MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Fri 22 Sep, 2017 10:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: amd64 builds for Linux?
PostPosted: Fri 28 Dec, 2012 3:18 am 
Shortbus

Hi! I'm one of the HIB6 customers, with a copy of SPAZ for Linux. Unfortunately, I run only pure 64-bit systems (presently Ubuntu). Can we get a native, recent build of SPAZ for Linux? Even just a plain tarball with no installer would be just fine.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: amd64 builds for Linux?
PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec, 2012 7:43 pm 
Developer

Hi Shadowfox,

I am still very new to Linux, and our port was something we paid to have done externally, so I need to ask a few probably stupid questions. :)

By pure 64 bit system, do you mean that SPAZ would run for you if you ran it as a 32 bit process, but you do not run 32 bit processes on your OS?

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec, 2012 9:48 pm 
Shortbus

Blorfy wrote:
Hi Shadowfox,

I am still very new to Linux, and our port was something we paid to have done externally, so I need to ask a few probably stupid questions. :)

By pure 64 bit system, do you mean that SPAZ would run for you if you ran it as a 32 bit process, but you do not run 32 bit processes on your OS?

Correct. I have no 32-bit libraries installed on my system, and no real wish to add the memory and disk overhead (laptop hard disk--very slow) of all the necessary supporting libraries for 32-bit processes.

You may notice that, by the same token, Microsoft has differing minimum system requirements for 32-bit vs. 64-bit Windows. Somewhat unlike: I'm also running KDE as a desktop, with Qt as a primary widgets library, plus most of the overhead of all the GTK+ and GNOME libraries, because very important things like Firefox are not compiled for Qt, nor KDE. :)

I don't have a single machine with less than 8GiB of RAM; most have at least 16GiB. Trying to run a 32-bit OS on such a machine is insanity, and wasting disk I/O and RAM on 32-bit libraries on a laptop is irritating at best. :)

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jan, 2013 10:17 pm 
Developer

Sorry for the late reply. Holidays are making my emailing spotty. Right now there is a get together upstairs and I ducked out hehe :)

It is unlikely that we will be able to make a dedicated 64 bit build for SPAZ Linux. I will inquire with our porting contact, but communication is slow at the best of times due to his work load unfortunately :(

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jan, 2013 10:29 pm 
Shortbus

Blorfy wrote:
Sorry for the late reply. Holidays are making my emailing spotty. Right now there is a get together upstairs and I ducked out hehe :)

It is unlikely that we will be able to make a dedicated 64 bit build for SPAZ Linux. I will inquire with our porting contact, but communication is slow at the best of times due to his work load unfortunately :(

Even if the chances are slim, I do appreciate you looking into the possibility.

Ideally, it shouldn't be *too* hard to do an amd64 build. It could be cross-compiled on an i386 system, in fact. The only significant problem would most likely arise from any code that turns out not to be 64-bit safe.

Now that Microsoft has told us Windows 8 is the very last Windows to have an i386 build, this would be an excellent time to have 64-bit builds for every supported OS. :)

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jan, 2013 10:37 pm 
Volley

shadowfox wrote:
Now that Microsoft has told us Windows 8 is the very last Windows to have an i386 build, this would be an excellent time to have 64-bit builds for every supported OS. :)

You mean except Windows Blue. Its supposed to be windows 8 with a few changes.