MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Sun 17 Dec, 2017 12:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: sound issue
PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2012 11:27 am 
Shortbus

during fights with a lot going on, i get a problem with sound.. its as if only so many sounds can be played at once, and when the limit is hit, whatever sound is next in a "queue" i suppose, will simply be mute and not play until there is a space for the particular source to play, its not a specific sound that stops either, its everything

edit: sound blaster audigy with what i think is the latest drivers, quite hard to find them for this old card

edit: might be worth mentioning that i use windows 7 and also suffer from the low mic volume despite it being set to max+boost, perhaps they are linked

Post subject: Re: sound issue
PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2012 7:02 pm 
Shortbus

anyone has some input? anything..

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2012 9:49 pm 
Developer

Sorry for the late reply. We have been heads down working on the Mac port, testing and bug fixing. Let the board slide a bit. Sorry about that.

The sound issue is known but not usually super noticeable unless you know what to listen for. We limit the sound system to 64 sounds at a time. This sounds like a lot, but it is not really. Since all the engines etc take up sound real estate. Is this something you just kind of notice or does it seem like there is a game breaking bug going on?

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2012 3:59 am 
Shortbus

it happens all the time blorfy, 64 sounds seems a bit much.. i use sunspot with triple mount cannon and 2 drone pods, a raven with 2 cannon and a colt with 3 cannon, and then theres the enemy.. so that accounts for what, half of the limit at the most? i cant explain why this is happening, its not game breaking though, its just sounds, but id rather hear everything that is going on rather than this

could my sound card be limiting the cap somehow? i have been having trouble with it lately, bf3 sound infrequently cuts out when im flying a chopper and stuff which is another issue entirely but not if its the card causing this then i could easily replace it

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2012 6:12 am 
Developer

Hmm it is really hard to say what it could be. The game shouldn't sound bad, that never has come up really as a criticism, but it is hard to know what you are hearing vs. what you should be hearing. If you are having sound issues with other games as well, then it leads me to believe that it must be hardware related.

The thought occurs to me that perhaps you could watch someone play SPAZ on OnLive. This is like watching a video stream, so there is just one big old sound channel playing. That would let you know if it is something SPAZ is doing that offends your ear, vs. a hardware issue limited to your machine. I am assuming that is you watch a video on youTube for example, the sound is fine.

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2012 6:39 am 
Shortbus

sound isnt garbled or anything, sound quality never changes, some sounds simply dont play when a lot is going on, main one is cannon fire when im full auto..

maybe i can make a video of it.. shouldnt be too hassling to upload, then you can see the problem first hand, so to speak

here are the vids, fps got fairly low while recording but you should easily be able to tell when the sound vanishes for some effects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbZojnS3U28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6-rSNUULuU

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2012 9:29 pm 
Shortbus

anything?

PostPosted: Sat 26 May, 2012 6:07 pm 
Volley

NuPe wrote:
anything?

Have a little patience. ;)

The devs simply can't analyze and respond within a 3 hour timespan.

Official SPAZ mod package (v2.0) Cause people cant find links anymore

PostPosted: Sat 26 May, 2012 8:18 pm 
Shortbus

it wasnt a 3 hour timespan, it was... 15 hours :P not looking for anything short of a temp solution, or some insight derived from the videos i posted

PostPosted: Sun 27 May, 2012 8:07 pm 
Developer

Sorry for the slow reply. This issues is not as high a priority as the Mac port, but we do our best to respond quickly. Looking at the videos, it seems that the sound system is simply overwhelmed. It looks like most if not all of the ships are using the particle cannon and shooting with such vigour that those 64 channels are getting swamped. That particular gun can recharge its shots faster than the sound file for the initial shot can play, so they may stack. Were you to switch to pulse cannons for example, the problem would be much less pronounced. There isn't really much we can do to change this issue for you unfortunately.

PostPosted: Mon 28 May, 2012 11:27 am 
Shortbus

changed all weaponry to pulse cannons and the problem persists, my 4 ships firing at one ship and the sounds begin to cut out, so this problem is clearly on your end, and you cant or wont fix it?

is there absolutely no way to increase the channels? cause to me this isnt a small issue, if the sounds cut out from so little and you think this is acceptable then what do you suggest i do now?

PostPosted: Mon 28 May, 2012 1:49 pm 
Volley

does eat shot in a single volley from a particle gun have its own sound or is it one sound for the volley?

PostPosted: Mon 28 May, 2012 5:15 pm 
Developer

@NuPe,

I am not sure what to do here as this is the first complaint about the sound that I can remember so I think that there must be something on your end exacerbating the issue. We cannot up the sounds to 128 channels safely without risking compatibility problems for other machines. It may in fact be that we are playing too many sounds for your card if it is older as you say and some are simply being skipped. The older card coupled with the problems you mentioned in BF3 makes me think it is a more likely a hardware scenario since unless there is an absolute armada of ships fighting on my end, the sound seems fine. In your vids it is very noticeable, and if this was common I would expect to hear constant complaints about the intermittent sound. It is possible as I said above to overwhelm the sound system, but it shouldn't be in the case you showed above. In any case, we will happily figure out a refund if you wish, just contact us at contact@spazgame.com with purchase details. We want you to be satisfied one way or another.

Also,
Most modern pc motherboards have onboard sound cards, you may be able to activate that a as test as well.

Another thing to look at are some lets plays on you tube. Some of the battles get pretty intense and in those vids the sound seems fine as well. There is a fairly long series here you can check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFypWMpztrc&feature=channel&list=UL

PostPosted: Mon 28 May, 2012 5:42 pm 
Developer

@ViroMan
Each volley has a sound. So if there is a burst of 5 projectiles, there will be 1 sound. HOWEVER, each impact per particle has a sound, so if 5 projectiles are fired as a burst, and all 5 hit, you would expect 5 impact noises. This is why the particle cannons can cause pain to the sound system, not so much the firing, but the impacts. These sounds are given a lower priority though and are not allowed to override engine noises and have a pretty sharp distance falloff. Sounds that are too far away will no be played unless they are special (like space stations exploding for example) There is a lot of juggling going on. :)

The sound system has actually been almost untouched for the last 18 months, so the issue above is a bit of a surprise and is leading me to believe that there are other factors at play here.

PostPosted: Mon 28 May, 2012 6:02 pm 
Developer

This thread also may be of use:
http://www.spacepiratesandzombies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2637&hilit=sound

PostPosted: Mon 28 May, 2012 6:33 pm 
Shortbus

very well, i apologize for jumping to conclusions when i had already stated i had sound issues in other games, im going to try unstalling/installing the sound driver, if that doesnt work i will remove the card and try onboard, failing that i'll just have to put up with it for now

and i wouldnt ask for a refund, ive had many hours of entertainment from this cheap title ever since i bought it, several playthroughs at different checkpoints depending on when i got stuck and whatnot :P current save is on chapter 4 with the strategy-esque system defense and resource generation

its just i really want this fixed, every single fight without fail the sounds simply vanish, and from what i can tell i think i drop quite a few frames too

PostPosted: Mon 28 May, 2012 7:24 pm 
Developer

Hi NuPe,

Thanks for being understanding. Please let me know if you find a successful resolution with the sound card changes. That could potentially help someone else in the future.

Also it is great to hear that you had fun with SPAZ :)

PostPosted: Mon 28 May, 2012 10:41 pm 
Volley

I have the same issue as NePe... and it probably is a sound card issue. I also have an older Creative Audigy card SB0090. I have tried both the creative drivers and the Kx drivers. I use the Kx drivers since they provide x64 drivers and creative won't(I like having more then stereo output for XP x64). Both have the same issue although I don't seem to have it as bad as NuPe, it is noticeable.

If I could I would disable my creative and go with my much newer sound system built into my motherboard but, I have a creative Inspire 5700 speaker system(I love it). There is a flaw in its design, It does no have a analog center channel input only front and back. As long as I use the DIN or optical in I can get full 5.1 surround. DIN is creative proprietary technology and no one else can signal to it properly. So using anything other then a creative card to send signals to it is not going to work. If I could get my inboard optical to output DDL all the time I could be happy. However even though it has that ability the manufactures of the board disabled that ability like 4 driver updates ago and even though everyone complains for them to bring it back they won't and I can't find the older drivers. So unless I want to spend money I don't have to get a newer speaker system I am stuck with my old speaker setup and older sound card.