MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Wed 20 Sep, 2017 7:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Spaz and Linux/OSX *update May 27*
PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2011 5:58 pm 
Shortbus

It's still doesn't work for me on Ubuntu 11.04. Every time I launch the game from steam via wine, my screen become completly black and i can't do anything, can't ever shut my computer down normally...

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2011 9:01 pm 
Clockwork Personnel

read the other posts... Thats the gamma bug, and only latest wine has updates, not ubuntu packages.

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2011 9:16 pm 
Shortbus

I read the other posts, I tried the script, and that doesn't change anything, I don't have any update for wine too, but it seems I have the latest version of it (1.3.27).

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2011 10:30 pm 
Shortbus

like I said, I think steam adds a couple seconds' lag or something to the game opening. Just make a new script with just the xgamma command, open up a terminal via keyboard shortcut once the screen is black, and run it.

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2011 11:06 pm 
Shortbus

Oh yeaaah, that worked! Ty, I hadn't read this tip.

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug, 2011 11:52 pm 
Shortbus

So how many fractions of a frame per second are you getting now that you can see the game? :P

PostPosted: Sun 28 Aug, 2011 5:11 am 
Clockwork Personnel

Fixed in 1.3.27 http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12912

PostPosted: Sun 28 Aug, 2011 5:46 pm 
Shortbus

It's stay at 60/90 fps by my side, with a 8600gt nvidia. So it's completly playable! ^^.

Edit: Joking, that wasn't playable at all, I must have something like 2 fps U_u. But at least, no more black screen!!!

And sorry Scar, actually, I hadn't the latest version, only on PoL, so I make it work with PoL.

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2011 2:42 am 
Clockwork Personnel

One step at a time, Official branch of wine is slow, cause they have a standard on "how" things get fixed.

A few test runs have had good frame rates, just nothing that we can put into a "how to" or really any widely reproducible set of steps.
It's still a waiting game, but one in which we are making progress.

If anything, I might try to get a bug list together for you all to track if you want. (and vote up their priority :p )

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2011 3:02 am 
Dart

Success!

(Ok, not really, because its runs at 2fps, but its the closest I've gotten SPAZ to run on Linux :P)

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2011 3:35 am 
Shortbus

What's that Nitendo DS Linux computer thing?

Quote:
If anything, I might try to get a bug list together for you all to track if you want. (and vote up their priority :p )

Yeah, that might be a good idea! In case of we'll see some ugly bugs after the fps one. :D

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2011 3:13 pm 
Shortbus

Ok, I cheated. Instead of going the Wine route (which resulted in unplayable FPS, but a running game, with 1.3.26), I decided to fire up a WinXP VM through Virtualbox. After enabling 3D hardware acceleration, it runs at a great frame rate! However, there are some unresolved issues with the mouse pointer that I haven't figured out.

I realize it's not an option for everyone (who wants to buy a 10 year old OS?), however, if you can figure out the mouse issue, it's more playable than Wine right now. At least until 1.3.27 comes out.

scarletmadness - please keep up the good work. I'd like to SPAZ out on my mac while on trips :)

PostPosted: Tue 30 Aug, 2011 10:12 pm 
Grasshopper

I confirm that SPAZ runs ok on latest wine, but the FPS is horrible. Will try alt rendering mode tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug, 2011 3:33 am 
Shortbus

scarletmadness wrote:

....I've been 'shrooming with the scarletpimpernel about these things ... I was tossed a URL..

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1928

...so I'm watching yon ewetewb video, trying to make myself believe I'm watching a win32 box
doing this fps surging thang -- fact is I could've convinced myself I was watching my linux rig
running SPAZ in cxg/wine ... well, not quite, the win32 box seems to be achieving a higher fps
overall ... however the somewhat rythmic fps surging/stutter is almost exactly the same...

....when asked what my first best guess of the probable cause might be, I said "I dunno" =) ...
that expanded to "has anyone tried this on single CPU?", because it reminded me of how the
early version of the Unreal engine used to totally freek when it saw a dual-core cruncher...

...I just did this test run, and it looks like my noodles notion correctly... errr,,, the rig is fitted
with an AMD-II x4 840 quadcore w/ 4gb ram & nvidia 9800gt w/ 1024vram. It's a CLFS build
so distro comparisons are useless, but ftr it a pristine linux-2.6.34 w/ nvidia 256.53 prop. drivers.
I used cxg-10.1.1 for my winecore (~wine1.3.9) which still has that gamma bug, so all I do to
work around that is issue 'watch -n 5 xgamma -gamma 1.0' in an xterm (it doesn't hurt to bang
the gamma values continually). Now, initially I just built a non-smp kernel and booted that (trust
no-one =) but same hold true for an smp kernel booted with the 'maxcpus=0' bootparam...

...that seemingly clears the surging and shudders in fps ... noticeably better framerates overall
me thinks..(feature request == fps counter PLZ) ... can/could someone else verify/recreate this'all,
preferably on some different CPU/GPU combo as well...

..one could -try- binding cpu_affinity with taskset, but last time I went there with the Unreal engine,
it was a pita and didn't always work....

...oh, saw another post here walking this way... deb6 on a Mac ; did it to the 11,2 iMac here a few
weeks back...prolly about a week after paying for MacOS 10.7.0 and coming away totally unimpressed.
I can think of other things I could've bought with that money .. cheesecake for example ... but I'm
glad I did it, if for no other reason than to compare Aplle's Ati video drivers against the proprietary
linux Ati drivers ... guess what? They're both absolute rubbish =) I've been having a fun time isolating
what exactly could be deemed MacOS bug, and what are actually something more common...still, I
suppose if you reshape (ostensibly) a Dell laptop and stuff it in an iMac case with custom firmwares,
it's bound to be a minefield ... <grin>... deb6 is quick and easier, the HD5670 sucks donkeys...

..your hair is not your own....

da_clam

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug, 2011 9:34 am 
Shortbus

Tayk 4/2...

...goodgrief.... I just did the same on the 11,2 iMac...(july-2010 model w/ HD5670/512mb vram),
boy-howdy ... don't that make a difference there... took it from being a total waste of time to
a thing that SPAZ is actually playable on =) You can't do this in MacOS by and by ; Apple
doesn't allow user control of cpu_affinity and suchlike (at least, that's certainly the case in
MacOS 10.6.x and I'd be stunned if they changed it in 10.7.x )... same software test conditions....

...that was with...umm... debian 6.0.2a 32bit build & latest Ati proprietary drivers ... it'd say it runs
on par with the linux rig (which is just that little bit better naturally 'coz of the videocard/GPU
setup being that little bit better), but I imagine if the penguin was fitted with a HD57xx it'd return
around the same results... sadly (or joyously =) there's no way to recreate this with wine in
MacOS ... if I could boot that OS to one core, I WOULD .. it'd best intensely interesting to see
if there were any gains there ..but I can't, so pfffft!...(I suppose I could stick a BSD on it .. +)

..never mouth a gift horse in the look....

da_clam

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep, 2011 1:04 pm 
Shortbus

To summarise above posts: If you set the wineserver process to use the same CPU as the spaz processes, then the framerate no longer sucks.

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep, 2011 5:37 am 
Shortbus

Hm. He's right. That sped it up from about .5 FPS to 5FPS. Still not playable, but much less unusable.

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep, 2011 10:41 am 
Shortbus

..hardware specs?... observation remains that .5 fps ->> 5fps is -still- an order of 10
improvement, and that's plenty strange ...oh, and kick me hard -- I should have
mentioned that was in default mode, ie; directx compatibility mode OFF...

..and I reiterate ; don't trust taskset as a testing ground -- the kernel is still in
SMP mode like that, and as such still subject to the scheduler, and this is, in part,
where I suspect the wheelbarrow goes wobbly (or at a minimum, other pending
tasks of a process with higher priority will be serviced before the wine/spaz processes
are depending on their nice values, which is why SMP mode can mislead)...

..the chips at the bottom of the packet are saltier....

da_clam

*errata - 'will be serviced {on another core}'

PostPosted: Mon 05 Sep, 2011 11:34 pm 
Shortbus

Intel core 2 duo @ 2.20Ghz
Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS
2 gigs of Ram
Running ubuntu Natty 64 bit (I know, don't need it, but I plan to add more ram)

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2011 2:23 pm 
Shortbus

I tried the taskset too and got similar results, ie. from 0,5 FPS to maybe 5 on average. However, as long as no sound effects are playing, it seems naturally smooth. For example, consider the ships in the menu background: if they are not shooting, then everything is smooth. When they start shooting each other, then the slideshow begins. But as soon as sounds stop playing (even if there still were some visual FX in the screen) everything is smooth again. Disabling wine audio driver didn't help, though. I'm using an AMD Phenom II and Catalysts with HD 5770, so I don't think it's related to GPU at least as others have used NVIDIA.

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2011 11:21 am 
Shortbus

Considering that the engine is Torque, would it take so much time to make a Linux port or something? :/

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2011 2:55 pm 
Clockwork Personnel

There is going to be a MAC Port, I believe.
Some talk of a Linux port, tho I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2011 5:07 pm 
Shortbus

That would be like a dream, having SPAZ running on Linux through the Desura linux client. :p

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 12:43 pm 
Clockwork Personnel

Well folks, the current last word on the matter is, that it will not run unless you boot your kernel single core for the time being.
Doubt much will change in regards to this issue for a while.

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 4:25 pm 
Shortbus

I've done some more testing, and I can see no difference between running the kernel single core and using taskset to force the wineserver process on cpu 0. If anything, it runs better in smp mode, since other processes go on a different core.

It runs fine, but sometimes the framerate tanks.

There is no correlation with the selected resolution.
I run with all graphics options off, and effects/debris quantity on minimum (if left = less, there is no high/low indication with those sliders)

The most noticable and easily reproducable place is on the star map. When your mouse enters one of the "show colony", "show mining" or "show science" buttons on the top-right, it hangs for a moment, and then starts drawing fluently again.

In-game I can't really pinpoint the exact reason that causes the framerate to drop, but it happens more in bigger battles than in smaller ones. I think it's related to objects being spawned, but I can't say for sure.