MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Fri 22 Sep, 2017 10:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Programmers and Avid Modders! COLLECT HERE!
PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2011 7:05 pm 
Clockwork Personnel

Oh nice. Thanks for sharing that :D

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 5:23 pm 
Gopher

Indeed, very interesting. I'll keep it short, or i shall start asking for unreasonable things...

My question would be how about something more subtle, like adding a damage type? would this involve simply adding a new one to the list, or would it involve adding the new one to the list and then editing every form of defence so that it understands what to do when hit by it?

Or to continue from the star cruiser info, it seems relatively obvious how to edit the ship itself (though what are these ships being compared against? also why would you do it by multipliers?), but what about once it's finished, whats the process involved in getting it onto the hull select screen? similarly I assume adding a research tree or even a tech level 11 would probably mean redesigning the entire screen

Also...what function does link point number 1 have on the star cruiser, i see the uses for 2-17 but not number 1?

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2011 2:30 pm 
Ranger

Eventually I'd like to see how it could work out if the game became so moddable that I could from a script language set up a scenario and have the engine display/play it out. At the moment I guess the game is so hardcoded that changing the gameplay entire is not an option, but for far future I'd like the possibility to have the gameplay itself entirely coded in script and fully moddable, so one could make Master of Orion clones, and Shoot'em'ups.

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2011 7:11 pm 
Shortbus

Dart wrote:
.ogg is a perfectly reasonable and normal sound container >-> I don't see the problem with editing those at all, in any capacity. The compressed container might be a bit more of a roadblock for the less technical users, but I don't see a reason not to use a specific open sound container?..

Dart wrote:
You can actually open the current game sound containers (.spz files in your game/data/audio folder) with winrar, so it's probably a normal compression algorithm used in a standard container format. The only issue I can see with modding game sounds at this moment, is that winrar claims the archives have a password. Inside are just plain old .ogg files that shouldn't be all that hard to edit.
Unless I'm missing something, and winrar actually being able to list contents is a fluke due to partially overlapping file formats.

Yeah I Opened one up.. and noticed the password thing mabye they just dont want us to have the liberty of choice.. hey.. sometimes we like to have new sounds or even gag sounds like every time you file a laser you hear someone takeing a leak or even a pulse burst haveing a fartting sound I mean hey.. uh.. yea whats the password :o..

Anways my point about it was that it was like opening something boxed up twice.. thats probly why the loading takes so long at the begining and why it laggs out during heavy combat when alot of sounds are being used at once.. I can see boxin em up to save some disk space and to make it more "tidy" I mean not alot of people like a ton of files clogging up they're system.. but personally Id rather a ton of files then a long load..

"And what do you think your doing with my 450-million terawatt subsonic disruptor drill......"

"Oh no no no.... Come back when you have a better idea..."

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2011 2:19 pm 
Shortbus

Colin wrote:
Not going to tl;dr the opening post:

If Spaz or any next installment were to allow some sort of modding interaction with the game, what would be your preferred method of interaction?
Whatever is easiest for you, to cut to the chase.
Quote:

Skinning? (replacing files physically?)
It's generally best to think of this as adding stuff to the game and then using it, instead of as replacing things. But yes, this is good and dirt simple.
Quote:
Using a modding tool?
If you build it they will come. Escape Velocity uses 'skinning' but there are zillions of fan made editors.
Quote:
Scripting language? (If So which one?)
Lua is pretty popular with the MMO crowd, and it's portable enough. When in doubt, go native. I myself speak Java and bash, though neither help here.
Quote:
Or what else?
The tools that the game was made with! Surely at some point a few scripts got bashed out to generate these files in the first place. Sanitize them as needed and let us play with them. Also we could use a few good pages of documentation detailing the data format and what the fields mean, in excruciating detail.
Quote:

How would you want to bring something to the Spaz World?

As quickly and as efficiently as possible. I would likely collaborate using git or some other version control. I would like to bring my ideas to the game by using familiar tools, perhaps through an Eclipse plugin. I want to join up with the first cool project needing coding, or likely make my own so that I can bring about even more mission types and even more sidequests. Maybe something involving an alternate universe where all the faction standings are switched, who knows.

:D

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep, 2011 9:34 pm 
Hound

Been awhile since someone posted here, is it confirmed that there will be modding tools for the next patch or just have access to uncompiled files?

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep, 2011 11:32 am 
Shortbus

Regarding the modding mechanics, I'd prefer a mixed override/hook mechanic like the one employed in the MoHo engine (supreme commander).
So you can mod existing objects or create new ones in one of two ways:
1. create the appropriate blueprints and modify the existing scripts which are then read at gamestart insead of the default ones (MoHo also has merged blueprints which means that only the modified data is read from the file and modifies the default data that was read beforehand)
or
2. create a script file that hooks into the game after it read the default data and can modify/extend it

That would enable beginner level modding (method 1) alongside high level modding (method 2).
Don't know much about the Torque engine but the torque script looks ok compared to lua and positively gorgeous compared to ERMScript

Disclaimer: I have modded a few games like Heroes 3 Wog, Ufo: Afterlight, SupCom1/2, C&C: Generals

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan, 2012 10:58 pm 
Shortbus

Hi im completely new to making mods but i was wondering if some1 here could point me in the right direction for graphical modding, like useful programs or skills i will need to learn.

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2012 3:39 pm 
Scout

Decimatarius wrote:
Hi im completely new to making mods but i was wondering if some1 here could point me in the right direction for graphical modding, like useful programs or skills i will need to learn.

GIMP is a good start, if you master GIMP you'll be great for graphical modding in the future. For 3D modeling I'd recommend Blender personally but you can't really go wrong.

I must say for modding I'd really like to see the Engine support a different interface for ship designs/blueprints for weapons, so that way we can add in our own without hitting a low "hard limit" based on the number ingame. If you guys could properly have the engine support or scale for that I'd be AMAZINGLY appreciative.