MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Thu 14 Dec, 2017 5:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Resolution Too High Crash
PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2012 3:30 am 
Shortbus

Trying to run SPAZ on my Vostro 1400 laptop. I have a Nvidia 8400M GS graphics card, fully updated drivers. Tried b_settings fix. Tried canvas.cs.dso fix. Nothing has worked. It crashes upon activating the executable, saying the resolution too high. It claims 1650x1050, but my native resolution is 1280x800. I don't even get to the launcher.

I pre-ordered this a long time ago and have finally gotten around to trying it for the first time. To say that I am not happy is an understatement.

Attachments:
console.log [1.56 KiB]
Downloaded 85 times

Post subject: Re: Resolution Too High Crash
PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2012 5:49 pm 
Hound

In the settings file there, try setting your resolution by hand, and settings this ..

$pref::Video::displayDevice = "OpenGL";

instead of ..

$pref::Video::displayDevice = "D3D";

D3D might be giving out troubles. You can also just delete this file, resetting your defaults. Let me know how it goes.

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2012 8:58 pm 
Developer

Looking at this now. One thing to be prepared for is that the Vostro does not meed min requirements for SPAZ. Here is the listing from Steam:

Processor: 2.5 GHz Processor
Memory: 1 GB Available System Memory
Hard Disk Space: 250 MB Available HD Space
Video Card: 256MB 3D DirectX 9 Compatible video card
DirectX®: 9.0
Additional: OpenGL: 3.0

What this means is that even if we get this working, late game it may run very poorly as the CPU is likely to get bound up severely.

Where did you purchase SPAZ, perhaps we can get you a refund. I fear that even if we figure out the video card issue, the game will not be fun for you to play if it is all lagged out. You can send a mail to contact@spazgame.com with the details.

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2012 9:25 pm 
Shortbus

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, "D'oh!" I remember now that I actually kicked around the beta back when I pre-ordered it over a year ago, but I set it aside until it was officially released. I don't know what changed between now and then, but I sent my email anyway. I appreciate this customer service. From what I have seen and what is being considered a solution to this problem, it is really above and beyond what I expected. Hopefully, I can do business again with Minmax games, except with a better PC!

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2012 9:35 pm 
Developer

We really wish you could play SPAZ too, but your enjoyment will really suffer at < 2.5 gHz. If you let me know which distributor service you bought it from, I can contact my accounts manager with them to try to expedite this for you as well. I will need the name you bought the game under so they can find you. You can send this info to contact@spazgame.com so things remain anonymous on the board :)

PostPosted: Mon 13 Aug, 2012 6:25 pm 
Developer

Yup, 2.1 GHz is kind of the bottom end of playable. 1.6GHz will not work well at all.