a giant empire of lowtech ones though.

I remember in Galciv 2, I would max out all my research before ever starting a fight. I could basically do the research victory, universal consciousness, as the only project left, but then I would design massive ships and start farming them, and then just win. Any move from research spam to fighting earlier is just so much slower and the game doesn't really force you to fight.

PostPosted: Thu 18 Aug, 2011 12:28 am 
Scout

Yea, unfortunately a lot of games of that genere have some kind of bias for one victory strategy over another. I love playing with maximum science, a lot of those games just crap all over you for trying that.

PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec, 2011 6:21 pm 
Shortbus

I am much amused from this game so it is great inspiration for me to play this game and i have played all the previous versions of this game so i am a loyal fan of this game.

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec, 2011 9:14 am 
Shortbus

Well I bought SotS2 a while ago, and was waiting for it to be patched enough so I could play it without worrying about broken elements of the game. While I was returning every few days to the Stream forum for SotS2, I stumbled on SPAZ. Thanks to the positive reviews there, I bought it and haven't looked back since :D

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan, 2012 10:34 pm 
Shortbus

I got SotS Complete Collection when it was $5 on steam and just installed SotS2 and I am starting to like this series. Though Sins of a Solar Empire is my favorite and cant wait for Rebellion.

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2012 5:56 am 
Dart

Aetrion wrote:

Early land grabs (or system grabs in the case of SotS) are actually a double-edged sword, and highly dependant on your race type. Hivers most definitely cannot do so, having the slowest ships at the start, while Tarkans, Humans and maybe the Zuul have a fair chance of doing so. Even then, land grabs are highly situational, and depends on how much your economy can support. Too many colonies, and you'll drown in colony maintenance and never get any research done. Plus, early colonies are utterly defenseless and a few scout ships/VNs/random pirates can easily snipe them if you happened to leave them unguarded. (Always possible. Satelites are an unreliable defense.)

Trade is definitely overpowered though. :P

And no, a huge research lead in a few key area can let you steamroll enemy AIs easily. If you're the first one to have both Dreadnoughts and Armada Command Systems, you can safely start steamrolling your neighbours before they get the same tech. This is assuming you've not fallen too far behind on colonies and income.

PostPosted: Fri 28 Dec, 2012 7:31 am 
Shortbus

AdmiralB wrote:
I got SotS Complete Collection when it was $5 on steam and just installed SotS2 and I am starting to like this series. Though Sins of a Solar Empire is my favorite and cant wait for Rebellion.

Really? can you post some pics of it? I'm really interested to it...:D

PostPosted: Sat 03 May, 2014 8:43 am 
Shortbus

This is my first time for this site what kind of game is that.i think that is space battle that's a cool game.

PostPosted: Sun 04 May, 2014 12:12 pm 
Dart

Richard wrote:

you might like smuggler 5 ;)

ps:thanks for telling me space empire 5 i just buy the game and play it..its fun!