MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Thu 14 Dec, 2017 5:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Blue screen on startup
PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul, 2012 1:31 pm 
Shortbus

I've been getting blue screen crashes when I start the game, I've tried other solutions I've seen here, deleting the settings. So I think it's time to ask for help. It used to run fine on my computer windowed, and now, instant crash...
Thank you for your time and help!

Attachments:
console.log [3.67 KiB]
Downloaded 72 times
DxDiag.txt [36.47 KiB]
Downloaded 74 times

Post subject: Re: Blue screen on startup
PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul, 2012 2:49 pm 
Developer

Hmm, are you able to try directX compatibility mode? Does the launcher run?

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul, 2012 3:21 pm 
Shortbus

I've tried to use the directX compatibility mode, and the launcher runs 9 times out of 10.

Full story: over the weekend it worked fine in windows mode, it was the first time I've played in months since I have time again. When I shut it down and restarted the game later that day (with out a reboot) the computer blue screen crashed and reset.

Since then I've tried most of the solutions I've seen here, the deleting the settings, worked once, the using the new canvas file worked once, and every time it's a full computer crash.

also it's awesome that you trouble shoot.

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jul, 2012 2:31 am 
Developer

Is it possible that SPAZ is overheating your CPU? BSoDs are not something we really get reports of commonly and lead me to believe this may be a hardware failure imminent. I also recommend backing up your email etc. Just a gut reaction from my old IT days, but BSoD = backup time.

Can you give the demo a try as well? It is ancient and I am wondering if it has the same problem?

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jul, 2012 4:54 am 
Shortbus

so far I've tried, full re-install, instant BSoD, nothing in the console log, since I didnt make it to the launcher screen.
Demo, BSoD after clicking start new game (it does load, so thats something) Console log attached.

I dont think it's hardware since I just booted up skyrim on high settings in windows mode.

Attachments:
console.log [3.5 KiB]
Downloaded 75 times

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jul, 2012 4:52 pm 
Developer

Hmm, something must have changed on your system between the time it worked and does not work. Perhaps a driver update? I see you have a 6900 video card. This was the one card that gave us a LOT of problems in the past. Pretty much everyone with that card needed to run DX compatibility mode. If you do a search for "6900" in the forums you will see. Since then, ATI has patched their drivers and fixed this issue. Are you on the latest drivers? Also are you running your drivers in such a way that they force settings on the game?

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jul, 2012 5:20 pm 
Shortbus

Sadly, I have the latest drivers. This is the only program that BSoD and it's enough of a mystery that it'll drive me crazy. The odd thing is that I played for a few hours over the weekend, and it was fine, heck, even had VLC running on a second monitor so I can have a movie playing in the background.

After that game, I changed the resolution to be a bit lower than 1650 windowed, and thats when I started having issues. But then I tried to change them back to what did work, and I had instant crashes sometimes, at the launcher screen, sometimes I get to the new game screen and then BSoD, once it made it to the game but the window for the game was flashing.

The last last time I played was months ago, I only had 1 video card then, and now I have two in there. Does that make a difference?

What I dont get is, it's not a crash, but a blue screen, and that makes me think it's something on my side, not the game, but again this is the only program that does that.

I'm half tempted to use this as an excuse to get an SSD HD and/or reformat my computer from scratch, but that may be a bit extreme.

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jul, 2012 7:01 pm 
Developer

Well I do know it is not the game if that helps, and I do believe it is the start of a hardware failure or at least some conflict. Reason that I know it is not the game is we actually have well over 100,000 people running SPAZ without this issue. SPAZ is actually very very stable, BUT it does use an old single threaded engine that may make your machine run in a way that newer engines do not.

One thing to try is to turn off the second card and see what happens. That does seem like something that could cause issues. Especially since that has changed since you last had SPAZ running reliably.

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jul, 2012 7:38 pm 
Shortbus

I'll try that when I get home. I still think it's amazing that you help troubleshoot.

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jul, 2012 10:41 pm 
Developer

We really do want the game to work for everyone :)

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jul, 2012 3:10 am 
Shortbus

It crashed when I tried to have it windowed in max resolution. I then tried to play without crossfire support, it didnt crash but it was flickering, just the game, no other program in the background. I gave up and then I un-installed the game and my drivers, reloaded everything, and tried it with a lower windowed resolution... that seemed to have done the trick. I'm suspecting it was the resolution, since it did crash when I tried to max the resolution. And I hope that this is the end of my story! Now, finally back to killing zombies and pirates!

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jul, 2012 3:58 am 
Shortbus

Nope, never mind, still crashing. This time I noticed the error report on the blue screen, once it said Cache_Manager (or something like that) and the second time, Bad_Pool_Header ...

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jul, 2012 4:26 am 
Developer

Geez. It seems that the crashes are actually random. Out of curiosity, is it very hot where you are? One thing I used to try to combat BSods was to take the side panel off peoples' computers. The random nature of this is making me think it is heat or bad ram now. If you have a table fan, take off the side panel and blow it into the case, just to see if this helps.